• Replies 13
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest joebendover

have u been ripped off m8 or were u just thinking of buying it ,or did some 1 pick it up before u and buy it lol :wicked:

Social source share

have u been ripped off m8 or were u just thinking of buying it ,or did some 1 pick it up before u and buy it lol :wicked:

+--

very funny me ol mucker,

got the pointer sisters send him back the other week tho off a dodgy character in sheffield who said he nicked a load of sounds in a break in about 30 years ago :lol:

Social source share

^

The orange and yellow arrow design above is an original Monarch press. Can't think of terribly many Chess releases pressed there at the time, but there were at least a couple.

The blue and white label copy in the first post dates from the time Sylvia Robinson of All Platinum fame acquired the Chess catalogue in the late 70s to early 80s. Chess was then subsequently sold to MCA. The 'never sounded better' blurb on the sleeves is sort of misleading as I don't think there was any radical remastering done and the releases ended up on really thin styrene.

Social source share

^

The orange and yellow arrow design above is an original Monarch press. Can't think of terribly many Chess releases pressed there at the time, but there were at least a couple.

The blue and white label copy in the first post dates from the time Sylvia Robinson of All Platinum fame acquired the Chess catalogue in the late 70s to early 80s. Chess was then subsequently sold to MCA. The 'never sounded better' blurb on the sleeves is sort of misleading as I don't think there was any radical remastering done and the releases ended up on really thin styrene.

Some of the all platinum presses (I think they actually acquired GRT which had previously acquired chess) are totally different mixes actually, as they released stereo mixes sometimes of stuff that was only mono. I have a billy stewart "I do love you" that is stereo on the later press.

Social source share

^

Point taken Bob, but I Do Love You was available as a true stereo mix from at least the second pressing of the original album (with the photographic cover) and maybe even the first.

Thanks. I guess it was the first stereo version available on the 45 and (as you point out), they probably didn't remix it for the 45. I've definitely seen some other later chess presses that ended up differently mixed than the originals. It probably is just due to sloppiness and choosing a random master rather than an intentional thing.

Social source share

Guest joebendover

+--

very funny me ol mucker,

got the pointer sisters send him back the other week tho off a dodgy character in sheffield who said he nicked a load of sounds in a break in about 30 years ago :lol:

+--

very funny me ol mucker,

Social source share

^

There is a release of JACKIE ROSS 'Selfish one' on the orange and yellow, I have one.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert