Fairview Lodge

What a joy this was last night . a venue at the end of my street ! what a luxury , on a nice warm spring /summer evening being a short walk :hatsoff2:

You would think you were sitting out in the country , not in North Manchester . This is a lovely small hotel on the edge of a golf course in leafy Sedgley .

A good attendance and a very chilled out feel to the night , billed as a modern crossover type night , not a stonkin northern night. Lets face it in this heat you have to keep an nice easy pace that most can keep up with , it attracted a fair few and everyone was up to have some fun , we were even dancing on the carpet area at one point.

Really enjoyable night and nice to see a few familier faces along with many I have never seen before .

Roman , can only build on this venue . I think the July one will attract even more , especially if they turn it into a weekend break seeing Manchester at its best in the summer ! You can get a bus on bury new road and be in town in 15 minutes for a bit of shopping or maybe just soak up the citys culture, or maybe play a game of golf !

post-9590-0-51135700-1303658963_thumb.jp

post-9590-0-87448100-1303659106_thumb.jp

post-9590-0-80932800-1303659119_thumb.jp

post-9590-0-43855800-1303659140_thumb.jp

post-9590-0-38883400-1303659207_thumb.jp

post-9590-0-46991600-1303659233_thumb.jp

post-9590-0-76424800-1303659300_thumb.jp

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest chrislokeh

Both Ann and myself had a good night,nice to be back in Prestwich the music was spot on a nice mixture.Thanks for the good company

Guest closed

Sorry not for me it looked, felt and sounded like a wedding reception after the buffet had finished, far too much Motown and overplayed stuff so a first and last visit. Nice venue though however I was hoping for something more off the beaten track music wise. I left before Nige Brown went on so maybe it perked up after that I don't know but I got the feeling that would've been a small oasis in the desert somehow....... :thumbsup:

Sorry about that Mr C , its not going to be everyones cup of tea ,

I liked what I heard on the night , it wasn't rare stuff but it was chilled , and yes I do take your point it did feel a bit weddingish becuase the tables were round and around the dancefloor , it probibly would have felt very different if the tables were square , I know that sounds funny but it would. It wasn't your usual social club type of thing.

I am sure over its time it will grow , sometimes things take time , and a good thing is always worth the wait,

I worried about the large carpet area at first , but what was great to see was that people did spread onto the carpet , and it didn't pose a problem, It isn't a longfield suite by any stretch of the imagination , but it is a nice chilled out evening where you can catch up with friends , have a conversation in the bar area without coming out side having lost the ability to croak lol

I loved the varanda area for the smokers.

There are 100's of do's to pick from, I agree maybe this one isn't for you. But for those thathave cut a rug in their time that don't want it banging in a nice environment , this would really suit.

What I will mention is that I would guess 80 % of who were there arn't internet soul activisits. I only knew maybe 6 people there .

Wish you would have said Hi , we could have had an anorak and kept you there a little longer , Nige's set was very much in a modern groove on the night , he enjoyed the change of pace and fact he could have a beer or two.

I laughed when a couple that we generally know who are on the nighter scene Chris and Ann walked in they looked a bit startled at first when they came in , but settled I think they settled into enjoyable night for them , danced quite a bit , and Ann is not a fan of modern lol

Me ... i heard an oldie that I didn't know? .... Peachies & Herb track ? We're in this thing together , sounded great to my ears .

Carms

Guest closed

Hi Carms, I know who you are now (somebody pointed you out after the St' T's exchange several months ago, maybe even over a year ago???) so I will say hello when I next see you.

Anyhoo I shouldn't be overly critical as I know people are just trying to put on events, and those who attend either like it or not and will vote with their feet eventually I guess, it just wasn't for me. I am not a big user of the soul source site myself I was just having a look for something else from a friend of mine and saw your blog hence why I thought I would make an observation as those who like the 'rarer' stuff might not like this venue, it was advertised as some 'underplayed' on there after all?

I am a lover of all soul music but I'm not your average soulie in that I don't live or die by it, but even for someone like me who is not a regular attender of soul nights I like to hear different things and as stated the Motown stuff for me just doesn't hit the spot and usually sends me running for the door, hence why I was enthusing re. St T's when Paul put them on as that's a bit more like it!

As for Peaches and Herb I am actually familiar with that track, but don't take that as me being some soul officianado because I'm not, I may have even owned that track once upon a time as I used to collect all sorts of soul (not any more and no longer have most of it).

I may give Orrell a couple of hours later as it's usually ok there (last time was a bit naff though) and that's a lot for me, two (almost) soul events in one week!

Catch up with you sometime somewhere as they say....

Just to thank all who attended, talk about voting with your feet, nearly all those at the first event came back plus a few more, all the feedback i got more than positive, Nige Brown held a full dance floor and at the end i was approached to fit another event in before the next scheduled one in October, after a quick canvass about the room we came up with Friday 29th July, of the djs there Nige, expressed a wish to join the roster again ( I immediately agreed), Des Jones there on the night said he would like a crack so those two join us in July. Sorry you left before Niges set Mr C but maybe the night just wasnt for you, Some of the motown was played for a group from Widnes having taken rooms I thought it would be churlish not to oblige, I remember playing Dont stop now, Originals and Aint no mountain high enough, Marvin and Tammi, for me geat summer night soul, other tracks included Kokomo, use my imagination, A tune brought back from Stockholm weekender by Ginger, T S U Tornados "what can i do, I do agree not very rare but refering back to flyer still on soul events it says Motown, northern, x over, modern and classics, all thrown in together in one room to create an atmosphere of good dance music, although it dosnt mention rare on flyer some will be played if it fits, and guest djs are encouraged to express themselves, hope it didnt spoil things for you too much Mr C if you call in again i'le get you a beer and we will have chat, we are still working out this venue and are sure it has great potential, Thanks everyone who came, we are listening, see you at the next village soul night Friday the 29th July, R

Now a few Shots of the Dancers at the Wedding Reception,,,,,,:lol: :lol:

It was a Most Unfair Descripion of last Saturday night at Fairways,,, MOST Hotel Fuction Rooms lend thenselfes to being ideal for wedding receptions becaise thats were most of there trade comes from....

Yes the warm up DJ played a few motown tracks,,,, so what!

The music was all night was great i thought,,,, heard a few things new to me!

It did excactly what the flyer said and steered away from the usual top 500 as it is now so called

I dont do/ DJ,, Wedding Soul Dos and was Very Happy when Ronan asked me for a return visit behind the decks in July :lol:

Note to myself,,, dont forget to take,,, Shotgun Wedding Roy C, Martha Reeves & Vandellas Third Finger Left Hand :yes::thumbup: ,,,,,, NOT!

Vicar of Dibley!!

post-1851-0-00989100-1303939642_thumb.jp

post-1851-0-56580300-1303939776_thumb.jp

I am thinking of renewing my wedding vows Nige, are you free to dj ************* .Great fun and the pictures tell the story, that date July 29 now confirmed, room prices same at £45 per double inc full English and free use of fitness rooms, squash courts etc. got a feeling this one will hit capacity, thanks Carms for your support, see you Roman

Guest Roy Stewart

Here's the 1st 45 mins or so Cams....playlist wise

Willie J & Co _ Boogie With Your Baby

Marbo - What About Love

Chuck Jackson - I Got The Need

Moments - Nine Times

Black Nasty - Cut Your Motor Off

Babe Ruth - - Elusive

Norma Jenkins - - Can You Imagine That

8th Avenue Band - The whole thing

The Rimshots - Do what you feel - 1976

East Coast Connection - Summer In The Park

Nicole Wills & Soul Instigators - If this is Love

Lynn Randell-Stranger in my arms

Bobby Foster - If You Really Need A Friend

gerri_chandler-i_go_to_pieces_(everytime)

Billy-Woods-Let-Me-Make-You-Happy

Anderson Brothers - I Can See Him Loving You

Bobby Hutton - Lend A Hand

Ronnie Dyson - Lady In Red

Barbara Hall - You Brought It On Yourself

Gloria Scott - Too Much Lovemaking

Dee Dee Warwick - Funny How We Change Places

hatsoff2.gif

Coffee-your lovin aint as good as mine, Patti Austin- leave a little love, Invitations- look on the good side, California Raisens- what does it take, John Gary Williams- whole damn worlds goin crazy, Jimmy Ruffin- everybody needslove, Gene Chandler-let me make love to you, Originals- dont stop now, Stemmons Express- woman lover theif, Colleen and Webb-give me a call, Timebox- beggin, Wales Wallace-whatever you want, Kokomo-use your imagination,Tsu Tornadoes- what good am i, Marvin and Tammi- aint no mountain high enough, Junior Walker- shoot your shot, dance time, Roman

Source Advert