Motown On The Mersey - Radio 2 Show - Documentary

Mike

Just seen this went out last night, but as the wonders of technology nowadays means that dont have to worry about such mundane things as remembering show timings can listen to it via the BBC website

MOTOWN ON THE MERSEY

Tuesday 6th March 2033-2230

Craig Charles presents a documentary looking back at Liverpool¢Å¾¢s Mardi Gras Club and the special relationship it had with 1960¢Å¾¢s soul music. In 1957 a club opened in Liverpool that went on to become a heaving, gathering place for a post war generation of young, music fans¦.and no, we¢Å¾¢re not talking about The Cavern, but an establishment that is now regarded as a forgotten mecca of 1960¢Å¾¢s black music, The Mardi Gras.

link

https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/mainframe.s...r2_motownmersey

Social source share

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Don't like Craig Charles, but I enjoyed the programme. Had some interesting contributions from people who were actually there. Although I was surprised Robert Elms wasn't on, as I'm pretty sure he was responsible for the Mersey Soul Scene getting off the ground in the first place. I also believe he was the first man in the world to wear a Beatle jacket.

The programme also raised the question in my mind that, as Liverpool was such a musically advanced city in the early 60s, witness all the obscure R&B Soul records covered by the Mersey groups, how come the Northern scene hasn't made much of an impact in that part of the North West.

Answers on a postcard to......

This one not that one

Edited by tone5446
Social source share

I know a lad called Cally from merseyside....................................now he could play a set of Mersey Soul!

Top man! :thumbsup::D

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Don't like Craig Charles, but I enjoyed the programme. Had some interesting contributions from people who were actually there. Although I was surprised Robert Elms wasn't on, as I'm pretty sure he was responsible for the Mersey Soul Scene getting off the ground in the first place. I also believe he was the first man in the world to wear a Beatle jacket.

The programme also raised the question in my mind that, as Liverpool was such a musically advanced city in the early 60s, witness all the obscure R&B Soul records covered by the Mersey groups, how come the Northern scene hasn't made much of an impact in that part of the North West.

Answers on a postcard to......

This one not that one

Scoucers liked Disco in the 70s and funky house through the 9ts................................If you want 6ts soul...................then you would go to Keel or the Queens hall in Bradford.....................................maybee the 100 club in oxford street..............................................

Liverpool for shagging...................................Stoke on trent for DANCING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert