The Torch

Bleep

On 18/09/2021 at 18:13, Bleep said:

just a quick ask could anybody post up a list of records that was first played at the torch or only played their thanks in advance phil

Phil

It's a bit tricky claiming that a record was played first, or only, at The Torch as back then there was only a handful of top DJs and they would travel all over the place. In particular many top sounds were first played at the Catacombs but if you never went there you wouldn't know. Also the records weren't that rare compared to some today. Once a title was known it didn't take long for other copies to turn up. There weren't any unreleased acetates or "only one known copy", like there are today.

Some I remember as first played at The Torch are-

Lenis Guess -Just Ask Me

Chubby Checker -Just Don't Know

Jimmy Thomas- Beautiful Night

Pearlean Gray- I Don't Want To Cry

Earl Wright- Thumb a Ride

However, I'm sure someone will claim to have heard them somewhere else first.

There is a live recording from then, which although the sound is a bit rough it has the atmosphere of the club oozing from it, especially the DJ chat. I can't get the link to copy and paste but if you go on mixcloud ,search The Torch it comes up as the top result.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Went a few times late 72 , well sneaked in to be more precise as I was too young to get in .

As other posters have said many records were played and claimed to be first play`s equally by the Wheel, The Torch and the Cat`s but one I am almost 100% that was first played at the Torch is  " Sliced Tomatoes". Other top plays were.. I still Love you, Exus Trek, 6by6, A little togetherness, These chains of love and You don`t want me no more.

Edited by Petesi
added content
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Never attended but have always tried to collect oldies from the club, it's local and part of my heritage. So here's a list, I've been told were played, and I think most torchites will associate with Hose street in tunstall. 

Fuller brothers- time's a waisting

Patti and the emblems- gonna love you a long long time

James bounty- prove yourself a lady

Patti Austin music to you heart

Jimmy soul Clarke- come on and be my sweet sweet darling

Lee David- temptation- is calling...

Major lance- you don't want me no more

First choice- this is the house

Cooperettes- shingling

Fred Hughes- baby boy

Duke browner- crying over you

Rose Batiste- hit and run

It's by no means exhaustive but it's a start. 

Edited by Geeselad
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Not sure on the days but I think maybe Wed, Friday or Sat nights. Pretty dark with tracks of lights running around the roof and bloody great mirrored pillars dotted around the dance floor. I do remember on one night they played plenty of Motown stuff and one of the DJ`s would throw in numbers like Breaking down the walls of heartache, Tell me its just a rumour, Bok to Bak and Seven days is too long etc so it was a good practice night for Tiffs and Wigan.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!