Soulsickdog

• Replies 19
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Not to put a dampner on your trip to New York, but finding good record shops in the big apple are few and far between. I would either

search on the internet first before you go, or look in any local newspapers when your there for any flea markets etc. When i was there last, i only found the odd shop with maybe a few Lps that frankly were not worth buying.

Social source share

hi all

has anyone got any tips i am going to new york with the good lady and i recon i will be able to go record hunting when shes shopping

record shops/flea markets please help

soulsickdog

The flea/record markets on a Sunday morning will be your best bet as you never know what can turn up there on any given Sunday. Also it's probably worth having a float around the Village Record stores as once again, you never know.....

Also I'd suggest you nip across to Brooklyn and have a dig around there as well - they have a couple of indoor flea markets that can be OK and also try:-

The Thing

1001 Manhattan Ave.

Brooklyn, NY 11222

(718) 349-8234

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

hi all

has anyone got any tips i am going to new york with the good lady and i recon i will be able to go record hunting when shes shopping

record shops/flea markets please help

soulsickdog

If you get lucky you might catch a record show at the holiday inn off Columbus Circle neck of the woods.

search on line for dates, I went to one maybe 18 months ago which was a little bizarre playin vinyl on a fisher price big bird player but picked up some good 70's albums

Social source share

Don,t know if he is still doing it but check Times Square Records out in Riverdale, North Bronx, the guy is called Lou Silvani, you would have to ring him or email him first to let him know you are coming, don,t mess his filing system up though or he will throw you out.

Kev

Social source share

Never been to the big apple, but from what I've heard/read going round Brooklyn might be your best shot.

Check out this video. Not 100% soul, but you get to see a couple of stores so you can make a better choice:

https://www.crateking...ord-store-tour/

Interesting video. I was in the Lower East side around Houston St in December. i sussed out half a dozen stores that I wanted to visit. When I got there they were all closed down due to the recession!!!

Used to be some good little shops on 5th Avenue around Washington Square.

gary

Social source share

Interesting video. I was in the Lower East side around Houston St in December. i sussed out half a dozen stores that I wanted to visit. When I got there they were all closed down due to the recession!!!

Used to be some good little shops on 5th Avenue around Washington Square.

gary

Well worth a visit , but be prepared in respect of prices , due to the staff being well versed regarding NS sides and values via JM's book , and in order to save English visitors time , there are boxes on the shelves marked " Northern Soul " ......

Bleecker Bob's Golden Oldies Record Shop

118 W. 3rd St., New York, NY 10012 / Tel . 212 - 475 - 9677

Hours : Sun - Thurs . 11am - 1am ; Fri - Sat 11am - 3am

Good pizza place next door if you get hungry ......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

ive got numerous contacts for New Jersey mate if you want to cross the bridge and get out of the big apple-Lou Silvani at times square is cds now so no luck there-used to be downstairs records on 42nd street but fleeced in the early nineties with numerous others!!Id just enjoy the city to be honest!!!tHE DIRECTORIES ARE GOOD -i dug loads of contacts out for Mick H when he went -ill see if I still have them-

BAZ A.

Social source share

I spent 10 days in New York during November last year and didn't have any problems finding good records. The record stores are heavily centred around LPs/12"s but there were good 7"s to be found in all record stores that I visited and I brought hundreds of 45s with me home. No super rarities, but good, in-demand and sometimes very obscure records were easy to find in all stores. They have all got the various price guides and are generally very clued up on prices so don't expect to find Shrine 45s for $5... I did notice though that VG+/EX- type records were considerably cheaper than they would be on eBay/dealers lists etc. and I managed to pick up cheap scratchy-looking-but-good-playing copies of some rarities. All the stores I went to were willing to negotiate on prices if you spent more than $100 or so.

As far as Manhattan goes, I'd recommend a visit to these stores:

Academy Records

12 West 18th Street, NY 10011

(between 5th Ave & 6th Ave)

Academy Records

415 East 12th Street, NY 10009

(between 1st Ave & Ave A)

Big City Records

521 East 12th Street, NY 10009

(between Ave A & Ave B )

A-1 Records

439 East 6th Street, NY 10009

(between 1st Ave & Ave A)

Gimme Gimme Records

325 East 5th Street, NY 10003

(between 1st Ave & 2nd Ave, only open fri-sat 13-22 and sun 13-19)

Good Records NYC

218 East 5th Street, NY 10009

(between 2nd Ave & 3rd Ave)

Sound Library

165 Orchard Street, NY 10002

(don't go here prior to 18:00/19:00)

Strider Records

22 Jones Street #1, NY 10014

(usually only takes want lists and you're not allowed to look through his 45s, but ask for his boxes of northern soul)

It's ofcourse crucial to have contacts if you want to get access to private collections/dealers. But as far as record stores goes, the above places served me well. Very friendly staff at all places as well.

Have a nice trip and good luck! :wicked:

Social source share

Well worth a visit , but be prepared in respect of prices , due to the staff being well versed regarding NS sides and values via JM's book , and in order to save English visitors time , there are boxes on the shelves marked " Northern Soul " ......

Bleecker Bob's Golden Oldies Record Shop

118 W. 3rd St., New York, NY 10012 / Tel . 212 - 475 - 9677

Hours : Sun - Thurs . 11am - 1am ; Fri - Sat 11am - 3am

Good pizza place next door if you get hungry ......

Malc Burton

Actually it's across the road Malc. Best pizzas in the world there. Just the job after a day's serious digging........

Ian D :D

Social source share

I spent 10 days in New York during November last year and didn't have any problems finding good records. The record stores are heavily centred around LPs/12"s but there were good 7"s to be found in all record stores that I visited and I brought hundreds of 45s with me home. No super rarities, but good, in-demand and sometimes very obscure records were easy to find in all stores. They have all got the various price guides and are generally very clued up on prices so don't expect to find Shrine 45s for $5... I did notice though that VG+/EX- type records were considerably cheaper than they would be on eBay/dealers lists etc. and I managed to pick up cheap scratchy-looking-but-good-playing copies of some rarities. All the stores I went to were willing to negotiate on prices if you spent more than $100 or so.

Strider Records

22 Jones Street #1, NY 10014

(usually only takes want lists and you're not allowed to look through his 45s, but ask for his boxes of northern soul)

It's ofcourse crucial to have contacts if you want to get access to private collections/dealers. But as far as record stores goes, the above places served me well. Very friendly staff at all places as well.

Have a nice trip and good luck! thumbsup.gif

You are right and New York is far from being the vinyl desert some people seem to want to imply...lol

Rarities in short supply but if you are looking for good Northern Soul stock, at reasonable prices there are bargains to be found everywhere. As for STRIDERS, I think you've got the criteria confused...I know the guy who runs it well, he's a doo-wop freak from the Bronx and I have spent many a day sifting thru the huge piles of Soul stock he holds. Everything by artist and literally thousands and thousands of titles. Have picked up tons of good Northern there for a third to fifty per cent of UK prices so if you are going into a store like that and you have hours and are ready to spend 500-700 dollars, you can come out with a lovely little haul of records that would cost you considerably more over here.

As a sidenote, this particular shop is in the tiny Village street that is world famous for being the street where the cover shot for 'The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan' was taken, i.e a young RZ strolling arm in arm with a girl as the sun falls over Brownstone background. So you can get yourself some nice records and a snapshot of you in the same spot!thumbsup.gif

Social source share

As for STRIDERS, I think you've got the criteria confused...I know the guy who runs it well,

That's probably why you get to look through his wall of records. I guess you have to build up some sort of trust in order for him to let you go back behind the counter. It was my first time there and he didn't know that I was prepared to spend a lot of money on records. Bob specifically told me that he "only" takes want lists. I perhaps shouldn't have taken that as literal as I did. Still managed to spend a couple of hundred dollars at his place and get away with a stack of tasty 45s... :hatsoff2:

Wouldn't mind looking through his stock someday though... :thumbsup:

post-1392-12664997473589_thumb.jpg

Social source share

hi all has anyone got any tips i am going to new york with the good lady and i recon i will be able to go record hunting when shes shopping record shops/flea markets please help soulsickdog

two links below for facegroup's New York Mod Squad put on Good artists - they always have something on - they got Tony Middleton on Next Tuesday

New York Mod Squad

Dig Deeper put on some Good Artists as well 27th Feb Tammi Lynn Dig Deeper & March 27th The Precisions

smile.gif Jon Buck

Edited by jonbuck
Social source share

This site might give you a few leads - https://fleamarketfunk.com/

Spent some time looking for tunes in New York a few years ago - a fantastic experience. Mostly 12s and albums and just a great place to spend time (and money).

I know its an obvious thing to say but don't just spend your time record-shopping in New York, there's so much else to see and do.

Cheers

Steve.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert