• Replies 24
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

any one listen?

any good?

worth a look to see if available on bbc website?

Missed the first hour, listened to the rest in bed.....not a bad mixture for the beeb

Looking forward to May Ady.....

All the interviews sounded like they were over the telephone but I missed the Tesco announcements.....were there any good deals..... :)

Social source share

any one listen?

any good?

it was not too bad go on the beebs web site and listen you can fast forward as well if you dont like the tracks.

whats the full story then ade for the kent 25 years.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

any one listen?

any good?

First track was Ramsey Lewis Wade in the Water. I had some American Football on the TV. Radio 2 on, and the furniture pushed back. I knew it was going to be a good show. Not heard it (Wade in the water) all the way thru in yonks, and loved it. Great way to start the year. Plenty of predictable choices, but just right for a night in on NYE.

Hats off to Stuart.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

I managed to catch the last 90 mins in bed without really meaning to. There was a request played for Colin Roughly and I though to myself this is a familiar name..then I remembered that I have a 45 with a sticker with 'Col Roughly' on it ! I fell asleep and woke up to Millie Jacksons 'Hurt So Good' and thought it was another programme. What was that horrible Calvin Grayson track? What a mess..but then I used to think that about The Isleys 'Tell Me Its Just A Rumour'

Nice that Richard Searling got the new and fantastic 'Right Out Of Time' by Betty Lavette on the show ! It's going to be a monster....

Social source share

Flicked through it seemed more or less the same, enjoyed the interview type things, one or two supprises on there, but mainly the same playlist as always predictable.

Mike link to soul source on radio 2 web site is the old .net one, might be worth contacting them to change it, sure a few will be clicking it now the show is back on.

heres where its at

https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/singingd...rtherinfo.shtml

Social source share

Guest Trevski

apart from Adey's contribution, the excellent "Gigi & the Charmaines" the rest was predictable "Dinosaur Soul" doing nothing to promote the scene in a positive way to the non-soul world! Requests from baggie wearing triceratops for "Ghost in my house" etc Come on!! :)

Social source share

apart from Adey's contribution, the excellent "Gigi & the Charmaines" the rest was predictable "Dinosaur Soul" doing nothing to promote the scene in a positive way to the non-soul world! Requests from baggie wearing triceratops for "Ghost in my house" etc Come on!! :)

Oh dear! Get ready to duck! :shades:

Bit hungover today Trev? :lol:

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Oh dear! Get ready to duck! :)

Bit hungover today Trev? :lol:

No, just a new-years resolution to speak my mind, and f**k the consequences, (same as last year, really) :shades:

Social source share

No, just a new-years resolution to speak my mind, and f**k the consequences, (same as last year, really) :shades:

I'll drink to that :lol:

Found it quite funny when he asked Russ, what new tunes are 'doing it' he hadent a clue, think he mentioned frank pop breakaway..............f**k me that was 3 years ago :)

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

i enjoyed it and i got my mention but instead of Open the door to your heart - Jackie Wilson i got Because of You. still good.

Social source share

Trevski, don't want to cause an argument but this "dinosaur" soul thing. R.Dean Taylor is an oldie but as a collector of USA Motown I have a copy and it doesn't really strike me as any different than my other Motown 45s.

I noticed your wants recently included Ruby and Seashells. Ruby has been known and played since I guess 1981 [at least on Take 6 as I picked up a copy back then after hearing it somewhere] and Seashells has been around years as well. I have both.

So if Stuart had played the three I would have considered all of them to be standard well-known oldies. Im assuming you would have been pleased to hear the two you actually still want.

I think it's just that if you've got them to hear whenever you want, then it's onto the next thing. In fact if I didn't get a 45 quite recently then I tend not to play it much if at all cos I've heard it enough. It's all kinda "dinosaur" soul really.

IMO it's getting worse cos price of 45s means that I can't get enough new [to my collection] 45s to keep it fresh, if you know what I mean.

ROD

Social source share

Just listened to this on Playback and to be honest couldnt find anything to complain about. It did exactly what it said on the packet, lots of classic Nothern/Sixties Soul and to be honest, how cutting edge can we expect Stuart to be? He is on National radio after all.

I could think of a worse way to spend 3 hours at work!!

No disrespect intended to Stuart Maconie.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Trevski, don't want to cause an argument but this "dinosaur" soul thing. R.Dean Taylor is an oldie but as a collector of USA Motown I have a copy and it doesn't really strike me as any different than my other Motown 45s.

I noticed your wants recently included Ruby and Seashells. Ruby has been known and played since I guess 1981 [at least on Take 6 as I picked up a copy back then after hearing it somewhere] and Seashells has been around years as well. I have both.

So if Stuart had played the three I would have considered all of them to be standard well-known oldies. Im assuming you would have been pleased to hear the two you actually still want.

I think it's just that if you've got them to hear whenever you want, then it's onto the next thing. In fact if I didn't get a 45 quite recently then I tend not to play it much if at all cos I've heard it enough. It's all kinda "dinosaur" soul really.

IMO it's getting worse cos price of 45s means that I can't get enough new [to my collection] 45s to keep it fresh, if you know what I mean.

ROD

Difference is QUALITY. Ruby, and the Seashells are top quality mid tempo items,that could, and are still played at venues, and enjoyed. GIMH on the other hand, is an embarrassing reminder of all that was bad about the scene, and should be banned, and any DJ playing it should have his cueing finger amputated in public, IMHO of course. whistling.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert