James Browns Death And Bbc

Well,its about 6 weeks now since the Godfather passed away and still,no television tributes or anything!It really is unreal,that a performer of the calibre of Brown be simply brushed under the carpet by the beeb and other tv companys.The man was a legend!50 years in the buisness and not even a programme about the man on telly.

If it was some crackhead,junkie,arty farty type person who we had never heard off in our lives,I bet they would never be off the box! :angry:

Angers me that BBC just cant be bothered!I remember when Elvis died.FFS,he was on telly every other night!

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Well,its about 6 weeks now since the Godfather passed away and still,no television tributes or anything!It really is unreal,that a performer of the calibre of Brown be simply brushed under the carpet by the beeb and other tv companys.The man was a legend!50 years in the buisness and not even a programme about the man on telly.

If it was some crackhead,junkie,arty farty type person who we had never heard off in our lives,I bet they would never be off the box! :angry:

Angers me that BBC just cant be bothered!I remember when Elvis died.FFS,he was on telly every other night!

I thought I saw one program listed, but might be wrong.

However

I think that generally Soul Music gets a raw deal on the TV.

James Brown was a Giant,

Every performance James Brown gave was perfection, he gave so much and was an Incredible Talent, to be treated in this way is unbelievable.

If he had been on some reallity TV Show I'm A - Brother or whatever they might have filled the Weekends TV Viewing watching him sleep or sitting on a couch.

Another the BBC missed (Brilliant Documentary)

"Standing In The Shadows Of Motown" has been on BBC4 but why not BBC1 or BBC2, especially with the recent Death of Joe Hunter.

The General TV viewer probably doesn't realise the Quality Viewing that's out there regarding Soul Music.

The Temptations DVD 97p at Tesco's, (Another Brilliant Film)

It's been on Hallmark, SKY, but how much would that have cost in Royalties to Broadcast on a Saturday night by one of the Terrestrial TV Companies.

Social source share

Agreed,It gets a very raw deal.Having seen Brown perform live,I for one can vouch for the outstanding showmanship involved in a JB gig.Even though he was 70 when I saw him perform,he was incredible and really played the crowd well.

We shall never see the like again.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Angers me that BBC just cant be bothered! I remember when Elvis died. FFS, he was on telly every other night!

I'm still waiting for a simple and fitting media tribute to the late Edwin Starr, who actually lived in the UK.

Social source share

Media are so good at forgetting the greats!

Eg,no offense to her but what the hell has Anna Nicole Smith ever done!

Shes on telly every time you turn it on at the moment.

I bet there shall be a show about her contreversial life.All she ever did was marry an oil tycoon and had big tits!

Social source share

The BB showed James Brown in Concert on BBC 4 , repeated it several times and then showed it on BBC 2 all within the last six months when he was alive. They also recorded James and his band in 2003 ansd showed that on several occasions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/electricproms/jamesbrown/

BBC radio 2 ran a four part radio series on James Brown last year and Mark Lamarr put together a two hour tribute after his death which also went out on radio 2.

i can't recall a tag at the end that said "except for viewers in Northern Ireland"

• Up vote 1
Social source share

It always seems to be the case with the media - not just the BBC - that when a fitting and required tribute following the death of a musical artist should be shown - i.e. James Brown - one is never shown .

Musical icons are viewed differently in peoples eyes or perception of them ; perhaps the BBC , ITV or whoever , considered that news coverage on his death was enough on JB , and decided not to put out a programme .

I doubt that this will be the case when Robbie Williams shuffles off this mortal coil ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

but who's to say later in the year something won't come on and not only him but i would love a programme to remember the late great Wilson Pickett who died only few years ago. a true legend.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert