Two Island-Related Wants

Guest Athy

I am seeking the following:

Rosco Gordon 'Goin' Home' (Island WI-272)

Millie 'My Street' (Brit WI-1002)

....in VG or better. Can anyone help?

Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 7
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I am seeking the following:

Rosco Gordon 'Goin' Home' (Island WI-272)

Millie 'My Street' (Brit WI-1002)

....in VG or better. Can anyone help?

To the best of my knowledge (i.e I've never seen a Jamaican or European issue, either) Millie was issued on US Brit only. It was allocated a WI catalogue number, but it never came out. As far as I can tell, it may not have even made it to the TP stage.

Great record, though, recorded in New York with top local session guys!

Rosco? Ooh, that's a hard one too. I think I saw one c. 1971 in my pal Mike Booth's collection, but I was taking a lot of amphetamines then and I may actually have imagined the whole thing.....

BTW is this you, Michael?

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

It sure is, Antonio.

'My Street' was on Trojan's recent Millie anthology compiled by Laurence Cane-Honeysett; amongst all the squeaky ska this big New York soul sound really stood out (as, judging by one of her later LP sleeves, did Millie). I must ask Loz if he has seen a UK copy. It would be strange if it had not come out on UK Brit, as I've seen all the other 45s listed as being on the label (including the one intended for Brit release which came out on Aladdin). Was there a US Brit label, Tony? I have Bob McGrath's R&B Indies books and he does not list it.

Social source share

It sure is, Antonio.

'My Street' was on Trojan's recent Millie anthology compiled by Laurence Cane-Honeysett; amongst all the squeaky ska this big New York soul sound really stood out (as, judging by one of her later LP sleeves, did Millie). I must ask Loz if he has seen a UK copy. It would be strange if it had not come out on UK Brit, as I've seen all the other 45s listed as being on the label (including the one intended for Brit release which came out on Aladdin). Was there a US Brit label, Tony? I have Bob McGrath's R&B Indies books and he does not list it.

I have been playing it for a few years now,millie that is..............both sides are pretty good.And with label scans

post-1986-016523000 1286553952_thumb.jpg

millie small - my street -

millie small - Mixed up -

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

It sure is, Antonio.

Lol borrowed my US Brit 45 for scanning for that project, mon ami.

I think 'My Street' may have eventually up on a Fontana B side, possibly in Europe only. The other side has never been issued in the UK. The local Brit release may have been planned and scrapped because of the pre-existing Fontana arrangement.

The US 45's quite hard to find but not half as hard to find as her Nigeria-only pic sleeve 45 'I Love Bournvita' (not making this up....)

I've never seen any other US Brit 45s or. indeed, any stock copies of this one - perhaps it, too, was cancelled because

of her being on Smash at the time.

Social source share

I've heard about the Bournvita radio advert, or rather read about it on some internet site thread about Millie which is constantly punctuated by her self-styled producer A Cha (bless you) promising us her brand new CD in 2006....2007....2008...! 'My Street' apparently came out on UK Fontana (as an A side according to a discography I've seen). I'd settle for a Fontana copy. I see that the US issue was Brit 7002 and wonder what 7001 was.

Social source share

Source Advert