Jump to content
  • Sign Up
MrF's profile photo

Is this for real?

All About the SOUL MrF

 
Posted

Anyone know anything about this reissue. Given that Charles Johnson's "Never had a love so Good" goes for about £500 these days, it's nice that someone has reissued it, but as is often the case, I can't help but be suspicious - especially since I can't find any info on the label, Burnett's of Detroit, other than it's clearly a UK operation. Please enlighten me if you can!

Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 22.59.25.png

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

Don't know who's behind it, but seems to be perfectly legit and licensed from Henry Stone.

That label has recently reissued Chapter Five as well (with a brand new recording on the flipside by a group featuring members from the original Chapter Five line-up).

https://www.discogs.com/label/1608178-Burnetts-Of-Detroit

Edited by Sebastian

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Burnett a name in the news not so long for the wrong reasons

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Sebastian said:

Don't know who's behind it, but seems to be perfectly legit and licensed from Henry Stone.

That label has recently reissued Chapter Five as well (with a brand new recording on the flipside by a group featuring members from the original Chapter Five line-up).

https://www.discogs.com/label/1608178-Burnetts-Of-Detroit

Does it not seem strange that the B side is a group from Barrow in Furness in the UK ? Like Chalky this has come up before recently and I believe this person will know as he listed it on Discogs (and the others)

http://www.soulfulrecords.co.uk/?fbclid=IwAR3epHazEihyNzHuip9bSBFcW0bfBd5aCdVYM-eqA6FzRkeGMQUCizOc9kk

Edited by Blackpoolsoul

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

The fact it says "licensed from" means bugger all.  And I'm sure one of the dodgy bunch operated out of Suffolk (Ipswich).

How accessible is Henry Stone's music since he passed away?

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
12 minutes ago, Chalky said:

The fact it says "licensed from" means bugger all.  And I'm sure one of the dodgy bunch operated out of Suffolk (Ipswich).

How accessible is Henry Stone's music since he passed away?

Chalky, google the company under companies house soulfulrecordsltd

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Think you're right chalky. And just because their sentenced doesn't me someone else may be running the operation for them.??? As for Burnett well like yourself I know that name well. Maybe a coincidence but instinct tells you otherwise. Time will tell. As you stated they did sell some legit stuff. 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

According to wikipedia Parlaphone have owned the rights to the T.k catalog since 2013, so I assume it would have had to of been licenced from them, prior to that it was Rhino who I think did a few comps.

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
5 minutes ago, Still Diggin said:

According to wikipedia Parlaphone have owned the rights to the T.k catalog since 2013, so I assume it would have had to of been licenced from them, prior to that it was Rhino who I think did a few comps.

And the rights to the other Side ?

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 10/07/2019 at 16:39, Blackpoolsoul said:

Does it not seem strange that the B side is a group from Barrow in Furness in the UK

I don't quite know what you're getting at, but Chapter Five were from Barrow-In-Furness. 

The Charles Johnson 45 has got Lew Kirton on the flipside.

The Burnett's label is obviously from the UK.

If you want to license stuff from Henry Stone, this is where you go:
https://licensing.henrystonemusic.com/

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
2 minutes ago, Sebastian said:

I don't quite know what you're getting at, but Chapter Five were from Barrow-In-Furness. 

The Charles Johnson 45 has got Lew Kirton on the flipside.

The Burnett's label is obviously from the UK.

If you want to license stuff from Henry Stone, this is where you go:
https://licensing.henrystonemusic.com/

What both myself and Chalky are getting at is that there are so many bootlegs around at the moment and we just feel this one is "odd" and are trying to clarify with the knowledge that is on Soul Source if it is a genuine licensed release or NOT :)

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
37 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

What both myself and Chalky are getting at is that there are so many bootlegs around at the moment and we just feel this one is "odd" and are trying to clarify with the knowledge that is on Soul Source if it is a genuine licensed release or NOT :)

Yes, I totally understand that. I just didn't get what Chapter Five being from Barrow-In-Furness had to do with the Charles Johnson/Lew Kirton 45.

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Sebastian said:

Yes, I totally understand that. I just didn't get what Chapter Five being from Barrow-In-Furness had to do with the Charles Johnson/Lew Kirton 45.

Sorry that was the other release, the confusion I think is the name of the label, as "Detroit" has not been moved to Suffolk in England, as far as I aware :)

 

Chapter.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Sebastian said:

I don't quite know what you're getting at, but Chapter Five were from Barrow-In-Furness. 

The Charles Johnson 45 has got Lew Kirton on the flipside.

The Burnett's label is obviously from the UK.

If you want to license stuff from Henry Stone, this is where you go:
https://licensing.henrystonemusic.com/

The label carries the name of a well known bootlegger. The label directors were implicated and sentenced on the recent bootlegging case. Surely that would raise doubts straight away.

Just because the label claims a license was taken is as I said often meaningless. The very presence is meant to give  a/the release some authenticity when in reality they are probably far from it, certainly the US material.  I mean who is going to check up?

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 4

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 13/07/2019 at 07:46, Sebastian said:

The Charles Johnson 45 has got Lew Kirton on the flipside.

 

Huh? I've got a white label (obvious boot) of Charles Johnson somewhere which I am pretty sure has Lew Kirton on the other side. Had it for years though, can't even remember where it came from, charity shop or something..Is this Burnett one new?

Share this source music forum post


soul source url

All About the SOUL - Source Forum

Jump into the northern soul music & beyond talk now!

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!
Log into Soul Source

Get max use of the forums

Log in now!

Source Adverts



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.