Guest Andy..

• Replies 26
  • Views 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest the dukester

? (label) is Crow. Instrumental on the flip.

label scan of this fine tune anyone?

ALSO...

any info on the composer etc?

Edited by the dukester
Social source share

Guest the dukester

Written by Eugene Davis. Who also wrote another fabulous track(!) that goes by the same title but which Angela Davis recorded for the Crow-connected Flaming Arrow label.

Free Angela Davis eh???

Was the recording by A.D. and the Chevelles the same Chevelles as recorded with Gloria Walker ?

and can I have the A.D. one???

Cheers for the info guys :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest the dukester

Free Angela Davis eh???

Was the recording by A.D. and the Chevelles the same Chevelles as recorded with Gloria Walker ?

ANYMORE INFO WELCOME :D

Social source share

Free Angela Davis eh???

Don't think the Angela Davis on Flaming Arrow is the same person as in the "Free Angela Davis" movement, but I'm not sure. Yes, it's the same Chevelles that recorded with Gloria Walker (her "You Hit The Spot" on Flaming Arrow is also fabulous in my opinion). I think you have about as much (or even less of a) chance of obtaining a copy of the Angela Davis "My Love Is So Strong" 45 as you have of the Joseph Webster on Crow because it's extremely rare.

Social source share

Don't think the Angela Davis on Flaming Arrow is the same person as in the "Free Angela Davis" movement, but I'm not sure. Yes, it's the same Chevelles that recorded with Gloria Walker (her "You Hit The Spot" on Flaming Arrow is also fabulous in my opinion). I think you have about as much (or even less of a) chance of obtaining a copy of the Angela Davis "My Love Is So Strong" 45 as you have of the Joseph Webster on Crow because it's extremely rare.

Don't think they are the same Angela Davis. Did the one who wanted freeing ever sing?

Maybe the Angela Davis on Flaming Arrow is some relation to the owner, daughter maybe?

The Chevelles appear throughtout the Flaming Arrow/Crow catalogue so would assume they were the in house band?

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Thanx for posting this up Sebastian, I always wondered if there was a vocal to The Chevelles "The Gallop" on Flaming Arrow? and ya answered it for me! Ta! :lol:

It's not the same recording as "The Gallop" but I know what you mean, they're very similar. Those same guitar and brass riffs were re-used time and time again for different tunes on the Flaming Arrow label, i.e. "Take Me To The Bathtub" and "My Love Is So Strong" by Angela Davis, "You Hit The Spot" by Gloria Walker etc. Different recordings all of them, but with similar parts.

Angela Davis was a member of the black panther party ... Im sure youve seen her image before if you are even remotely familiar with the movement.

The "Flaming Arrow Angela Davis" and the "Black Panther Angela Davis" are two different persons. The Flaming Arrow artist looks like this:

Social source share

Guest Kevin J

The "Flaming Arrow Angela Davis" and the "Black Panther Angela Davis" are two different persons. The Flaming Arrow artist looks like this:

a7df_12.JPG

yep, two different people, but in relation to "Free Angela Davis," I am positive it is in reference to the Black Panther member. Thats all i meant to say.

Social source share

yep, two different people, but in relation to "Free Angela Davis," I am positive it is in reference to the Black Panther member. Thats all i meant to say.

You are ofcourse right about that. I thought you meant that the artist that released records on the Flaming Arrow label was the SAME Angela Davis as the one who was a member of the Black Panthers. Confusing... wacko.gif

Social source share

• 6 months later...

Great toon and Manship has one for auction which means I can watch it slip through my fingers again!!! For those that are interested I have this on file, discography for the label, cant remember where I got it from but think it was a German site I stummbled across some years back???

C-19 Nancy Butts "I Want To Hold Your Hand Baby/ Your Friend Will Take The Man You Love"

A-23 Eugene Davis "Who Can You Trust/ Ruby"

RB-26 The Might Chevelles "The Mighty Chevelles Are Back With A New Dance-Bus Stop/ Pt. 2"

ED-2829 Angela Davis & the Mighty Chevelles "My Love (Is So Strong)/ Same (Inst.)"

ED-30/ 1 Angela Davis with the Angelettes and the Black Gold Band "Georgia Bulldog/ Pt. 2"

RB-32/ 3 Angela Davis with the Angelettes "Take Me To The Bathtub/ Same (Inst.)"

FA-35 Gloria Walker "Talking About My Baby/ The Gallop" (B-side by the Chevelles)

FA-36 Gloria Walker & the Chevelles "Please Don't Desert Me Baby/ Need Of You"

FA-37 Gloria Walker "You Hit The Spot Baby/ Walking With My New Love"

FA-38 Nancy Butts "Go On To Her/ You're Gonna Need Somebody" 1969

FA-39 Nancy Butts "Let Me Be Free/ Please, Please Tell Me"

C-46/ 7 James Havior "Jumpin With Popeye/ Holding My Hand" (B-side by Corzette Holly)

C-46/ 50 James Havior "Jumpin With Popeye/ Hot Pants" (B-side by J. Star)

C-50 J. Star "Hot Pants/ Sweet Sweet Thing" (B-side by J. Star and Cozette)

C-53/ 57 The Davis Two Plus One "Momma, I Been A Bad Girl/ Doctor Strangelove"

FA-52 J. Star "Hello Baby/ Meat Ball"

FA-58 Jean Shannon and Terri-ri "He And She/ He And She (Inst.)"

FA-226 Nancy S. "Try My Love/ ???"

FA-238 Angela Davis & the Chevelles Band "Love Bumpin'/ Pt. 2"

FA-319 Angela Davis & Rueben Fisher "Time Don't Wait For No One/ ???"

ED-1510/ 1100 Angela Davis and Father "Black Gold/ Barefoot Boy"

Social source share

Great toon and Manship has one for auction which means I can watch it slip through my fingers again!!! For those that are interested I have this on file, discography for the label, cant remember where I got it from but think it was a German site I stummbled across some years back???

C-19 Nancy Butts "I Want To Hold Your Hand Baby/ Your Friend Will Take The Man You Love"

A-23 Eugene Davis "Who Can You Trust/ Ruby"

RB-26 The Might Chevelles "The Mighty Chevelles Are Back With A New Dance-Bus Stop/ Pt. 2"

ED-2829 Angela Davis & the Mighty Chevelles "My Love (Is So Strong)/ Same (Inst.)"

ED-30/ 1 Angela Davis with the Angelettes and the Black Gold Band "Georgia Bulldog/ Pt. 2"

RB-32/ 3 Angela Davis with the Angelettes "Take Me To The Bathtub/ Same (Inst.)"

FA-35 Gloria Walker "Talking About My Baby/ The Gallop" (B-side by the Chevelles)

FA-36 Gloria Walker & the Chevelles "Please Don't Desert Me Baby/ Need Of You"

FA-37 Gloria Walker "You Hit The Spot Baby/ Walking With My New Love"

FA-38 Nancy Butts "Go On To Her/ You're Gonna Need Somebody" 1969

FA-39 Nancy Butts "Let Me Be Free/ Please, Please Tell Me"

C-46/ 7 James Havior "Jumpin With Popeye/ Holding My Hand" (B-side by Corzette Holly)

C-46/ 50 James Havior "Jumpin With Popeye/ Hot Pants" (B-side by J. Star)

C-50 J. Star "Hot Pants/ Sweet Sweet Thing" (B-side by J. Star and Cozette)

C-53/ 57 The Davis Two Plus One "Momma, I Been A Bad Girl/ Doctor Strangelove"

FA-52 J. Star "Hello Baby/ Meat Ball"

FA-58 Jean Shannon and Terri-ri "He And She/ He And She (Inst.)"

FA-226 Nancy S. "Try My Love/ ???"

FA-238 Angela Davis & the Chevelles Band "Love Bumpin'/ Pt. 2"

FA-319 Angela Davis & Rueben Fisher "Time Don't Wait For No One/ ???"

ED-1510/ 1100 Angela Davis and Father "Black Gold/ Barefoot Boy"

Some Crow additions....The numbering system is used for both labels. We had pretty detailed discussionor two on the RSF about this label. I'll check I've updated my database with any additions.

21 Joseph Webster/The Mighty Chevelles My Love Is Too Strong /Inst (Mighty Chevelles)

36 James Habior O Baby /I Am Your Puppet (inst)

38 Ernie Moore & The Night Rockers Work Out Like You Wanta /Don't Let Everybody Tell You What To Do

39 James Havior Jumpin' With Popeye /Gilr, Girl, Girl

40 Firebirds Zip It Down And Throw It Out /Bass Groove

42 Carl Wallace Bass Groove /Foot Steps On The Moon

43 Jessie Jones My Father and Yes My Mother /Jumpin' With Popeye

Edited by chalky
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Some Crow additions....The numbering system is used for both labels. We had pretty detailed discussionor two on the RSF about this label. I'll check I've updated my database with any additions.

21 Joseph Webster/The Mighty Chevelles My Love Is Too Strong /Inst (Mighty Chevelles)

36 James Habior O Baby /I Am Your Puppet (inst)

38 Ernie Moore & The Night Rockers Work Out Like You Wanta /Don't Let Everybody Tell You What To Do

39 James Havior Jumpin' With Popeye /Gilr, Girl, Girl

40 Firebirds Zip It Down And Throw It Out /Bass Groove

42 Carl Wallace Bass Groove /Foot Steps On The Moon

43 Jessie Jones My Father and Yes My Mother /Jumpin' With Popeye

Th funny thing is that the two "Jumpin With Popeye" are not the same recording, they are totally different tunes despite the same title. Both are poor instrumentals though...

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Written by Eugene Davis. Who also wrote another fabulous track(!) that goes by the same title but which Angela Davis recorded for the Crow-connected Flaming Arrow label.

695.jpg

I just love simple, but neat labels like this.

Not for me snazzy multicoloured designs.

In fact just the fact that the label is yellow would probably see me pull it from a record box just to admire it.

Social source share

• 8 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert