Syreeta - Love Fire

I saw this in John Manship's auction and was shocked.....didn't know it was that rare!

I saw on another site that only 25 copies escaped.....probably hyperbole :thumbsup: but is there an idea of the number of copies out there?

Why do I ask.....because I picked up a copy at the time.....along with many other new releases that radio DJ's were selling to a dealer I knew.

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I saw this in John Manship's auction and was shocked.....didn't know it was that rare!

I saw on another site that only 25 copies escaped.....probably hyperbole :lol: but is there an idea of the number of copies out there?

Why do I ask.....because I picked up a copy at the time.....along with many other new releases that radio DJ's were selling to a dealer I knew.

Think I'll dig mine out and ask for "Offers":thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BH

Social source share

I've got one of the other copies to escape, so I wonder how many more copies there really is? I didn't think it was rare or worth auction prices.

Social source share

• 1 month later...

i'll tell you what I know .. which is not much..

Many many years ago I visited Gordon Frewin, then Head of UK Motown, at his London office. I was taken there by a London-based fellow Motown collector who has been a friend of mine since the 80's

Gordon had not long returned from LA where he'd been cataloguing and doing archive research on the Motown masters that had been relocated to the West Coast. during my visit Gordon gave me 2 records.

The first was the Marvin Gaye 45 of 'This Love starved Heart Of Mine' in the picture sleeve. Obviously I knew the track but, up to that point, was totally unaware of its existence on a 45. Gordon explained the circumstances around its existence, which is now common knowledge. As far as I'm aware this was the first copy that landed on to a 'Northern Soul' DJ turntable when I played it a few weeks later at a local gig. I recall showing it to Roger Banks, John Philips and an Elephant who were bemused to say the least. Soon after further copies surfaced from a LA Motown Source

The other 45 was Syreeta. Gordon was very clear that the track was halted at promo stage and very few had been distributed to the usual suspects. I don't recall if he specified the number but he did infer it was the standard promo mail out. So if that was 25 or 50 I can't say but he did say it was very unlikely I'd get the chance to get another ... so a statement not supported given John has auctioned 2, and a few others have it, but enough of a steer to indicate it would be a tough 45

That's it

Andy

Edited by AndyRix
Social source share

i'll tell you what I know .. which is not much..

Many many years ago I visited Gordon Frewin, then Head of UK Motown, at his London office. I was taken there by a London-based fellow Motown collector who has been a friend of mine since the 80's

Gordon had not long returned from LA where he'd been cataloguing and doing archive research on the Motown masters that had been relocated to the West Coast. during my visit Gordon gave me 2 records.

The first was the Marvin Gaye 45 of 'This Love starved Heart Of Mine' in the picture sleeve. Obviously I knew the track but, up to that point, was totally unaware of its existence on a 45. Gordon explained the circumstances around its existence, which is now common knowledge. As far as I'm aware this was the first copy that landed on to a 'Northern Soul' DJ turntable when I played it a few weeks later at a local gig. I recall showing it to Roger Banks, John Philips and an Elephant who were bemused to say the least. Soon after further copies surfaced from a LA Motown Source

The other 45 was Syreeta. Gordon was very clear that the track was halted at promo stage and very few had been distributed to the usual suspects. I don't recall if he specified the number but he did infer it was the standard promo mail out. So if that was 25 or 50 I can't say but he did say it was very unlikely I'd get the chance to get another ... so a statement not supported given John has auctioned 2, and a few others have it, but enough of a steer to indicate it would be a tough 45

That's it

Andy

A standard U.S. promo mail-out by a major in the 70's would have to be at least a minimum of 1000 but more likely 5,000 or 10,000 if they were servicing the whole country. America is a big place. It wouldn't have made any sense for Motown to press and service any less than 1000 copies 'cos that amount would only just service the prime-time R&B station jocks.

Bear in mind that a standard UK promo mail-out at the same time would be 500 minimum.............

Ian D :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert