Southend Kursaal Last Night

Thanks to Ian Dewhirst and Russ Winstanley and everyone who attended last night at the Kursaal.Nearly 200 in and a great receptive reaction to driving uptempo sixties and seventies Northern Soul.

I double decked with Jim.....

some sounds that I played I can remember

I Will Always Love You-Vontastics

Prove Yourself A Lady-James Bounty

Gonna Get Along Without You Now-Vibrations

Youre Gonna Miss A Good Thing-John Bowie

Just As Much-Kris Peterson

Im Gonna Walk-Mickey Lanay

Thats The Way-The Q

Mr Creator-The Apollos

Suprise Party-The Vibrations

Cracked Up-Danny White

Help Me-Spellbinders

Tender Loving Care-PJ (Note to the Upsetter...this is theone)

Love And Desire-Patrice Holloway

Girl Across The Street-Moses Smith

This Beautiful Day-Levi Jackson

Am I Hot-Bill Harris

What Shall I Do-Frankie And The Classicals

Oh Baby-Phyllis Brown

In Love-Tony Galla (first ever public play with trumpets backing).

Nothing earth shattering but quality dance stuff.Watch this space....you never know there might be an allnighter in the pipeline.

Edited by wiggyflat
  • Replies 7
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest kent soul club

Thanks to Ian Dewhirst and Russ Winstanley and everyone who attended last night at the Kursaal.Nearly 200 in and a great receptive reaction to driving uptempo sixties and seventies Northern Soul.

I double decked with Jim.....

some sounds that I played I can remember

I Will Always Love You-Vontastics

Prove Yourself A Lady-James Bounty

Gonna Get Along Without You Now-Vibrations

Youre Gonna Miss A Good Thing-John Bowie

Just As Much-Kris Peterson

Im Gonna Walk-Mickey Lanay

Thats The Way-The Q

Mr Creator-The Apollos

Suprise Party-The Vibrations

Cracked Up-Danny White

Help Me-Spellbinders

Tender Loving Care-PJ (Note to the Upsetter...this is theone)

Love And Desire-Patrice Holloway

Girl Across The Street-Moses Smith

This Beautiful Day-Levi Jackson

Am I Hot-Bill Harris

What Shall I Do-Frankie And The Classicals

Oh Baby-Phyllis Brown

In Love-Tony Galla (first ever public play with trumpets backing).

Nothing earth shattering but quality dance stuff.Watch this space....you never know there might be an allnighter in the pipeline.

Some nice tunes. Sorry we missed it, intended to go but something came up and we couldn't make it.:lol:

wow! what a night!! without a doubt one of the best soul nights i've been to in years.

fantastic, hugely popular tunes all night. 2 excellent sets from the legendary Mr Winstanley. i can't remember a single tune that had less than about 6 or 8 people on the floor (none of those embarassing floor-clearers) and probably 80% of the tunes had about 20 or 30 of us dancing (or trying to - it was flipping

hot!!)

Bit of a pity about the bouncing floors knocking the needles about - but that was just down to everyones' enthusiasm to get on the floor to celebrate those superb tunes, right up to Russ's very last track. Not one of the people i spoke to had a single bad thing to say about the night.

top, TOP night. many thanks Jimmy, Kev and everyone else concerned.

next dates please!!!

That night was what Northern is all about to me.

Great stuff.

Mike.

Guest JimSLH

wow! what a night!! without a doubt one of the best soul nights i've been to in years.

fantastic, hugely popular tunes all night. 2 excellent sets from the legendary Mr Winstanley. i can't remember a single tune that had less than about 6 or 8 people on the floor (none of those embarassing floor-clearers) and probably 80% of the tunes had about 20 or 30 of us dancing (or trying to - it was flipping

hot!!)

Bit of a pity about the bouncing floors knocking the needles about - but that was just down to everyones' enthusiasm to get on the floor to celebrate those superb tunes, right up to Russ's very last track. Not one of the people i spoke to had a single bad thing to say about the night.

top, TOP night. many thanks Jimmy, Kev and everyone else concerned.

next dates please!!!

That night was what Northern is all about to me.

Great stuff.

Mike.

Glad you liked it Mike end of the day a packed dance floor all night says it all

Shame about the vibration through the decks but will sort that out for next time didn't realise how live the DJ booth was as well as the floor but

that's what you would expect putting on a do in a 150+ year old building

There are thought of doing another but plans have to be sorted absolutely awesome turn out had 178 on the night

I know full well the venue want us to do another highlight for me was the first ever play of the alt version of Tony Galla in love with horn section sounded the nuts

as for my play list cant remember them all will try to put something together

all the feed back has been positive and was talk of the ride out on Sunday

As you were aware there was a professional photographer there on the night

photos can be found on the link below and can be purchased for a small fee

Professional Photos on the Night

Edited by JimSLH
Guest aaaaa

A big thanks to jim & kev a really good night :lol: a few teething problems but to be expected on the first night at a new venue, and what a venue it really was built for northern soul, :thumbsup:

Guest JimSLH

Had a really good night out in Sunny Southend. I usually don't get much chance to dance to oldies in abundance like that and I really enjoyed it.

Wish Russ had played The Sherries for me. Last 3. Why not the first one.

Big Thanks to everyone involved.

Kev & Imogen

Kev

Thanks for that I had a great night there is one down this way again on the 25 September which is a great night

but sadly the last maybe

Kev

Thanks for that I had a great night there is one down this way again on the 25 September which is a great night

but sadly the last maybe

Well done Jim, Kev and all involved, a cracking night indeed. Wall to wall oldies certainly kept the dance floor busy. A particularly fine example of Kronenbourg on tap as well judging by the brain pain on Sunday. A few tweaks to the sound system possibly and a couple more tables for the putting down of the Kronenbourg would be all that I'd ask for :lol:

Yes we will be bidding fond farewell, adieu, so long, tara and all those things to Capone's on the 25th September.

Taff

Source Advert