• Replies 24
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

This is the house where love died - first choice

UK PYE - ADVANCE COPY

If this 45 is real, then it must be so rare and how much would it go for in today market ?

WOW! never heard of that one mate, as you say must be rare, sorry i can`t answer your question, first time ive heard of that one :thumbsup:

Social source share

UK PYE - ADVANCE COPY

If this 45 is real, then it must be so rare and how much would it go for in today market ?

AHHHH ,the memories come flooding back :thumbsup:

sure i have a sound file of this somewhere,will have a search unless Mark digs it out first.

Social source share

UK PYE - ADVANCE COPY

" TITHWLD " had been intended / scheduled to be released by Pye , but was withdrawn for undisclosed reasons .........

I have checked a label discography for Pye , and in respect of the year the record was released , there are many 7N prefix numbers that are blank , never having had titles allocated to them : it is very likely that " TITHWLD " was one of these .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

I see their First Choice theme 12" went for nearly £100 acouple of days ago

Apparantly rare on 7inch

if you want to know anything about / concerning FC , then Ian Dewhirst is your man ........

Referring back to " TITHWLD " , the record flopped badly upon release in the States .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

" TITHWLD " had been intended / scheduled to be released by Pye , but was withdrawn for undisclosed reasons .........

I have checked a label discography for Pye , and in respect of the year the record was released , there are many 7N prefix numbers that are blank , never having had titles allocated to them : it is very likely that " TITHWLD " was one of these .......

Malc Burton

My pal Dave was head of US A & R at Pye when this was scheduled to come out - in fact it was he who scheduled it. He told me, many years ago. that he thought it had gotten as far as the test pressing stage, but that he had no idea what might have happened to the TPs.

He'd worked for another two record labels by the time that we had this conversation, so there's no guarantee that his memory is absolutely accurate. But it's tantalising to thing that there may have been as many as ten white label TP's (Pye's standard order for intital TP approval, apparently) floating about in 'collectorland' at some point.

Social source share

My pal Dave was head of US A & R at Pye when this was scheduled to come out - in fact it was he who scheduled it. He told me, many years ago. that he thought it had gotten as far as the test pressing stage, but that he had no idea what might have happened to the TPs.

He'd worked for another two record labels by the time that we had this conversation, so there's no guarantee that his memory is absolutely accurate. But it's tantalising to thing that there may have been as many as ten white label TP's (Pye's standard order for intital TP approval, apparently) floating about in 'collectorland' at some point.

theres also a pye acetate of appreciations - i cant hide it, which was due to be released on pye, but, then shelved

Social source share

theres also a pye acetate of appreciations - i cant hide it, which was due to be released on pye, but, then shelved

No way! I say this because that was a late 70's discovery, Pye wouldn't have been interested, it did come out on Soul Supply and they may have used Pye's facilities to cut acetates, hence Pye labels...but no way would they have been going to release a one off Northern single in 1980. In my opinion

Social source share

No way! I say this because that was a late 70's discovery, Pye wouldn't have been interested, it did come out on Soul Supply and they may have used Pye's facilities to cut acetates, hence Pye labels...but no way would they have been going to release a one off Northern single in 1980. In my opinion

YES WAY........I SAY THIS BECAUSE JOHN MANSHIP HAD IT ON HIS AUCTION LAST YEAR, SO, PYE WERE OBVIOUSLY INTERESTED IN IT, ALSO A DARRYL STEWART PYE ACETATE, WHICH WAS ALSO ON J.M'S AUCTION....

Social source share

YES WAY........I SAY THIS BECAUSE JOHN MANSHIP HAD IT ON HIS AUCTION LAST YEAR, SO, PYE WERE OBVIOUSLY INTERESTED IN IT, ALSO A DARRYL STEWART PYE ACETATE, WHICH WAS ALSO ON J.M'S AUCTION....

It sold for £186.

Here's the auction text:

Appreciations - I Can't Hide It - Pye Acetate

Colony Records, Hurts Yard, Nottingham the proprietors of the short-lived Destiny label, had this incredible monster Northern Soul tune scheduled for #1016. Ads for their future releases in Blues & Soul, Black Echoes, Northern Noise etc in 1978 confirm that, but it never got past this ORIGINAL PYE ACETATE stage. We believe this to one of only TWO ever made. THE ultimate UK collectors 45, with the USA original being a forlorn and very expensive quest.

Here's the scan:

2675.jpg

Social source share

It sold for £186.

Here's the auction text:

Appreciations - I Can't Hide It - Pye Acetate

Colony Records, Hurts Yard, Nottingham the proprietors of the short-lived Destiny label, had this incredible monster Northern Soul tune scheduled for #1016. Ads for their future releases in Blues & Soul, Black Echoes, Northern Noise etc in 1978 confirm that, but it never got past this ORIGINAL PYE ACETATE stage. We believe this to one of only TWO ever made. THE ultimate UK collectors 45, with the USA original being a forlorn and very expensive quest.

Here's the scan:

2675.jpg

Which, without having even know about this, is exactly what I said - Kev Roberts, using Pye studios.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Which, without having even know about this, is exactly what I said - Kev Roberts, using Pye studios.

Careful, Pete - you should know you can't say K-v R-b-r-s on here without it causing some sort of incident! :D

Social source share

Think I mentioned this on here a few years ago, but I'm 99% sure Dave Stubbs from Hyde (Stockport/Ashton under Lyne?) had one. I used to go to night on Tuesdays and Fridays (I think) at Dukinfield rugby club and Dave was resident DJ. He had a phenomenal British collection, much of it bought as new releases, and played predominently UK stuff in his sets. He definately used to drop First Choice and that's where a bunch of us from the Oldham area first heard the tune. My recollection is that it was one of those plain looking Pye white label jobbies with a big A in the middle and Pye in black text at the top but not a logo - like the 60s advance copies.

Anybody in contact with Dave who could get him to confirm?

Social source share

Hi Godz!!

Dave is djing at the Rat Pitt in Stockport on friday 14 June. I will ask him about it..You are correct about his UK collection, although when i was speaking to him a few weeks ago he was selling some off to buy new stuff, not just UK either.. also a very nice chap is Dave

Cheers John

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert