45cellar

• Replies 21
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Anyone got any unusual Label Variations etc that you don't see too often.

The information I got from Motown way back in the late 70s when I started collecting this label stated that S35020, S35021, S35022, and S35023 were only on concentric circle labels. S35020 is Francis Nero, and we know there's a rarity white and purple tramlined label for that (JM auctioned one about a year ago?). I'm thinking the S35022 is also scarce on this design.

The box with all these in is over at my friends house at the moment, I'm there tomorrow evening, I'll have a look at labels I have and see if there's any varyations.

Lovin' the scans, always do. Dean

Soul_S-35022a.gifSoul_S-35022b.gif East Coast

Soul_S-35022a-2.gifSoul_S-35022b-2.gif West Coast

Old Style Label, don't see many about. It isn't a Monarch Press which surprised me as they used the older style longer than other pressing plants,

SOUL_S-35022-A-1.gifSOUL_S-35022-B-1.gif

Social source share

The White DEMO's not that easy, bought my copy from Soul Bowl way back in the 70's

Same design as yours, guessing DEMO's for other Label variations exist, West Coast etc

Soul_S-35022a_DJa.gifSoul_S-35022a_DJb.gif

Don't recall ever seeing a black/white SOUL swirl demo . . . . . . Anybody. Very interesting full label same side promo above Roger. Always appreciate your scans. Dean

Social source share

Roger - I'm back reunited with my box and sat in my label anorak. I've not got a camera here to take a pic but the design of mine is a little different. Swirl copy is the same as your black text, little alignment difference on print but just a different print run. My tram-lined SOUL purple/white unfortunately isn't as clean as yours, but may be intersting:

"WHAT BECOMES

OF THE

BROKENHEARTED"

is in speach marks, arranged as above.1966 and time are under a smaller print S 35022 on right.

"BABY I'VE

GOT IT"

arranged thus on flip, with speach marks again.

Small difference but important to me . . . . . .and I think I'm speaking to a like minded person. Let me know if you want a pic posting, as I say - sadly not a clean copy but interesting never the less. Dean

Social source share

Roger - I'm back reunited with my box and sat in my label anorak. I've not got a camera here to take a pic but the design of mine is a little different. Swirl copy is the same as your black text, little alignment difference on print but just a different print run. My tram-lined SOUL purple/white unfortunately isn't as clean as yours, but may be intersting:

"WHAT BECOMES

OF THE

BROKENHEARTED"

is in speach marks, arranged as above.1966 and time are under a smaller print S 35022 on right.

"BABY I'VE

GOT IT"

arranged thus on flip, with speach marks again.

Small difference but important to me . . . . . .and I think I'm speaking to a like minded person. Let me know if you want a pic posting, as I say - sadly not a clean copy but interesting never the less. Dean

Certainly, Many Thanks Dean, Fascinating Stuff this collecting Game.

I just love all the Label Variations that are out there, never ceases to amaze me at just how many differences there are.

Social source share

Certainly, Many Thanks Dean, Fascinating Stuff this collecting Game.

I just love all the Label Variations that are out there, never ceases to amaze me at just how many differences there are.

Here we go Roger. As I said, not a particularly clean one but will show slightly different design. This is very similar to the S35023 (Walk In My Shoes) tramlined design I have, smaller print on that one though. You wouldn't want to be sat between us at a dinner party would you, or stuck in a lift. Let's talk about record labels for a few hours eh!

post-5677-012253700 1283632817_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Here we go Roger. As I said, not a particularly clean one but will show slightly different design. This is very similar to the S35023 (Walk In My Shoes) tramlined design I have, smaller print on that one though. You wouldn't want to be sat between us at a dinner party would you, or stuck in a lift. Let's talk about record labels for a few hours eh!

post-5677-012253700 1283632817_thumb.jpg

post-5677-012253700%201283632817_thumb.j

Thanks Dean

Definitely Mate :ohmy:

Is it a Styrene Monarch Press with Delta Number, or a Vinyl Press.

Social source share

Thanks Dean

Definitely Mate :D

Is it a Styrene Monarch Press with Delta Number, or a Vinyl Press.

Anorak zipped up and ready to go:

Monarch Press, Delta 61060, stamped number T4KM - 4441 - 1 (same as swilrl design).

This is same design as my S35023 tramlined Gladys Knight - Just Walk In My Shoes / Stepping Closer to Your Heart. Monarch Press, Delta 62036, stamped number TK4M - 0402 - 1. I'm at wrong computer at the moment to upload a pic of that one, see if I can later. Coincidence T4KM and TK4M?

Now . . . . .where did I put my life??

Social source share

Anorak zipped up and ready to go:

Monarch Press, Delta 61060, stamped number T4KM - 4441 - 1 (same as swilrl design).

This is same design as my S35023 tramlined Gladys Knight - Just Walk In My Shoes / Stepping Closer to Your Heart. Monarch Press, Delta 62036, stamped number TK4M - 0402 - 1. I'm at wrong computer at the moment to upload a pic of that one, see if I can later. Coincidence T4KM and TK4M?

Now . . . . .where did I put my life??

Thanks Dean

Monarch Press & According to the Incredible amount of Information at >>> ANORAKS CORNER <<<

Can be accurate with press Date to within a couple of Months,

That Monarch Delta # 61060 March/April 1966

The RCA Mastering Including 4K = JANUARY-JUNE 1966

The RCA Mastering Including K4 = JULY-DECEMBER 1966

Which should put the Gladys Knight & the Pips to the second half of 1966 for the Monarch Press

However the Monarch Chart states Pressed June 1966

As you know, these particular Monarch Press Soul Releases with the Older Style Labels are Incredbly difficult to find.

Social source share

just for comparison, the tramlined Monarch S35023.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I had a note from Motown with a lable list stating that S35020 - 23 inclusive were only on concentric circles. I've seen, but don't have a tramlined S35020 Francis Nero (Have the concentric circle, also have a white demo but can't recall design on that and it's in a box not with me at the moment). I've got tramlined S35022 and 23 (envious of |Rogers much cleaner 22). Don't recall seeing a tramlined S35021 Shorty Long - Function at the Junction / Call on me?

post-5677-034536800 1283690448_thumb.jpg

Social source share

just for comparison, the tramlined Monarch S35023.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I had a note from Motown with a lable list stating that S35020 - 23 inclusive were only on concentric circles. I've seen, but don't have a tramlined S35020 Francis Nero (Have the concentric circle, also have a white demo but can't recall design on that and it's in a box not with me at the moment). I've got tramlined S35022 and 23 (envious of |Rogers much cleaner 22). Don't recall seeing a tramlined S35021 Shorty Long - Function at the Junction / Call on me?

post-5677-034536800 1283690448_thumb.jpg

The Frances Nero went for Auction a few years ago. >>> <<<

Here's the latest number that I have ever seen a scan of, very kindly posted by Carl Pellegrino.

7364.jpg7365.jpg

Social source share

Thanks for posts and scans Roger. The label listing I received had:

S35001 - S35016 - as white/purple tramlined

S35017 - both designs

S35018 & S35019 - white/ purple (This list accuracy is thrown into doubt by Frank Wilson S35019 and S35009 Earl Van Dyke All For You not being marked as Not Released, where S35086/89/101/121 are all marked as Not Released. S35007 and S35114 are not allocated titles on this list, when these should be Merced Blue Notes and Jr Walker - You Are The Sunshine of MY lIfe respectively. The list also doesn't mention the earlier allocation of S 35112 to Edwin Star Ain't It Hell Up In Harlem that was re-allocated to Originals Supernatural Voodoo Woman).

S35020 - S35023 - Circle design

S35024 - both designs

S35025 onwards marked as Circle design only. That makes the S35030 you picture above very interesting.

After posting yesterday I did look and see a very battered Shorty Long Function at the Junction (S35021) on white / purple tramlined design, but it was too battered to be worth buying.

Hadn't seen one before, I hope it doesn't prove to be so elusive I regret that.

Edited by Dean
Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

S35017 - both designs

S35018 & S35019 - white/ purple (This list accuracy is thrown into doubt by Frank Wilson S35019 and S35009 Earl Van Dyke All For You not being marked as Not Released, where S35086/89/101/121 are all marked as Not Released. S35007 and S35114 are not allocated titles on this list, when these should be Merced Blue Notes and Jr Walker - You Are The Sunshine of MY lIfe respectively. The list also doesn't mention the earlier allocation of S 35112 to Edwin Star Ain't It Hell Up In Harlem that was re-allocated to Originals Supernatural Voodoo Woman).

S35024 - both designs

S35025 onwards marked as Circle design only. That makes the S35030 you picture above very interesting.

After posting yesterday I did look and see a very battered Shorty Long Function at the Junction (S35021) on white / purple tramlined design, but it was too battered to be worth buying.

SOUL_S-35024-A-1.gifSOUL_S-35024-A_PIC-1.gif

SOUL_S-35024-B-1.gifSOUL_S-35024-B_PIC-1.gif

Here's S-35024 Not that easy though.

Must admit, I find that BOTH Designs are so appealing.

The Swirl Design most probably had to win out, However there's just something about that First Design too (Simple, Clean Cut, but so nice).

Social source share

• 1 month later...

S35017 - both designs

S35024 - both designs

They are out there, as you have already mentioned.

Not Easy Though, most of them you see are the Swirl Design,

SOUL_S-35021-A-1.gifSOUL_S-35021-B-1.gif

This one is a Styrene Monarch Delta # 61327.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert