• Replies 16
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Yep - they're both 78s!

Seriously Mel, I would date the Bob Crewe to around 1956 (but know nothing else about it), and the Bobby Relf to around 1955 - 1956. The Flair label was part of the Modern family of labels. Interesting pieces - and from reading up, it appears that Bobby Relf is Bob Relf (ie, Bobby Garrett etc) who went on to join the Hollywood Flames after leaving The Laurels. Take a look at this:

https://www.answers.com/topic/jackie-lee

Gene

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Guest melandthensome

Cheers Gene

I have the discography that my good sadly deceased buddy pete lawson did on Bob and Earl and will have to dig it out and meticouisly go through it again as it is quite an in-depth piece of research.

Cant recall if the Laurels are mentioned in it or not but I most certainly would be interested in finding a lot more out about them.

Would you say these 78's have a fair price on them then or not.

cheers Gene

much appreciated

ps

I have a bob crewe album somewhere as well.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Mel - not sure about the Bob Crewe 78 (though I guess it is quite rare), but Mint copies of the Laurels 78 that you have, "Yours Alone/Farewell", sell for around the $400 mark in the USA.

Actually, that''s not right, Gene - nowhere near right, in fact. Jeff Kreiter, who is to vocal groups what John M. is to UK rare soul price guides,quite rightly rates the 45 of "Yours Alone" at around $1500.00, and you'd be lucky to find a mint 78 for even half of that. This was actually repro'ed on a fFlair 45 during the 1970s, BTW. I think that even one of those would set you back upwards of $25.00, depending on your source...

TONE :lol:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Heres another for you Gene if you have the time.....

...I paid thirty quid for one about 15 years ago - you won't find a mint one on sale for much under £75.00 and probably considerably more than that, unless you're very lucky.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

on the topic of LA 50ts R+B Vocal Groups.....does anyone know if this1987 Ace compilation has been issued on CD .?....its one of my favs.. :lol:

Yes, I do. No, it hasn't and it is is unlikely ever to be put out on CD in this format, although all the tracks are indeed available on either our Modern Vocal Groups or Combo Vocal Groups compilation CDs, of which there are around eight in total!

Social source share

Actually, that''s not right, Gene - nowhere near right, in fact. Jeff Kreiter, who is to vocal groups what John M. is to UK rare soul price guides,quite rightly rates the 45 of "Yours Alone" at around $1500.00, and you'd be lucky to find a mint 78 for even half of that. This was actually repro'ed on a fFlair 45 during the 1970s, BTW. I think that even one of those would set you back upwards of $25.00, depending on your source...

Times Square Records, New York, currently have a VG+ (US grading) copy of this for $200. Bargain hunters - bag it now! :thumbsup:

Interestingly enough, I have seen 78s on the Chance label going for no higher than around $300 - compared to their 45 counterparts, some of which sell for over the $1,000 mark. As an example, an antipodean friend of mine bought a Near Mint copy of "Cross Over The Bridge" by the Flamingos on a Chance 78 four years ago for $250. I do believe the 45 of this goes for around $1,200.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert