News: Esther Phillips - Cd release - You've Come A Long Way Baby / All About Esther Phillips

Mike

• Replies 1
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

News of an upcoming 'two lps on one cd' release from soul music dot com featuring two great late 70s lps from Esther Phillips on cd for the first time

Info below...

esther phillips - promo video for 2011 cd release - video promo

First time ever on CD for these two great Mercury albums from 1977 and 1978

ESTHER PHILLIPS: YOU'VE COME A LONG WAY, BABY/ALL ABOUT ESTHER (SMCR2-5006)

• The late, great ESTHER PHILLIPS was one of the most distinctive vocalists in contemporary music, so accomplished in R&B, soul, blues and jazz that she defied easy categorization

• After her global success in the mid-'70s with a remake of "What A Diff'rence A Day Makes," Esther signed a four-album deal with Mercury Records, recording home to her primary musical influences, Dinah Washington

• Her Mercury debut ("You've Come A Long Way Baby") was produced by her then-musical director, Pee Wee Ellis (the famed former James Brown sideman) and featured a dazzling diversity of material, from the blues tune, "You've Been A Good Ole Wagon" to Van Morrison's "Into The Mystic"and a disco remake of The Platters' "My Prayer," a previously unreleased 9:07 mix of which is being made available for the first time on the CD!

• Esther's second Mercury LP ("All About Esther") was produced by Wayne Henderson (of The Jazz Crusaders), featured a number of star players and includes a great cover of Odyssey's "Native New Yorker."

* The albums contain two of Esther's brilliant trademark monologues/raps on "I've Never Been A Woman Before" and "There You Go Again" which give a real insight into a woman who was witty, sharp and earthy

• Notes by Soul Music.com founder David Nathan, who knew Esther well and interviewed her many times, include quotes from producers Ellis and Henderson.

YOU'VE COME A LONG WAY BABY

1. LOVE ADDICT

2. YOU'VE BEEN A GOOD OLE WAGON

3. IF I LOVED YOU

4. SOMEWHERE ALONG THE LINE

5. IN A SOFT AND SUBTLE WAY

6. UNSELFISH LOVE

7. I'VE NEVER BEEN A WOMAN BEFORE

8. INTO THE MYSTIC

9. MY PRAYER (Previously Unreleased Extended Mix)

ALL ABOUT ESTHER

10. THE MAN AIN'T READY

11. NATIVE NEW YORKER

12. YOU THINK OF HIM (YOU THINK OF HER)

13. PIE IN THE SKY

14. S.O.S.

15. THERE YOU GO AGAIN (THERE SHE GOES AGAIN)/STORMY WEATHER

16. MS.

order via https://www.soulmusic.com/somure.html

amazon uk shows a 17th jan release date

Click here to view the article

I have both the albums , and can only recommend the purchase of this CD if you are an EP fan , and do not have them .

Malc

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert