Al Kent Song - Am I The Man

Roburt

Anyone know the history behind the much recorded song "Am I The Man" that was written by Al Kent.

It first appeared on record (a 78) back in 1957 when Al's first version of the song escaped on Checker (B/W "Dat's Why (I Love You So)" as Checker 881.

Al cut at least one further version of the song (maybe two) over the following few years. A version escaped on a a Wizard Record's 45 out on New York ............

.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqiXFWSrylQ

and also on the Baritone label (I believe this later version got some NS spins) .....

..  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIL7VMZCHFc

But back in the 50's, a 2nd version of the song had been cut for Chess Records, this being Bobby Lester's take that escaped as Checker #921 ...

.. .  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZkK20UHdEs

Then Jackie Wilson cut the song and his take came out on a Brunswick 45 in the US & Canada (it escaped on Coral in the UK).

It seemed to be a popular number back in the late 50's / early 60's BUT only Jackie's version achieved hit status as far as I now (his take making the US R&B Top 10 and Pop Top 40 charts towards the end of 1960).

Did anyone ever chat to Al (Hamilton) about this song and find out more details on it ?? 

post-22122-0-42505200-1380623010_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

By the time the song had been cut by Jackie Wilson, it had acquired an extra writer; oh the pleasures of the record industry back in those times!?!? 

On my original Brunwick Jackie Wilson, only the name Hamilton appears as writer.  The addition of King may just have been a mistake on the Coral pressing.  I've never seen the name King added on any other release.

Social source share

Probably New York.  Weren't The Hamilton Brothers working in New York at that time?  They seem to all have been there early in their careers.  Although they were born and raised in Detroit, it seems that they had moved to New York to work as songwriters.  I would guess that Al (Kent) seems to have had his first re-connection with Detroit (and Berry Gordy) in singing one of Gordy's songs ("That's Why I Love You so") while recording for Chess records, while Gordy's writing partners (sisters Gwen's and Anna's and partner Roquel "Billy" Davis' record label, Anna Records, was distributed by Chess, and Berry's group, The Miracles, were Chess artists.  Berry Gordy was writing songs for several other Chess artists at the time (Harvey Fuqua, Etta James, Penny & Ekkos).  Ronnie Savoy (Eugene (Ronnie) Hamilton, was working out of New York then.  Bob Hamilton(AKA Rob Reeco), who worked as a songwriter for Motown in the early '60s, may have been in Detroit or New York at that time.  I don't remember seeing his name on record credits in the late '50s.  They seem to have returned to Detroit in the mid '60s.  I've never seen an Al Kent credit on a Motown record (unlike Bob Hamilton).  Clearly, Al Kent started working for Ed Wingate in 1964 or 1965.  Wingate's early Golden World and Ric Tic productions (1962-to early 1964 ) were produced in New York.  That may be where he met Al Kent and Ronnie Savoy.  Bob may have joined them at Wingates' labels in 1964, moving over from Motown, seeing more opportunity for himself there.

Edited by RobbK
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I find it interesting that Jackie Wilson's "Am I The Man" sounds the most like Detroit and Wilson's Berry Gordy songs, than any other song he sang after Gordy broke off working with Nat Tarnopol, up until Tarnopol connected with Carl Davis to produce him.

Social source share

• 9 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert