Sheep

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Martin Coleman

This is not meant to upset anybody, but perhaps most of the rare soul fines over the last 30 years have probably come from norfolk, should we rename it norfolk soul.!

SHEEP

You might be right. I got fined for possession at a soul night in East Anglia once. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Perhaps you could elaborate a bit............

Well simply, what UK county has been the biggest source of rare northern soul over the last 30 years.

It has to be norfolk, can you suggest somewhere that comes close to this.?

SHEEP

Social source share

Sheep,

J Anderson was indeed the source of so many records over the years, I'm sure Richard S , Sam and others would confess to that. But John Manship is probably right up there also. Over the past few years, John has turned up some incredible unknown things for me and has a real passion for unknowns and obscure. He just has a well developed 'ear' for tunes, and can hear potential in records that to many might be overlooked.

Agreed, John Manship has contributed more than his fair share of unknowns to the scene, particularly over recent years, it has to be said our taste in the music has evolved also, allowing a big base range to be included, doo wop, r+b, beat ballads etc, which were probably known but disgarded by others over the earlier decades, so there inclusion now is all to the good.

However, I still feel that norfolk as a county, which includes other well known contributers as well as Mr Anderson, probably out strips other counties?, ok, I know its not a competition, but just a bit of fun, would be interested in a comparison.

I remember getting lists from brian 45 philips in the 70s, full of unknowns, some became classics, I think he was the midlands.?

Certainly, calling it Norfolk soul would help to confuse the americans, but hey, its probably a bit late for that as most of thier rare records are now over here.

SHEEP

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert