The Twisted Wheel: Brazennose & Whitworth Street. Manchester 1963-1971 New Cd

Guest Pompeylor

Guest Pompeylor

I saw this CD pop up on the modculture.co.uk website the other day and wondered what people thought of it. I have the excellent (especially for the price) Nothern Soul Story: Twisted Wheel compilation already and was thinking whether this new one adds more or is just a cash in? Go to the website for an update on the screening of a northern soul documentary about the club which is being screened in London tomorrow.

https://www.modculture.co.uk/coming-soon-the-scene-club-ham-yard-london-and-the-twisted-wheel-brazennose-whitworth-street-manchester-albums/

Twisted Wheel album tracklisting:

1. Bobby “Blue” Bland — Turn On Your Lovelight — Bobby ‘Blue’ Bland

2. The Sharpees — Do The 45 — The Sharpees

3. Little Richard — Dance What You Wanna — Little Richard

4. Bobby Marchan — Get Down With It — Bobby Marchan

5. Big Sambo and the House Wreckers — At The Party — Big Sambo and The House Wreckers

6. Bo Didley — Road Runner — Bo Diddley

7. Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels — Jenny Take A Ride — Mitch Ryder and The Detroit Wheels

8. James Booker — Smacksie — James Booker

9. Joe Haywood — Talk To Me Baby (Put Some Sugar In My Ear) — Joe Haywood

10. Alvin Cash & The Registers — You Shot Me Through The Greese — Alvin Cash & The Registers

11. Benny Spellman — Fortune Teller — Benny Spellman

12. Ernie K Doe — A Certain Girl — Ernie K Doe

13. Alvin Robinson- Searchin’ — Alvin Robinson

14. Solomon Burke — Cry To Me — Solomon Burke

15. Marv Johnson — I Love The Way You Love — Marv Johnson

16. Ronnie And The Manhattans — Long Time No See — Ronnie and The Manhattans

17. Gene Chandler — (Gonna Be) Good Times — Gene Chandler

18. Betty Everett — Getting Mighty Crowded — Betty Everett

19. The Ballads — I Can’t See Your Love (For The Tears In My Eyes) — The Ballads

20. Ad Libs — Boy For New York City — The Ad Libs

21. The Esquires — And Get Away — The Esquires

22. The Dells — It’s Not Unusual — The Dells

23. Sir Lattimore Brown- Shake And Vibrate — Sir Lattimore Brown

24. Jackie Lee — Bring It Home — Jackie Lee

25. Jamo Thomas & His Party Soul Brothers — I Spy For The FBI — Jamo Thomas & His Party Soul Brothers

26. The Salem Travelers — Wade In The Water — The Salem Travelers

27. Rubaiyats — Omar Khayyam — Rubaiyats

28. Fats Domino — It Keeps Rainin’ — Fats Domino

Edited by Pompeylor
Social source share

• Replies 3
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Well I was a regular at the Wheel from 67 to 70 ............ and less than half those on the Wheel CD meant anything to me back then.

Before the Wheel I was doing Yorks soul clubs / nights from 65 (where very similar stuff to the common wheel sounds were played) & I'm including that period in my assessment of the tracks as well.

I guess its all subjective though, but if I (& most other regulars in 67) had to choose the big Bobby Bland Wheel track I'm sure we'd go for "Call On Me".

Loads of Dells cuts played back there, but "Its Not Unusual" isn't one I ever remember hearing and my Esquires cut would be "Get On Up" rather than the copycat "And Get Away".

The guy who selected the tracks must have visited the club on different nights to me.

Social source share

Guest Pompeylor

Cheers for that reply. I'm not one of those that are intentionally trying to follow all things exactly like they were, but it's still interesting to read your perspective on the collection. It would be interesting to see what the sleeve notes on the CD say. Thanks again.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert