Smooth Soul Closes

It is with a heavy heart that I report the close of Smooth Soul; I once said that if any event I promote becomes political I will close it down. Over the past few months there have been more and more political whispers and mumbles over my choice to play only original vinyl after 10pm,so rather then see my hard work and the hard work of the other resident dj's dragged through the dirt I have closed.

I want to thank everyone who has been involved with the club over the past 7 years especially my good friend Gus with out who the club would not have been as much fun as it was, thanks mate.

To all who would have been attending our next night I am sorry.

Social source share

thats sad Pete .. nothing wrong in giving up n' coming dj's .. or just people wanting to have a bit of fun playing their collection as "first spots" ,... Blackhearts too will give this chance to people, and always have done, I and many others needed this chance so what is so wrong with it , why should anyone deny this lovely oppertunity ? ( we feel 9.00pm is late enough though perhaps) .. having said that dj's after the "watershed" need to be bang on the mark for sure !!.

OV is a large finacial investment to make, and is the one pathway I decided to take very soon after such a chance was given to me .. it's the only way!

perhaps you should re consider your venue and keep on, since your policy was not a bad one, perhaps change the time to first spot only ?

pete .

Edited by casper
Social source share

Why would anyone complain about you playing original vinyl?

The other way round yes but this is a new one on me :huh:

People who want it easy? People who want to DJ without putting any commitment into it? People who think they should be on prime time with their pressings / bootlegs?

Why not make the whole night originals only - nothing to moan about then :lol:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Sad to hear Pete, especially as we were trying to sort a date out for a spot for me! (OVO of course!)

It really is a shame when things get all political, and I can understand you not wanting to have to put up with it all.

But as I said, it is a shame, and the people doing the knocking of the event should be ashamed of themselves, it was a charity event, with money going to Help For Heroes, despicable that people should try and turn it into a bloody soapbox.

Paul.

Social source share

As a resident DJ I too have suffered these whispers and inuendo and been made to feel a periah.

I have supported Pete and promoted Smooth Soul with it's philosphy of OVO as I believe this is the only true path.

On saturday night at a local soul night I was welcomed and warmly greeted by the promoter and his DJ's however,

I was made to feel very uncomfortable and unwelcome by another local promoter, I found this very distastefull and totally unwaranted.

Having said that, for all the people who wish me ill, I wish them well and hope that one day they see the light.

S&F

dekka

Social source share

I have to say this is disgusting.....you should name & shame these people, anyone who hassled our DJ's would be poloitely asked to leave & never return. I would ensure all local promoters were aware also.

Hang your colours high for all to see & keep the moral bar high.....you have done no wrong, reconsider & keep out the muck spreaders, they cant be REAL NS fans anyway.

Best Russ

Social source share

I have to say this is disgusting.....you should name & shame these people, anyone who hassled our DJ's would be poloitely asked to leave & never return. I would ensure all local promoters were aware also.

Hang your colours high for all to see & keep the moral bar high.....you have done no wrong, reconsider & keep out the muck spreaders, they cant be REAL NS fans anyway.

Best Russ

Yes.If the promoter who gave Dekka hassle was a payer ,i'm sure his admission money wouldn't be missed.

"The door's thataway!" :lol:

Social source share

It is with a heavy heart that I report the close of Smooth Soul; I once said that if any event I promote becomes political I will close it down. Over the past few months there have been more and more political whispers and mumbles over my choice to play only original vinyl after 10pm,so rather then see my hard work and the hard work of the other resident dj's dragged through the dirt I have closed.

To all who would have been attending our next night I am sorry.

As a resident DJ I too have suffered these whispers and inuendo and been made to feel a periah.

On saturday night at a local soul night I was welcomed and warmly greeted by the promoter and his DJ's however,

I was made to feel very uncomfortable and unwelcome by another local promoter, I found this very distastefull and totally unwaranted.

S&F

dekka

I don't understand all this "sorry folks but..." stuff - why don't you guys just tell the moaners to get stuffed if they don't like your policy? :unsure: Hold yer heads up and stick to your principles etc.?

So glad I am not on the oldies scene, sounds like a right 'bitchfest' in some areas.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Although I'm not a venue-goer these days, it's sad to hear that a local venue in my town is closing - especially due to politics around original vinyl. It would be OVO only in my book.

I agree you should stick to your guns mate and look for support from elsewhere if you need it.

Is this local rivalry between Smooth Soul and Sweet Soul by any chance? If so, what's all that about?

Think you should stick to your principles on this one and don't let the b@st@rds grind you down.

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Sorry to hear this I've never been over to your do's but was [genuinely] trying to get to your next one, for the music and to put flyers out for our bash [ with permission of course].There is enough hassle trying to organise the event without getting more grief from within, good luck for the future. Paddy.

Social source share

Although I'm not a venue-goer these days, it's sad to hear that a local venue in my town is closing - especially due to politics around original vinyl. It would be OVO only in my book.

I agree you should stick to your guns mate and look for support from elsewhere if you need it.

Is this local rivalry between Smooth Soul and Sweet Soul by any chance? If so, what's all that about?

Think you should stick to your principles on this one and don't let the b@st@rds grind you down.

Cheers

Richard

This has definitely nothing to do with Sweet Soul, Dougie is one of the good guys.

just thought I had better clear that one up.

Social source share

Thanks for the support from you all, be assured I am not out, just looking at a venue outside of Newark where quality OV can be played without the political crap.

The new venue will be totally 100% OV with a massive helping of lost and forgotten gems, this is in the planning stage at the moment but I hope to have news soon.

To dj's I have offered a start to I have today had a chat with my good friend Kev Such at the cracker and I have some good news for you, and I will be sending you all a pm soon, and to that end thanks Kev.

The new venue will still offer the same start for new dj's playing OV.

Once again thanks for the kind words and support.

Social source share

Ok no need to name and shame my name is Peter Cook every one in Newark knows me as fret. I run Tardis Soul at Balderton working mens Club as far as I am concerened it is a inclusive club we welcome all people to attend or dj regardless of gender etc ,or ability, knoweldge of soul music. We are a group of people who just love soul music and i dont mind if djs come along and play ov or what they play does not matter just love and enjoy the music. Ian Parker came along and did an amazing spot of ov everyone loved Ian's input so thanks Ian and you are welcome back anytime.

right now lets have some honesty.

To pete you asked me to dj in April I said I would and give my time freely and do a spot for m you then wanted to change my spot to dj earlier because I dont play OV I simply declined from djing because the thing around ov is not my bag and i decided not to dj, but i clearly said to you I repect those djs who play ov or whatever the veunes policy is and wished you luck. In my veiw the low support r for smooth soul got nothing to do with you playing ov but your attitude to other people who love and attend northen soul in Newark. A lot of people have come up to me and said you have said a lot of negative things about me, my soul night and the people who dj. I have seen commetns that you have post on fb that are just insluting. Other people have said you have been calling them or being netative or critical with your know all attitude. So like it or lump it a lot of people are fed up with your attitude. As someone who has loved NS music for the last 36 years I never really enjoyed smooth soul or felt welcome becuase you and some of your friends made me feel like i have to be a expert on the scene and im not, infact altough I have been into the scene for 36 years I know very little about it. At one of your nights I was claping after you played up and over for me becuase you knew it was my fav. One of your friends who was sat on your table said to me " how the f**k can you clap to that when you play the snake at your venue" Just after that I went home so i find it hard to take when your posts on here are talking about making people welcome? I played Al wilson that night because my brother who I had not seen for 8 years came over and he asked me to play it becuase he could remember that track from our youth club days and happier times. But does it really matter what people play as long as people enjoy it? even more so if its requested, I may be wrong cos I dont know much but I think that a good dj would often play to the crowd not to his ego,

So I have no hand in the closure of smooth Soul. To find the answer to why you had to close I think that you need to self reflect and look within, it may hurt but the turth often does.

To decca I wish you no ill and you are welcome to come to Tardis soul anytime. You went to shake my hand on Saturday and I refused because when you attended the Malt Shovel and I was told you made critical comments to my friends that I know F*** all about soulful house whilst I was djing. Four seprate people told me this so I guess there is no smoke without fire. So if you have such contemp for me why would you want to shake my hand.? You did a spot for me and even though to be honest the choice of music you played was not something i would normally listen to or buy I still respected you has a dj and someone who has such love and knowledge for the music. I dont know you decca, dont know who you are or where you come from and you dont know me or anything about me . So you have no right to call me to my friends. You need to understand that a lot of people like and respect me in Newark and Balderton including my x so you need to think before you start calling people and who might be listening. So have some honesty and decency and tell it how it is and stop bending the truth. I had nothing to do with the event on saturday I was there has a member of public and if you disrespect me I will disrepect you. You can both respond to this but I'm not going to write anymore becuase not going to get into endless mail going back and fouth. This is my side and thats where it ends for me.on here. But if you want to talk to me face to face I will be at Tardis Soul at Baldo last friday of each month or i live at 17 wetsyke lane Balderton Newark Notts NG24 3NY come and see me I in most nights. Or I will meet the pair of you anywhere you want.

There is no rivalry bwtween any soul venues in Newark sweet soul and in particular Dougie has been very supportive of our night. Does not matter to me if I run the tardis soul night or not as long as people want it i will run it if they dont I wont. I know very little about soul music, motown or modern soul . All I can say it has played a big part in my life and given me so much joy and happyness. I think we can all get nostalgic and look back at the impact on this wonderfull scene that we all love so much. Hey what is wrong with playing a record for you brother who you love and have not seen for many years. I never claim to know lots about soul music I could not tell the differnce between a boot, re-issue or dont even know what a carver is ????? (oh might have had one for my dinner sunday was only 4.99 with a drink) However I do respect those people who do have that knowledge but I personaly am not that serious about the scene. . What I can tell you is since being a small boy I have listened to soul music and it does something inside that I just cannot explain. Well i guess those feelings are just for me just like your feeling anb memories belong to you.

For those of you who have commented on here and dont know me, please dont judge me until you have met me, please come down to Tardis soul and Judge for yourself dont be swayed by others and their agendas. You will be made most welcome. We recently put on a across the board alldayer in the malt shovel pub in newark we had over 125 people attend. Myself and all the djs gave their time freely and I cannot tell you how much postive feedback and love I got from all those who attend I was so overwelmed by it we are doing another all dayer in june. In fact dont ask me ask the people who went they will tell you!

I have met many nice, wonderful, warm, friendly kind welcoming people through my love for this scene, wish I could include you guys in that but thats not my expereince so re-open your event, have your ov policy but change your attitude then the place will be packed!

Fret xxx

Social source share

Fret thanks for the comments firstly I would love to see any comments on face book because none have ever been posted from me, when the rumours first started I contacted you on the matter as is my way and I put them down to Chinese whispers. Now I seem to have had the same thing said about me as you believe I have said about you, It sticks me as strange that when I ask people about this they have been told by some one else.

I have never wish you any thing but well with your venue and I have even offered to help in any way as you know.

If you look back over any of my posts I have not named any dj's or promoters I just said closed due to people not liking my OV music policy with them believing it to be political, and after receiving post's say my OV policy was putting Newark soul down, I believed this to be the case.

I still wish you well with your ventures and I hope they work out for you I have no animosity toward you.

As for face book I have deleted lots of Newark people from mine due to the amount of crap being posted from people trying to get a rise from me, I don't play politics.

I feel when you have attended any Smooth Soul events you have felt welcomed because you have been and I have always had a chat with you and passed time with you as friends do, and I have always found it nice that you have asked my advice and I have feely given it.

If you had known about problems you could have come to me and it could have been sorted.

As for my attitude to people do I have a bad attitude, or is it what people say I have as they may have the attitude.

I still wish you well in your ventures.

Social source share

Tittle tattle and hearsay

At least now i'm aware of why I was made to feel uncomfortable especially as your Ex Wife and her cronies were there.

Fret, if you reflect back to the malt shovel you will remember I arrived just after 9 and was warmly greeted by you and others. I danced and had a thoroughly enjoyable time at Your event. I even asked for a request which Kid duly obliged. The next day I put a favourable post on lookbacks for Your event.

What i've been accused of just doesn't make sense or add up.

But I leave that down to you to make that judgement.

Who am I to come between a man and his Ex Wife

You are out of order and if I knew then what I know now I would not have offered my hand in friendship.

That is my last word and saturday was my last appearance on the Newark soul scene.

Social source share

Goodness me anyone reading this thread will probably be put off for life attending a soul night in Newark !!

I've lived here 43 years & have been to all 3 events, some more often than others but I thoroughly enjoy all of them...

Each event has a different attraction to me, musically or socially ..

Please please do not stop supporting the Newark Soul scene , we have some great Djs here & friendly welcoming clubs ..

It's Sweet Soul this Friday & I would love to see you all down there ...

Dekka this is to you ,I really do hope that you rethink about not attending soul nights in Newark, you have some true friends here & it would be so sad not to see you & Glenys out & about enjoying yourselves.. Me & Steve would certainly miss you !!!

Claire xxx

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!