S.m.a.r.t Club - Madrid

S.M.A.R.T. Club – 22 July 2006 - Costello’s, Madrid

I had spent a couple of days with Sergio, Begona and David, the resident DJs, prior to the event and so was really looking forward to the party, as it was a pleasure to spend time with such welcoming people (The Pigs Ears at the ‘Golden Ear’ will remain a fond memory of Madrid).

The club itself was in a cellar bar with plenty of dance floor and a small area for chatting and chilling out and I can honestly say I have never seen a club so full in my life! Sergio mentioned an a couple of occasions that the club attendance was down due to the date falling over one of the most popular holiday periods of the year, but to be honest I have no idea where he could have fitted any extra people without the use of a shoe horn!

Musically the club played tracks across the spectrum of 60’s black music but concentrated mainly on the more hard-edged R&B and some popcorn. Alvaro de Diego, the other featured guest DJ, played some midtempo R&B, which had the dance floor moving, and was reminiscent of some of The Hideaway’s best nights.

My playlist for my first spot was as follows:

Billy Clark – Soul Party Pt1 – Columbia

Levon And The Hawks – He Don’t Love You – Atlantic

Marie Adams – That’s The Way To Get Along – Encore Artists

Otis Rush – Homework – Duke

Big Daddy Rogers – I’m A Big Man – Alt. Version

Larry Davis – I’ve Been Hurt So Many Times – Kent

Mighty Joe Young – Ladies Man – Celtex

Sammi Lee – Let’s Talk It Over – Watts Way

Percy Milem – Call On Me – Goldwax

Billy ‘The Kid’ Emerson – Dancin’ Whippersnapper - Rooster

Jimmy Moore – Church Street Sally – S.P.Q.R

Merle Spears – I Want To Know – Whit

The Admirations – Hey Mamma – Brunswick

Bobby Bland – 36~22~36 – Duke

Maggie Thrett – Soupy – Barry

The Chosen Few – Birth Of A Playboy – Maple

Tony Middleton – To The Ends Of The Earth – M.G.M

Roy Roberts – Got To Have All Your Love – BoRo

Henry Strogin – Misery – Hank

Jackie Shane – Comin’ Down – Sue

Freddie North – The Hurt – RIK

Begona only played a half hour spot, which was a great shame, as I certainly would have liked to hear more of her selection as she ventured into the realms of darkness with a number of tracks that are currently popular on the popcorn scene in the UK. As Begona DJ’d I couldn’t help but think of our own Nashee who would have loved her spot.

My second playlist:

Darrow Fletcher – The Pain Gets A Little Deeper – Groovy

The Marvellows – Your Little Sister – ABC Paramount

Tony Middleton – Spanish Maiden – Storm

Teddy Mack – Hey Hey Gypsy Woman – Monroe

Tommy Navarro – I Cried My Life Away – De Jac

The Enchantments – I’m In Love With Your Daughter – Faro

Tony Middleton – Return To Spanish Harlem – Speed

David Coleman – Drown My Heart – Barry

Troy Dodds – Try My Love – El Camino

Chuck Wright – The Palm Of Your Hand – Ember

Ivorys – Please Stay – Despenza

Harold Burrage – Fifty/Fifty – M~Pac

The “5” Royales – Catch That Teardrop – Home of The Blues

Big Ella – The Queen – Rush

Grover Washington – That’s A Good Idea – Vee Jay

Big Martha – You Don’t Love Me Like You Used To Do – Esprit

Johnnie Jackson and The Blazers – What You Gonna Do – J~Mer

Betti Lou & Bobby Adams – Dr Truelove – Tra~X

Gladys Tyler – A Little Bitty Girl – Decca

Ella Washington – Bye, Bye, Baby – Octavia

After my final stint behind the decks Sergio and David took over and played a set of massive Northern tunes. I must admit I was very surprised that the Northern goes down so well in Spain with the tastes being pretty similar to those in the UK.

The club remained rammed until the very end when we had to spill onto the street to continue our conversations. Much easier than in the UK as it was still 20 degrees in the early morning.

All in all a fabulous weekend. Thanks to Sergio and Begona for inviting me, thanks to a constantly smiling David and a constantly talking Alvaro for the entertainment, to Alberto for allowing us into his home and to Monica for the fantastic omelette! I will definitely be making another visit to the S.M.A.R.T. club next year and a few more Brits have agreed to come along as well!

Edited by pikeys dog
  • Replies 3
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

S.M.A.R.T. Club - 22 July 2006 - Costello's, Madrid

I had spent a couple of days with Sergio, Begona and David, the resident DJs, prior to the event and so was really looking forward to the party, as it was a pleasure to spend time with such welcoming people (The Pigs Ears at the 'Golden Ear' will remain a fond memory of Madrid).

The club itself was in a cellar bar with plenty of dance floor and a small area for chatting and chilling out and I can honestly say I have never seen a club so full in my life! Sergio mentioned an a couple of occasions that the club attendance was down due to the date falling over one of the most popular holiday periods of the year, but to be honest I have no idea where he could have fitted any extra people without the use of a shoe horn!

Musically the club played tracks across the spectrum of 60's black music but concentrated mainly on the more hard-edged R&B and some popcorn. Alvaro de Diego, the other featured guest DJ, played some midtempo R&B, which had the dance floor moving, and was reminiscent of some of The Hideaway's best nights.

My playlist for my first spot was as follows:

Billy Clark - Soul Party Pt1 - Columbia

Levon And The Hawks - He Don't Love You - Atlantic

Marie Adams - That's The Way To Get Along - Encore Artists

Otis Rush - Homework - Duke

Big Daddy Rogers - I'm A Big Man - Alt. Version

Larry Davis - I've Been Hurt So Many Times - Kent

Mighty Joe Young - Ladies Man - Celtex

Sammi Lee - Let's Talk It Over - Watts Way

Percy Milem - Call On Me - Goldwax

Billy 'The Kid' Emerson - Dancin' Whippersnapper - Rooster

Jimmy Moore - Church Street Sally - S.P.Q.R

Merle Spears - I Want To Know - Whit

The Admirations - Hey Mamma - Brunswick

Bobby Bland - 36~22~36 - Duke

Maggie Thrett - Soupy - Barry

The Chosen Few - Birth Of A Playboy - Maple

Tony Middleton - To The Ends Of The Earth - M.G.M

Roy Roberts - Got To Have All Your Love - BoRo

Henry Strogin - Misery - Hank

Jackie Shane - Comin' Down - Sue

Freddie North - The Hurt - RIK

Begona only played a half hour spot, which was a great shame, as I certainly would have liked to hear more of her selection as she ventured into the realms of darkness with a number of tracks that are currently popular on the popcorn scene in the UK. As Begona DJ'd I couldn't help but think of our own Nashee who would have loved her spot.

My second playlist:

Darrow Fletcher - The Pain Gets A Little Deeper - Groovy

The Marvellows - Your Little Sister - ABC Paramount

Tony Middleton - Spanish Maiden - Storm

Teddy Mack - Hey Hey Gypsy Woman - Monroe

Tommy Navarro - I Cried My Life Away - De Jac

The Enchantments - I'm In Love With Your Daughter - Faro

Tony Middleton - Return To Spanish Harlem - Speed

David Coleman - Drown My Heart - Barry

Troy Dodds - Try My Love - El Camino

Chuck Wright - The Palm Of Your Hand - Ember

Ivorys - Please Stay - Despenza

Harold Burrage - Fifty/Fifty - M~Pac

The "5" Royales - Catch That Teardrop - Home of The Blues

Big Ella - The Queen - Rush

Grover Washington - That's A Good Idea - Vee Jay

Big Martha - You Don't Love Me Like You Used To Do - Esprit

Johnnie Jackson and The Blazers - What You Gonna Do - J~Mer

Betti Lou & Bobby Adams - Dr Truelove - Tra~X

Gladys Tyler - A Little Bitty Girl - Decca

Ella Washington - Bye, Bye, Baby - Octavia

After my final stint behind the decks Sergio and David took over and played a set of massive Northern tunes. I must admit I was very surprised that the Northern goes down so well in Spain with the tastes being pretty similar to those in the UK.

The club remained rammed until the very end when we had to spill onto the street to continue our conversations. Much easier than in the UK as it was still 20 degrees in the early morning.

All in all a fabulous weekend. Thanks to Sergio and Begona for inviting me, thanks to a constantly smiling David and a constantly talking Alvaro for the entertainment, to Alberto for allowing us into his home and to Monica for the fantastic omelette! I will definitely be making another visit to the S.M.A.R.T. club next year and a few more Brits have agreed to come along as well!

You can count me in on going over with you joe,had a fantastic time,although

Monika never cooked me any bloody omelette,s. ....it smacks of Favourtism to me :yes:

Source Advert