Standing In The Shadows Of Motown

Guest Dante

Hi all,

I've been off this thingy for a while, so I decided to post something to get back in the track.

About a month ago there was a rock movies festival over here. You know, DYlan, Nirvana, Spinal Tap and stuff. But they also showed Standing in the shadows of Motown, a documentary about the FUnk Brothers. There was about 8 people in the room, but who cares :unsure:

It has some good interviews and anecdotes about the Studio A and all the characters. It also features new performances with various singers and stuff...

Sooo...

any of you guys has seen it? What d'ya think? Is there any other documentaries or fiction films about soul worth seeing????

Cheers from mexico,

Dante

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi all,

I've been off this thingy for a while, so I decided to post something to get back in the track.

About a month ago there was a rock movies festival over here. You know, DYlan, Nirvana, Spinal Tap and stuff. But they also showed Standing in the shadows of Motown, a documentary about the FUnk Brothers. There was about 8 people in the room, but who cares :unsure:

It has some good interviews and anecdotes about the Studio A and all the characters. It also features new performances with various singers and stuff...

Sooo...

any of you guys has seen it? What d'ya think? Is there any other documentaries or fiction films about soul worth seeing????

Cheers from mexico,

Dante

Full on film release a couple of years ago

available on dvd from all good stockists if you can find one or

Amazon .co.uk

or com.

Social source share

Hi all,

Sooo...

Cheers from mexico,

Dante

Wouldn't think there's anyone on here who hasn't seen it Dante, it even got a limited cinema release.

You should be able to find it in any large retail outlet or online. Magic film though.

Social source share

Guest Goldwax

I was lucky enough to attend the world premier at the Harlem Apollo - the remaining members even performed after the screening. One of the best music documentaries ever IMO - a good reminder to pick it up on DVD :unsure:

Social source share

I was lucky enough to attend the world premier at the Harlem Apollo - the remaining members even performed after the screening. One of the best music documentaries ever IMO - a good reminder to pick it up on DVD :lol:

Was there a book of the same/similar name but about Jack Ashford ? Anyone know where I can get a copy?

Thanks in advance

Social source share

Was there a book of the same/similar name but about Jack Ashford ? Anyone know where I can get a copy?

Thanks in advance

Slutsky, Allan, Standing in the Shadows of Motown. Hal Leonard Corporation, 1989

the Book was about James Jamerson and his bass playing. It included bass charts and a CD of a number of people he influenced including paul mccartney playing Jamerson's bass lines,

There's some reviews here

https://www.amazon.com/Standing-Shadows-Mot...n/dp/0881888826

Ignore the bit about LA sessioneers playing on Motown hit singles.

Jack Ashford's book is called Motown The view from the bottom

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motown-View-Bottom...d/dp/1904408206

Edited by Felonious Munk
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert