Three Degrees - Lone Lonely Town

Pete S

Have you all heard this version, same as the unissued Motown track by (Tammi Terrell?) anyway I used to have it on an acetate with no artist listed but it's definitely the Three Degrees and it's almost identical to the Motown version. I think it's only on this LP, is it worth anything?

be_1.JPG

Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hi Pete,

Yes, I used to play it often at Bradford Queens Hall, early eighties.

I've put it on almost every 'Northern' Tape & CD I've done in the past 20+years... and have just included it on Chris Andertons LP Track CD swap.

I was surprised at the plaudits that the unreleased Motown versions created a few years ago as I think this version is the Ba**ocks!

It is an LP only track and should only escalate in value - currently around £30 in good nick.

Particularly love the album title track 'Maybe'.

thumbsup.gif

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Hi Pete,

Yes, I used to play it often at Bradford Queens Hall, early eighties.

I've put it on almost every 'Northern' Tape & CD I've done in the past 20+years... and have just included it on Chris Andertons LP Track CD swap.

I was surprised at the plaudits that the unreleased Motown versions created a few years ago as I think this version is the Ba**ocks!

It is an LP only track and should only escalate in value - currently around £30 in good nick.

Particularly love the album title track 'Maybe'.

thumbsup.gif

Sean Hampsey

I have this on a different Three Degrees album, can't remember the title at the moment.

Tis indeed a very good version infact more up than TT's version, bit more of a dancer imo.

Simon

Social source share

I'm sure my albums called 'Maybe' also, maybe it was a different issue of it, can't remember now as i'm not near the record at present but i think the cover may have been blue coloured..

I remember i brought this subject up on KTF a good 5 -10 years ago & even Andy Rix didn't know of this Three Degrees version, must admit i've thought about playing it out before but thought it may have been a bit too Glitzy/Poppy.

Simon

Social source share

I'm sure my albums called 'Maybe' also, maybe it was a different issue of it, can't remember now as i'm not near the record at present but i think the cover may have been blue coloured..

I remember i brought this subject up on KTF a good 5 -10 years ago & even Andy Rix didn't know of this Three Degrees version, must admit i've thought about playing it out before but thought it may have been a bit too Glitzy/Poppy.

Simon

You're right Simon... now you mention the Blue cover (it was dark blue with a picture - a bit like Supremes Greatest Hits Vol1).

The LP did come out twice on PYE (I had them both) under different titles. One certainly didn't have "Lonely Town" on it but t'other obviously did.

I know what you mean by your description but it never stopped me playing it, way back when, because the production is so clear and the thunderous intro is just magnificent!

Give it a whirl. Will certainly raise eyebrows I reckon!

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

Is it seriously worth that much, how much is my copy on Pye worth then, the 'Maybe' LP with the Blue cover?

Simon

The Pye copy was much later than the Roulette issue. It was not originally put out over here, by Pye, at the time of release. More as a 'cash in' on their much later (early / mid 70's) Philly success.

US Roulette 'Original' £25-£30

UK Pye 70's release £8 - £10

Unless, of course, it starts getting talked about on forums such as this... and I eventually get a clip loaded so that people can hear it.... then who knows!

Nice tune whatever the label.

:shhh:

Sean

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert