Classical Music Goes Northern

John Manship`s listing of Ruperts People and mention of Procul Harum`s masterpiece reminded me of how many classical pieces of music that have been ripped off by the popular music business. Both Gary Brooker & Keith Reid with “A Whiter Shade Of Pale” and Rod Lynton with “Reflections Of Charles Brown” used Johan Sebastian Bach`s “Air on a “G” string” for their melody. Whilst on the soul front, Denny Randell and Sandy Linzer took “Minuet in G major” by Christian Petzold (via J.S. Bach) as the basis for the “Toys - A Lovers Concerto”. Similarly, when Nashville legends Billy Sherrill & Larry Butler were given The Poppies to work with they purloined Johannes Brahms “Lullaby” for their debut hit “Lullaby Of Love”. This tune was also used by former Beathovens singer Jimmy Stevens with his killer 1966 Fontana single “I Love You” A fabulous arrangement but a terrible vocal (I actually played it once at Prestatyn and got a few chin scratchers). I am sure that “The Fathers Angels – Bok To Bach must reference one of JS Bach`s tunes but my knowledge of that great man`s work doesn`t stretch that far. Anyone got a clue about that one and are there many others out there?

Social source share

• Replies 4
  • Views 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

The melody of Patti Labelle & The Bluebells 'A Groovy Kind Of Love'(written by Toni Wine & Carole Bayer Sager) is  based on Clementi's Sonatina Opus 36 No.5 (Rondo movement) . The Shangri-La's 'Past,Present & Future' is from Beethovens' Moonlight Sonata. There's more but I can't think of them at the moment.. I don't think 'Bok to Bach' references any Bach melody-not one that I'm aware of anyway;I think it's just a play on words( 'Back to Back') like Mike Sammes 'Oh, My Twisted Bach' (Oriole) or Peter Cook(Peter London)'s RGM 45' There And Bach Again' (Pye)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert