New Album Alert - The Very Best of Bettye Swann

Sean Hampsey

• 2 months later...

A quick review of this release I did.....

For one with such a fabulous voice and given the quality of her output, Bettye Swann criminally failed to get the recognition she deserved. At least by the masses that is. For collectors of 60’s and 70’s Soul music she is highly revered and popular artist.

In a recording career lasting around fourteen years or so from 1964 to 1978 she recorded some 20 singles and three LP’s for Money, Capitol, Fame and Atlantic with very little recognition commercially.

Her music however lived on and not only are her 45’s highly collectable with some commanding a three figure sum her work has been reissued by a handful of companies due to Bettye’s popularity and the demand for Bettye’s music.

Kent give us the first compilation overseeing her career with all the four labels mentioned previously. Her most popular sides on the now worldwide Northern Soul dance scene are featured, “Make Me Yours” which was Bettye’s biggest seller, “Don’t Take My Love” & “I Think I’m Falling In Love” just three of her 60’s output that have found a home on the Northern Soul Scene. “Kiss My Love Goodbye” has been absolutely massive for the last ten years or so with dancers and in more recent times “When The Game Is Played On You” has found huge favour after receiving the attention from one of the world’s best DJ’s Mark Dobson.

Bettye is also hugely popular with Southern Soul fans who favour her Capitol and Atlantic output. Angel Of The Morning’ and her own “(My Heart Is) Closed For The Season”, “Today i Started Loving You” and “I Want Sunday Back Again” just some of the great soul music Bettye has to offer. As Ady says though Atlantic left the best number in the can but thankfully it has since been rescued and “Either You Love Me Or You Leave Me” is Soul Music at its finest.

Bettye all but disappeared after 1980 but thankfully Ady Croasdell came up trumps once again and managed to persuade Bettye to appear at Cleethorpes and I have to say it was a privilege to be there.

Again Ace/Kent do the business and give us a great compilation and as you would expect some excellent reading and this his one release that if it isn’t on your shelf now ought to be in your stocking come Christmas Morning.

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!