Towanda Barnes

Guest scoot

Love slips thru my fingers, was this given a release or are they all boots? I've seen ones with a photocopied esk label but what about this one recently on ebay. And what would be the value if any?

Cheers

Chris

Great version tho even if it turns out to be worthless

post-8665-1186760093_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I only heard it the other night when Sean Chapman done hes radio show.. i thought it was nice.. isn't it an LP track or have I made that up

I've googled it and did read it was on a lp. Virtually the same as the ohio players version, esp with the bongos and raspy voice.

Social source share

Love slips thru my fingers, was this given a release or are they all boots? I've seen ones with a photocopied esk label but what about this one recently on ebay. And what would be the value if any?

Cheers

Chris

Great version tho even if it turns out to be worthless

Just bought one on e-bay not sure about the label or the track,date it was pressed etc, I gave about £42 for it, what i do know it is a fantastic version of the sam williams track and about a grand less! :ohmy:

Steve

Social source share

Just bought one on e-bay not sure about the label or the track,date it was pressed etc, I gave about £42 for it, what i do know it is a fantastic version of the sam williams track and about a grand less! :ohmy:

Steve

Hi Steve i think i may of sent you a message via ebay. Small World.

Chris

Social source share

Steve

i had one of them a year ago or so. they sold for a tenner or less. loads of them on ebay. i always thought it was a re-issue. sold mine, because the sound quality was really weak (are they all like this?)

cheers,

christan

Social source share

i had one of them a year ago or so. they sold for a tenner or less. loads of them on ebay. i always thought it was a re-issue. sold mine, because the sound quality was really weak (are they all like this?)

cheers,

christan

Hard to say about the sound quality of the one pictured as its been compressed.But can be found under completed items.

Chris

Social source share

There had been 2 realeses on the Jo-Mar label

one was you know was T.Barnes version of Sam Williams and the other one that I know of is an Ohio Players track called ''Stop lying to yourself'' b/w ''Lonely Street''

Bothe these realeses are credited to Kompass Productions and an adress of 6832 Linwood Ave. Detroit MI SA-5-8176 - Motor City Pub. BMI

On the Ohio Players 45 in the deadwax has JM 1029A stamped on but no other matrix mark ? the label is molded in the vinyl.

Never seen anything else on this label design so I think that these may have been a private press, could be wrong though

Social source share

Hard to say about the sound quality of the one pictured as its been compressed.But can be found under completed items.

Chris

Have to say it having read the above :lol: ....

It's hard to "tell the sound of any record from the picture".... compressed or not :ohmy: ....

Anyway.... seriously.... loads of these about a couple or so years ago.... sold on ebay mainly by brooklyn born/group records.... one or the other or perhaps both....

A recently(ish), at the time, boot/taylor made/reissue (whatever).... usually at a set $$$$ buy it now price which gradually increased over the months....

Can't really comment on the "sound" BUT back then a "guest" of ours played it out "loud" so it sounded OK.... must add he was unaware of it's origin or authenticity until told by a few people.... didn't you %$£&@ if you're reading this :lol: ....

Edited by vaultofsouler
Social source share

Have to say it having read the above :lol: ....

It's hard to "tell the sound of any record from the picture".... compressed or not :ohmy: ....

Ok so i didn't quite word it correctly, Damn i knew i should of got a couple of c s e's :lol: mind you now there as obsolete as the records we're in to.

Social source share

Ok so i didn't quite word it correctly, Damn i knew i should of got a couple of c s e's :thumbsup:mind you now there as obsolete as the records we're in to.

:D:lol: .... too true.... try "finding" the examining board when your asked for a duplicate certificate :thumbsup: .... no longer exist :lol: ....

Anyway.... hope the rest of my post answered your query although I'm sure someone will correct it if not entirely accurate....

Soulfully.... Mark

Edited by vaultofsouler
Social source share

Ok so i didn't quite word it correctly, Damn i knew i should of got a couple of c s e's :thumbsup: mind you now there as obsolete as the records we're in to.

And what a result that is.... since leaving school I seem to have more CSE's than I took... well on my CV :thumbsup:

Social source share

Actually, I'm just taking a quick break from laying out an entire feature dedicated to the work of Johnny Brantley/Vidalia productions. There's lots of info about Gloria "Towanda" Barnes in the article. It will be published in the 5th issue of There's That Beat! which comes out in September.

-Jason

Social source share

it is a 'private press' in that it's a fake, recently made up label that has nothing to do with detroit

That's true.

I also seem to remember someone mentioning that the address on the label was all wrong.

Repress or boot then....bet the vinyl is heavy and really shiny :thumbsup::)

Heavy, thick , shiny. Stamp looks weird and it has bad sound quality. At the bottom of the label it says "A Grew-vy Production" in a typeface that can only be made on a computer.

It could be a bootleg, or possibly a bootleg or even a bootleg. Or maybe it's just a bootleg ?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert