Carl Spencer

Natalie89

10 minutes ago, chalky said:

From what I have read (45cat) it was initially pressed with incorrect producer details (Bob Halley).  This was then corrected to read what it should have read, Carl Spencer.  How true this is not sure.

Thanks mate 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

A nice twist to the tale. Here we see multicoloured promo and issue copies. Until now, it was thought the white label version was a promo, a typical WD without it specifying DJ copy. So, the white label now looks like a regular issue and the multicoloured promo is particularly rare. I have the white label Cover Girl and am waiting for a multicoloured release but now make that two.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

John Manships auction Oct 2011 suggests that the coloured promo is a West Coast press - Whatever copy you have it is still a great record and hasn't suffered death by overplay like many of it's contemporaries.

"Discovered by Daly City Bob, perhaps the very first Yank to get the feel of the “Northern Soul Sound”. On a road-trip as his buddy Henry Mariano played through a pile of 45’s, out of the little portable came Carl’s booming vocal riding Bob Halley’s juggernaut production! Within weeks it was in the UK and on the turntables of the Northern Sea rare-soul-haven that was Cleethorpes! Tells a great story does Bob but his copy he sold me back then, was the rather plain White Label DEMO. Before you today is the glorious multi-coloured vision of the west coast press. Great tune - eye-grabbingly gorgeous, in this format.

Sorry, this item has already been won!

The winning bid was £ 274.00"

• Helpful 1
Social source share

42 minutes ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

A nice twist to the tale. Here we see multicoloured promo and issue copies. Until now, it was thought the white label version was a promo, a typical WD without it specifying DJ copy. So, the white label now looks like a regular issue and the multicoloured promo is particularly rare. I have the white label Cover Girl and am waiting for a multicoloured release but now make that two.

I now have one lol I just had to see what information I could get, but it got sold to me as a demo so I was expecting a white one until this turned up and I got a bit confused 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On 07/01/2017 at 18:49, chalky said:

Going by the auction description Bob Halley West Coast then White demo/coloured issue, Carl Spencer produced East Coast?

What are the run out details of the respective copies?

The stamp I have on mine is 

T 4KM -0867 - - 1B  

then its scratched with 

a triangle 60348-x 

then it's got another stamp in a circle but cant quite work it out lol hope this helps 

Social source share

1 hour ago, natalie89 said:

The stamp I have on mine is 

T 4KM -0867 - - 1B  

then its scratched with 

a triangle 60348-x 

then it's got another stamp in a circle but cant quite work it out lol hope this helps 

That is a West Coast press.  The stamp in a cirlce is probably MR, Monarch press. The x signifies the B side. 

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!