Monumental Soul 28th October - London

Dearest groovy MENTAL Soul people,

This Saturday 28th October sees another edition of MonuMENTAL SOUL - London's premier Modern Soul & Crossover night.

We welcome along our MENTAL friend, Chichester's finest Modern Soul jock, Mr. Paul Thrower (Chi Soul) making his MonuMENTAL debut. Those of you from Dorset and the South Coast are no doubt already familiar with Paul's formidable talents. It is way overdue that the London scene gets a taster. Paul will be lining up alongside your resident usual MENTAL DJs Gareth "Girth Devon" Donovan, Mole and Niki Golding. You know the rest... we'll be spinning a selection of lesser known 60s & 70s, funky floor-fillers, modern soul anthems, ultra rare crossover and a mattering of new SOUL releases.... the very best in QUALITY SOUL old and new. A night of great soul music and bloody brilliant company at a great venue, with a wooden floor made for dancing, decent priced beer and draught bitter (I'm told that last bit is very, very important)!

That's about it for now except to say that tickets are now on sale for the MonuMENTAL New Year's Eve Extravaganza with a host of guest DJs including Gary Dennis, Andy Mann, Mark Houghton & John Pearson. See any of us at the venue this Saturday or contact Niki on 07960 953008, Gareth on 01708 724349 or Mole on 07792 400032.

Cheques can made payable to N. Golding and posted to 8 Agnes Street, London E14 7DG. Sorry, but due to the high demand anticipated we won't be able to reserve tickets without payment. It will be first come first served for this one.

See you on Saturday!

Monumental Soul

@ The Britannia

20 Monument Street

London EC3R 8AJ

Doors: 8.30pm to 2am

Tax: seven quid

The Britannia is by The Monument - just a 30 second stroll down the hill from Monument Tube station (District & Circle Lines, and foot tunnel to Northern & Central Lines), walking distance to Fenchurch Street, Cannon Street, London Bridge (just over the river) and Liverpool Street Rail stations. If you're coming by car, Monument Street is just off King William St/London Bridge and Lower Thames Street. There is plenty of free street parking close to the venue.

**PARKING UPDATE - the road immediately outside the Britannia, around the base of The Monument, has now been made into a pedestrian zone. Access into Monument Street via Lower Thames Street has also been blocked. To access parking in Monument Street you must now enter via Eastcheap then down Pudding Lane or Botolph Lane. See https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=EC3R+8AJ&ie=UTF8&z=17& amp;ll=51.510285,-0.086432&spn=0.002798,0.010729&om=1://https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&a...010729&om=1://https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&a...010729&om=1://https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&a...010729&om=1://https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&a...010729&om=1://https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&a...010729&om=1. Parking in the area is free on Saturday nights on single yellow lines or in meter bays. Don't park on double yellow lines or red lines or your car might not be there when you go back!**

MonuMENTAL Dates for 2006:

November 25th - with guest Arthur Fenn

December 31st - Niki's birthday party - the MonuMENTAL New Year's Eve do. Ticket £15 in advance only.

Monumental28thOct.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Missed the last one due to a sudden attack of cantbebothereditis - only joking, I was actually DJ'ing elsewhere - but I'm really looking forward to a 'Mental Saturday night...

...see you there if you're going!

TONE yes.gif

Guest Bernadette

He's quite good at catching it too...........

Looking forward to it.....

Girrrrrrf

well he's had plenty of pactice :wicked: seriously though it will be a top set - see ya tomorrow for another night of choons & drunkeness :thumbsup:

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...Just one last bump for inarguably the best night out in London tonight. Just waiting for my chauffeur, Mr. Ellis, to turn up then I'm on my way!

See you there I hope...

TONE :yes:

Hi All,

First time @ monumental, great venue just right size.

Played some great music very freindly crowd great company

didnt stay till the end sorry to say, next time though,

Tsu nice to meet you i was with soulsmith,

cau you help

dont know who the dj was but he played a track that sounded like BW,

when i asked who it was he showed me the disc (blue and white label) and it came out in 76 any tell me what and who it was please,

Col, liked the cd's great thanks .

Terry

Hello Terry & Col. Good to meet you both as well. That extra hours drinking has left me feeling a bit jaded today though.I'm glad you liked the CD, despite my cock up with track 10: Lee Charles duplicated instead of Lee Bates. Stiil, I can always add that onto next months disc.

Who was the DJ and what was the BW track? Bobby Womack, Betty Wright? Let me know and I'll ask Mole, Paul or Gareth if they can remember. Hopefully we'll see you both next month with Artur Fenn guesting.

I'll tell you what Dolly, you'll be waiting a long time for that PM re: selling Bobby Wilburn. You just keep right on whistling :( . (Anyhow Niki would hang me up by my gonads if I did :thumbsup:

Well done to Niki, Mole, Girf and Paul Thrower for hosting another top night. :)

Guest ChiSoul

sounded like a Barry White track, the dj was the tall one

sorry dont know his name

Hi Mr Tea,

The only thing I can think I played on anything like a bklue & white label was G C Cameron - You're what's missing in my life, altho' not really BW like I would suggest ?

Sorry can't think what else it could have been.

PaulT

"dont know who the dj was but he played a track that sounded like BW,"

I think the track you are enquiring about is Kellee Patterson's Can't Get Enough Of Your Love. I asked about it last month, great track.

Great evening last night at MonuMental.

Took me longer than usual to get up there last night, mainly due to traffic at my end, St Anne's Road was a bit of a nightmare, worst I've ever seen it when I've been going up to town in the evening. However managed to park in my usual place, just a short walk away from the Britannia.

Gareth was on the decks when I walked in just about 9.15. Then Niki took over, thanks for the CD Niki, been sending me into ecstacies in my front room listening to it. Then it was Mole, then guest DJ Paul Thrower was on.

I've met Paul a couple of times, but this was my first time seeing him DJ. He played a good set, varied, mix of mainly Modern but slipped in some Northern as well. Loved to dance to Speed Up, just the right tempo for me.

The manageress of the Britannia had suggested to the organisers that instead of closing at 2am, because of the clocks going back, how about going on till 3? Great idea, but I bet there's a few like me feeling slightly under the weather, or just plain tired.

So when Paul finished Gareth took over, then Niki and finally Mole.

Not much I can say about the music, just great soul music. Gareth played Do I Love You, still a great dance track, despite what some say. Then Niki played the Epitome Of Sound's wonderful You Don't Love Me. They hardly come better than this in the Northern side of things. It just got right inside me, even had a go at the handclaps, didn't mess them up too much, lol.

It gradually cleared out after 2, but there was quite a lot who stayed till the end.

Normally I meet Dave Swift there, but he's on holiday I think, but I was joined by Paul and Helen McKay, nice to have a good chat with them. Met Colin "Soulsmith" for the first time, Dave, Johnny T, Annie, Bernadette, and a very nice lady who commented favourably on my dancing. If I've missed anyone, apologies.

I got home at about 2.50, took my dog out for a walk, and then to bed. Hoping for a lie in.

He woke me at 7.50, so I am a bit tired as I write this. But it is worth it, thoroughly good night.

Guest ChiSoul

Paul,

What was the name of that record that you played & I enquired about?

Thanks

PS Have a word with Annie and tell her to get a grip. Loved up or what? yes.gif

Hi Colin,

As always mate, good to see you.

Pretty sure the track was Kim Weston's - A thrill a moment on Gordy. But as always, could be wrong !

Speak soon & see you at Bisley.

PaulT.

Hi Colin,

As always mate, good to see you.

Pretty sure the track was Kim Weston's - A thrill a moment on Gordy. But as always, could be wrong !

Speak soon & see you at Bisley.

PaulT.

Def not Kim Weston. If it helps you mentioned the price (around £125)

Looking fwd to Bisley, but will be late as we are popping into Lauras reception first.

sounded like a Barry White track, the dj was the tall one

sorry dont know his name

That would be me.....the tall, handsome one :thumbsup: ......you should have said 'the fat bastard' and they would have known who you were talking about :yes:

Was indeed a Barry White track - Kellee Paterson's version of I'm Gonna Love You Just A Little Bit More....

Cheers Girth

"dont know who the dj was but he played a track that sounded like BW,"

I think the track you are enquiring about is Kellee Patterson's Can't Get Enough Of Your Love. I asked about it last month, great track.

Great evening last night at MonuMental.

Took me longer than usual to get up there last night, mainly due to traffic at my end, St Anne's Road was a bit of a nightmare, worst I've ever seen it when I've been going up to town in the evening. However managed to park in my usual place, just a short walk away from the Britannia.

Gareth was on the decks when I walked in just about 9.15. Then Niki took over, thanks for the CD Niki, been sending me into ecstacies in my front room listening to it. Then it was Mole, then guest DJ Paul Thrower was on.

I've met Paul a couple of times, but this was my first time seeing him DJ. He played a good set, varied, mix of mainly Modern but slipped in some Northern as well. Loved to dance to Speed Up, just the right tempo for me.

The manageress of the Britannia had suggested to the organisers that instead of closing at 2am, because of the clocks going back, how about going on till 3? Great idea, but I bet there's a few like me feeling slightly under the weather, or just plain tired.

So when Paul finished Gareth took over, then Niki and finally Mole.

Not much I can say about the music, just great soul music. Gareth played Do I Love You, still a great dance track, despite what some say. Then Niki played the Epitome Of Sound's wonderful You Don't Love Me. They hardly come better than this in the Northern side of things. It just got right inside me, even had a go at the handclaps, didn't mess them up too much, lol.

It gradually cleared out after 2, but there was quite a lot who stayed till the end.

Normally I meet Dave Swift there, but he's on holiday I think, but I was joined by Paul and Helen McKay, nice to have a good chat with them. Met Colin "Soulsmith" for the first time, Dave, Johnny T, Annie, Bernadette, and a very nice lady who commented favourably on my dancing. If I've missed anyone, apologies.

I got home at about 2.50, took my dog out for a walk, and then to bed. Hoping for a lie in.

He woke me at 7.50, so I am a bit tired as I write this. But it is worth it, thoroughly good night.

You looked like you were having a good time as usual Geoff.....spot on with the BW track but not me who played 'Do I Love You' tho'.....

Cheers Girth

Guest ChiSoul

Def not Kim Weston. If it helps you mentioned the price (around £125)

Looking fwd to Bisley, but will be late as we are popping into Lauras reception first.

In that case Colin, would have to go for Dorothy Morrison - I can't go without you on Brown Door. Never pay much attention to what I've played . . . in fact most people say I don't pay any attention to what I do play . . . !

See you at Bisley & thanks for the kind / sympathetic words !!

PaulT

Playlists from Niki's 2 sets courtesy of www.monumentalsoul.co.uk

The Whispers - Will You Be Mine (Janus LP)

Revelation - We've Gotta Survive (RSO LP)

Nancy Wilson - Come Get To This (Capitol LP)

Reuben Howell - You Can't Stop A Man In Love (Motown LP)

Robert Knight - I Can't Get Over How You Got Over Me (Monument LP)

Ben E. King - I Betcha Didn't Know That (Atlantic LP)

Jay Dee - I Can't Let You Go (Warner Bros LP)

Pointer Sisters - Save This Night For Love (Planet LP)

The Impressions - Wherever He Leadeth Me (Curtom LP)

The Natural Four - I Thought You Were Mine (ABC LP)

Leon Haywood - It's Got To Be Mellow (Decca LP)

Bobby Taylor - Don't Be Afraid (Gordy LP)

Denise La Salle - Here I Am Again (Westbound 7)

Al Wilson - You Did It For Me (Playboy 7)

John Gary Williams - The Whole Damn World Is Going Crazy (Stax 7)

Carl Douglas - I Want To Give You My Everything (20th Century LP)

Bobby Cutchins - Leaving (Soul Junction 7)

------

The Dells - Make Sure (Cadet 7)

The Epitome Of Sound - You Don't Love Me (Sandbag 7)

Ebony Essence - Let Me In (Goodie Train 7)

Midnight - Keep On Walking By (Ariola 7)

Al Hudson - I'm About Lovin' You (Atco 7)

The Intruders - A Nice Girl Like You (TSOP 7)

Gail Eason - Love's Gonna Find You (A&M 7)

Michelle Wiley - Feel Good (20th Century 7)

Bobby Reed - The Time Is Right For Love (Bell 7)

Bessie Banks - Don't You Worry Baby The Best Is Yet TO Come (Quality 7)

The Differences - Five Minutes (Mon'ca 7)

The Modulations - I Can't Fight Your Love (Buddah 7)

David Ruffin - Rode By The Place (Motown 7)

Source Advert