Corbett80

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest in town Mikey

Joel I found this article while trying to track down some stuff on the Dee Dee label.

Ray Pettis, and Dee Dee owner the late Bobby Robinson were in a 50s harmony group called the Gems (not ours) in mid 50s Chicago. Hope it is of interest:

The Gems were formed in Chicago in 1952. The original members were Ray Pettis on lead, Bob Robinson and David Taylor on tenor, Wilson James baritone, and the bass was Rip Reed. They secured a recording date with the newly formed Drexel Record company in Chicago in May of 1954. The label was founded by Paul King of that city, and Les Caldwell who was a formerly in regional sales for the King Record Company of Cincinnati. The first release for the label was The Gems recording of "Let's Talk About The Weather" and "Deed I Do" on #901. The very next record issued by the label featured The Gems on the old pop and R & B standard ballad "Since I Fell For You" on Drexel #902. The lead singer for this release was Dorothy Logan, who sang solo on the flip side. The "Weather" side for the Gems on #901 did well for the group in the Midwest, especially in the Chicago and Gary, Indiana areas for the home town guys.

Early in 1955 The Gems recorded "Kitty From New York City" and "I Thought You'd Care" on Drexel #903. This side seemed to get lost in the rapid rise of the new sound in American music that was taking place at that time. The group on their next outing went back to a tried and true R & B standard, "Old Man River" and this was backed with "You're Tired Of Love" on #904. Once again a solid measure of success seemed to elude the group, but they were back with another Drexel release on #909 which paired "One Woman Man" and "The Darkest Night". There was some airplay and sales on this latest release but once again it was mostly confined to the Chicago area which was a common occurrence with small independent labels with poor distribution networks. There was one final recording by the group which came out in mid 1957 on Drexel #915 - "Monkey Face Baby" and "Till The Day I Die" which was a mostly unnoticed postscript for the Gems.

The memory of The Gems has been kept alive by the fans of the sound of the R & B vocal groups, and this is why the music survives after all these years. The talent and the style of all those voices from that time in the past endures today and we remember the the songs of The Gems.

Social source share

Guest HiTtHeBoNgO

Thanks Mikey, much appreciated......really like Pettis's voice.

link

joel got how long will it last on way out if you want it ...andy

Social source share

Source Advert