Shiptown/how Big Discography

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

An extract from my piece ...............

Shiptown releases are extremely hard to track down because most had very limited pressing runs (sometimes 200 or less) and the majority of copies never made it any further than the shelves of Noah Biggs' Nimrod Record Store. Here, the staff would push each release & with plays on local radio shows, most would be sold to locals or servicemen based in the Norfolk area. Noah really only pressed up enough copies of each 45 to generate interest from a larger label (in either signing his artist or in using the actual song on one of their acts). After Noah found ‘Little” Ida Randall, Norman Johnson took her up to Cameo Parkway’s studio in Philadelphia to cut his song “Lets Get Married” (sometime around late 1964). Noah decided to release the song on his own record label, under the name of Ida Sands. With Norfolk’s strong maritime connections, he named his new label Shiptown Records. In summer 1965, Little Ida (Ida Sands) & Little Daddy (Joe Webster of the Anglos) were teamed up in Virtue Recording studio (1618 N. Broad Street, Philadelphia) to record under the supervision of Jerry Williams. Shiptown’s connections with Philadelphia were to be continued, the strings on some of their later cuts being handled there by the likes of Leon Huff.

The 1st 45 on Shiptown to make any waves was Ida Sands "Rescue Me"; this being licensed to Chief Records in New York. Other 45's came thick & fast; the Idets "Look My Way / Doggie In The Window" also in 1967, plus the Anglos "Since You've Been Gone / Small Town Boy" (again in 1967) which were picked up by Scepter for national distribution. Flip Flop Stevens "Let's Do That Thing Part 1 / Part 2" followed in 68 with the Soul Duo's (Ida & Joe Webster) "This Is Your Day / Are You Lonely For Me Baby" following in 69 (this was licensed by Jubilee Records & released in mid 69 as Josie #1007). The same pairing's "Can't Nobody Love Me / Just A Sad Xmas" came out a little later. Noah started a second label in 1969, the How Big label being named after his son Howard Biggs. The first 45 release on his new label featured Ida Sands (Noah’s wife and Howard’s mother) on “Start All Over Again”. Another How Big 45 was "Too Many Skeletons in my cupboard" by Nat Fross (How Big 202936). Noah realized that, with Shiptown 45’s limited pressing runs, he had to get some exposure for his releases to stand any chance of them making any impact. So he cultivated radio DJ’s on black stations within easy reach of Norfolk. Thus, not only would he make certain that copies of his label’s 45’s were sent to these guys, but he would ensure his artists dropped in on them to plug their wares.

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert