Bunkys Pick-A Question

Garswood

Hi all, just got record through the post, Star-tels, what more can I ask for / exterminator man,  on lamarr

on the "what more..." Side, it says, bunky's pick, printed in the same font as on the label, just wandering who was / is Bunky and do any other records have this on the label, Cheers phil

Social source share

His son was in the Impalas and later Livin' Proof / Triple S Connection.

Bob,  did Bunky Shepherd actually have musical ability and contribute to the creative process of records where he was credited as composer ?

Or was it a Don Robey / "Deadric Malone" situation where you either gave him songwriting credit or you had no deal ?

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

Bob,  did Bunky Shepherd actually have musical ability and contribute to the creative process of records where he was credited as composer ?

Or was it a Don Robey / "Deadric Malone" situation where you either gave him songwriting credit or you had no deal ?

I think he rarely had writing credits, he was more of a hardcore promoter and producer. That said, I know very little about him.

Social source share

B

I think he rarely had writing credits, he was more of a hardcore promoter and producer. That said, I know very little about him.

I've got plenty of records with songs where he got writing credit.  I'd be shocked to find out he didn't have an actual part in writing those songs (a la Don Robey and The Bihari Brothers and Morris Levy and George Goldner.  Just like Robert West, he was a businessman AND had had an ear for music, and knew what he wanted,  He was one of our neighbours when our Airwave Records was located in The Hollywood and Vine Building for 6 years.  He had the suite on our right, and Mickey Stevenson was on our left.  Bunky came from mixed African-American and Caucasian background, but he was classified as "Black", and always thought of himself as a "Black man".  His wife was "coal black", as I remember.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

There's Billy and Stan and without looking I'm not sure who was in what group. I know in the past on here there was some disputing whether or not Bunky and his boys were black or white.

Stan is definitely on the pale side  :yes:

https://www.eurweb.com/2011/03/stan-sheppard-the-power-of-ownership/

Stan has Black features and he says "we" when talking about Black business ownership

Social source share

He wrote or co-wrote quite a lot of songs although he was better known as a promoter.

I came across him by chance in the late 1980s when I imported some David Sea records from John Ray's Magic City Records in Birmingham and was surprised to find 'Bunky' was handling sales and promotion for them.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Stan has Black features and he says "we" when talking about Black business ownership

Ok Bob, so he was a white black man   :lol:

Understand what you're saying though .. I think

According to this there may be a docu made, or in the making ..

https://www.eurweb.com/2013/05/stan-sheppard-on-a-chicago-mission/

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Thanks for the replies, just had a look at some of my records and indeed "bunky's pick" is on a lot of them, never noticed before,

slightly off topic, but I can,t find a discography for Lamarr, I,ve got a few records on down to earth , which I know is linked to them , a few by general crook and the chymes (star-tels), so if anybody has one or can post a link that would be much appreciated..atb phil

Social source share

the star-tells are actually a different group than the chymes, despite saying so in chicago soul. both records had david martin on lead. only the chymes was him and his brothers. david martin also sings lead on rare essence on jay pee / rekord.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!