Pointer Sisters "send Him Back" Boot?

I've just bought and received a Red and White DEMO of this which was described by the ebay seller as 100% ORIGINAL ! The disc is vinyl - NOT styrene , very new and glossy label , mint condition. Looks too NEW to be true ????

I always thought that the 70's boots were ONLY of the Black & Red stock copies, and they were done in the 70's anyway and look "old".

Also the ORIGINAL Red & White DEMOS that I've seen over the years , I seem to recall were styrene only, not vinyl like the one I just bought.

Mr Manship's bootleg book description of the difference, especially with run out markings, isn't expressed clearly and leaves me in two minds?

Can anyone please help to definitively identify boots vs originals of the Pointer Sisters ?

thanks in advance!

Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I've just bought and received a Red and White DEMO of this which was described by the ebay seller as 100% ORIGINAL ! The disc is vinyl - NOT styrene , very new and glossy label , mint condition. Looks too NEW to be true ????

I always thought that the 70's boots were ONLY of the Black & Red stock copies, and they were done in the 70's anyway and look "old".

Also the ORIGINAL Red & White DEMOS that I've seen over the years , I seem to recall were styrene only, not vinyl like the one I just bought.

Mr Manship's bootleg book description of the difference, especially with run out markings, isn't expressed clearly and leaves me in two minds?

Can anyone please help to definitively identify boots vs originals of the Pointer Sisters ?

thanks in advance!

I remember these boots as being black and red and not demos. The vinyl or styrene thing could just mean a different pressing plant.

Of course they could be later or even new boots, there are plenty of these arising now, especially since Ebay has spread awareness of prices etc.

Anyone else help?

John.

Edited by John Alden
Social source share

thanks in advance!

Hi

My copy was bought from Soul Bowl in the 1970's, i haven't seen another copy to compare either styrene or boot. I hope the following helps you.

Mine is just short of Ex condition, I would imagine that a Mint one would look "too NEW to be true" as mine holds it's age well the white is brilliant

It is on Vinyl and has the Glossy Label - ATLANTIC - Red & White DEMO - 45-2893

(P) 1972 Atlantic - Just above the address at the bottom of the Label

POINTER SISTERS

The A Side

PLUG SIDE

"DESTINATION NO MORE HEARTACHES"

If you hold the record and read the Deadwax - It has (NEATLY SCRATCHED IN) small

"A - 23116 - 2" at 6 O'Clock

A Matrix mark at 5 O'Clock

and "AT" at 3 O'Clock

The B Side

"SEND HIM BACK"

If you hold the record and read the Deadwax - It has (NEATLY SCRATCHED IN) small

"A - 23115 - 2" at 6 O'Clock

A Matrix mark at 12 O'Clock

and "AT" at 2 O'Clock

I hope this helps

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

There is a good counterfiet. The matrix though is scratched in rather than stamped.

I'll give you John Manships explanation.....

Bootleg label, wishy washy in design, think he means the colour isn't has far more depth on the original. On the counterfeit there is no matrix stamp only A-23116 sp very lightly scratched in the dead wax. Original matrix reads a-23115-2 AT matrix stamp which is a C R within the curves of a large S.

Social source share

There is a good counterfiet. The matrix though is scratched in rather than stamped.

I'll give you John Manships explanation.....

Bootleg label, wishy washy in design, think he means the colour isn't has far more depth on the original. On the counterfeit there is no matrix stamp only A-23116 sp very lightly scratched in the dead wax. Original matrix reads a-23115-2 AT matrix stamp which is a C R within the curves of a large S.

Thanks for the explination of the Matrix - Mine has this Matrix although I didn't fully decribe it in my reply. i.e. Large reversed S with C and R

Social source share

Guest martyn

Hi

My copy was bought from Soul Bowl in the 1970's, i haven't seen another copy to compare either styrene or boot. I hope the following helps you.

Mine is just short of Ex condition, I would imagine that a Mint one would look "too NEW to be true" as mine holds it's age well the white is brilliant

It is on Vinyl and has the Glossy Label - ATLANTIC - Red & White DEMO - 45-2893

POINTER SISTERS

The A Side

PLUG SIDE

"A - 23116 - 2" at 6 O'Clock

A Matrix mark at 5 O'Clock

and "AT" at 3 O'Clock

The B Side

"SEND HIM BACK"

"A - 23115 - 2" at 6 O'Clock

A Matrix mark at 12 O'Clock

and "AT" at 2 O'Clock

I hope this helps

Mine has the same markings except the 'o'clocks' are different but spaced the same :yes: ....if you get the drift-definatly an original as was bought long before it was booted,(and was a bloody expensive buy at the time at half a weeks wages!)

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Have this record but does not have a mention of it being demo or anything just simple red and white atlantic serial number 45-2893 with the other side saying vocal a-23115 sp.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

thanks in advance!

....Worth mentioning here, perhaps, that in the 1960s and 1970s, Atlantic pressed on both the east and west coast. All west coast pressings (from the Monarch plant) were styrene (with the matrix number suffixed with "MO" , e.g. A-12345-MO. Just about all the other plants Atlantic did business with offered exclusively vinyl pressings, and the matrices are usually suffixed with "SP" or "PL".

It's quite likely that this single was pressed on both coasts, so - even though I've never personally seen a demo in either form - I'm pretty sure that legit styrene and vinyl demos would exist. This is just my educated guess...

TONY :lol:

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

The Yanks like/collect coloured vinyl so this could well be a limited original press with yellow vinyl. ranting_1.gif

Social source share

I have this in yellow wax but I think it is a boot.

Anybody know anything about these?

That aint no boot,no way :shades: wanna` sell it? whistling.gif

Social source share

• 9 years later...

No, there were red and black Atlantic Boots well before the Wright sounds press

Not as far as I remember, the Atlantic ones came way after the Wright Sounds because the Wright Sounds killed the record as a top spin.

There's also a red and white demo boot but thats easy to spot as it has no black lettering on the label

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

• 3 months later...
Guest OntheScene

Is it true that all black and red Atlantic issues are boots? I bought mine in the mid 70s off Manship

Edited by OntheScene
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Just bought Pointer Sisters promo  It is on Vinyl and has the Glossy Label - ATLANTIC - Red & White DEMO - 45-2893

POINTER SISTERS

The A Side

PLUG SIDE

"A - 23116 - 4" at 6 O'Clock

no Matrix mark at 5 O'Clock

and "AT" at 3 O'Clock

The B Side

"SEND HIM BACK"

"A - 23115 - 3" at 6 O'Clock

no Matrix mark at 12 O'Clock

and "AT" at 2 O'Clock

It's a vinyl pressing edge of the label has a lip down to the deadwax 

Please advise

Regards

Jonathan

Social source share

at 12 o'clock needs a reversed letter S, in horizontal position, with a stamp in each curve, and at 2 o'clock  needs the AT stamp & at 6 o'clock should read A - 23115 - 2

THE TRUE ATLANTIC  RED & WHITE DEMO with BLACK  CREDITS (ORIGINAL)

Edited by nitram
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert