• 12 til 8am
    • Not bovvered!

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Voted 12-8, not really bothered about start times but i dont like early finishes (anything b4 8). Reason being i like to dance all night so dont get to chat much, i enjoy the post all-nighter debrief. Usually theres nowt open before 8am like cafes or coffee shops.

I rarely miss the 100 club and imo the new hours are a bit give and take, i like the early start, and that we get more time in there but its only McDonalds that is open at 6, Starbucks was a lot more civilised and didnt smell of saturday night puke.

Early starts-late finishes. thats the way to go. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Voted 12-8 because i usually don't get to any nighter before 11 anyway, especially with travelling. Also it feels like the early starts split the crowd into soulnight only, soulnight/nighter and nighter only crowd, with the first two clearing off about 2-3 o'clock. Been to a couple recently which started about 8 but were half empty by 3, no fault of the music policy just stretched too far in appeal.

Having said all that, at the last two Middletons i was totally knackered by 6... :boxing: even starting at 11.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

I voted for starting late for the same reasons as above.

If it starts at 8.00/9.00 then some people treat it as a soul nite n leave around 2.00/3.00 am.

so you lose the 'niter' atmosphere.

Also it gives people a chance to attend local soul nites b4 going on to a niter, a point made on a number of other threads on here.

Personally i would favour an even later start but maybe thats just the romantic in me.

Helen

XXXX

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Also it gives people a chance to attend local soul nites b4 going on to a niter, a point made on a number of other threads on here.

Personally i would favour an even later start but maybe thats just the romantic in me.

Helen

XXXX

Soul night then the option of a nighter is a good idea. That's the way it used to be, we would meet up locally at a disco at a Working Men's club or Youth Club which played some northern until about 11 (last orders) and then onto the nighter starting at 12. Anyone who didn't fancy the nighter went home.

I remember when i was about 12 watching the olders lads and girls from Nuneaton coming into the Stockingford Labour Club disco on a Friday night with their bags and patches etc.. then about 10.30 they would all go and get the train to Wigan. A couple of years later that was me too.

Social source share

It's all about making money I'm afraid.......Trying to find a venue that will put on an allnighter isn't easy. Getting staff to run the bar, and good security to work from 12 till 8, is nigh on impossible.....The venue owners aren't stupid, and don't want to open at 12, for people who have been elsewhere drinking for hours, then come in and drink bottled water till 8am. They don't do it for the love of our music. They do it for hard cash.

I used to open at 11pm, and close at 6am. [there's no way that the owner or the staff would work later than that.] And don't forget, it takes at least another hour to pack up, and clean up for the next night. I was talked into starting at 10pm, so as to give people a chance to DJ, and show us what they can do.....The staff moan about the time every month. They want to get home from work, just like we do.....

Phil.

Social source share

It's all about making money I'm afraid.......Trying to find a venue that will put on an allnighter isn't easy. Getting staff to run the bar, and good security to work from 12 till 8, is nigh on impossible.....The venue owners aren't stupid, and don't want to open at 12, for people who have been elsewhere drinking for hours, then come in and drink bottled water till 8am. They don't do it for the love of our music. They do it for hard cash.

I used to open at 11pm, and close at 6am. [there's no way that the owner or the staff would work later than that.] And don't forget, it takes at least another hour to pack up, and clean up for the next night. I was talked into starting at 10pm, so as to give people a chance to DJ, and show us what they can do.....The staff moan about the time every month. They want to get home from work, just like we do.....

Phil.

you read my mind Phil. :thumbsup: spot on.

Dont people get better value for money anyway with a longer session??. 8 - 6am is ten hours. midnight til 8.am is only 8 hours and I'm sure people wouldn't drop the admission cost for providing less hours because the costs to run it will still be the same..

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

you read my mind Phil. :) spot on.

Dont people get better value for money anyway with a longer session??. 8 - 6am is ten hours. midnight til 8.am is only 8 hours and I'm sure people wouldn't drop the admission cost for providing less hours because the costs to run it will still be the same..

Jayne.x.

No, i don't think anyone gets value from a longer session. The people attending early and treating it like a soul night miss the better DJs who are usually on later and those there for the nighter suffer because the atmosphere dies about 3am. Quality not quantity IMO.

Good point about the sale of water instead of beer but I don't understand why there would be a problem with bar staff working nights. People work nights all over the country without complaint. I'm sure the barstaff get the days off. Plus there are plenty of people out of work who would be glad of the money.

The poll says it all, bring back the late start :thumbsup:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert