Led Zeppelins record collection

Geeselad

Ah ha , recently I had this conversation with Chris Anderton , and believe it or not, "Rob the Mod " sat in on Radio 6 music , for a couple of weeks and one of the tunes he played ( from his reputed 1 Million  strong record collection) on UK Stateside of course , was Vernon Garretts, Shine It On , and is still an avid collector of Kent ( ace / Kent etc ) albums , to this day .

Like I've always said the music of your youth is very hard to shake off .

Edited by Happy Feet
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

The late Francis (Terry) Thomas told me that Robert Plant would sometimes call in to his record shop in Kidderminster - Mister Tees. Robert would buy  all sorts but mainly soul and RnB type stuff and had a good knowledge of most US recording artists. He must have an awesome collection by now.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

12 hours ago, Daniel Nooger said:

John Paul Jones recalled in the book Led Zeppelin The Tight But Loose Files that Muddy Waters' Electric Mud album provided inspiration for Zep's "Black Dog"

You can hear that. I think that muddy album got slated by the traditionalist fans at the times, but possibly went on to inspire a genre 

Social source share

8 minutes ago, Rick Cooper said:

The late Francis (Terry) Thomas told me that Robert Plant would sometimes call in to his record shop in Kidderminster - Mister Tees. Robert would buy  all sorts but mainly soul and RnB type stuff and had a good knowledge of most US recording artists. He must have an awesome collection by now.

He still does , Terry now owns the business and Robert as he calls him , not Planty like his mates , still frequent's the shop has a keen ear but always manages to get a bumper discount , no wonder he's got a 1 Million plus record collection lol 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Most British rock bands were influenced by American r n b and blues artists,Jethro Tull 25 th anniversary tour started with a juke box on the stage playing Smokestack lightning ,I’m a man and Hoochie coochie man etc.Alex Harvey recorded 00 soul and others 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Those Muddy albums and the Wolf "dogshit" albums did have their fans back in the day.  Ronnir Wood recalled in an old Nick Kent NME interview that when the revamped Faces were first getting together, the Wolf album was in heavy rotation, especially for Kenney Jones.  Years later they became motherlodes for hip hop producers to stripmine for heavy beat samples.  I recall the late Mark *45 King" James ("900 Number") visiting my apartment once, in the early 90's and offering me $100 on the spot for my copy of Electric Mud.  Recently, rapper Common re-assembled the EM band to cut a new project.  Chuck D is apparently also a fan   

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Smudger said:

Most British rock bands were influenced by American r n b and blues artists,Jethro Tull 25 th anniversary tour started with a juke box on the stage playing Smokestack lightning ,I’m a man and Hoochie coochie man etc.Alex Harvey recorded 00 soul and others 

Alex is my favourite artist, he also covered, good night Irene.

Social source share

8 hours ago, Happy Feet said:

He still does , Terry now owns the business and Robert as he calls him , not Planty like his mates , still frequent's the shop has a keen ear but always manages to get a bumper discount , no wonder he's got a 1 Million plus record collection lol 

Good to hear Terry the second, or Tell as I knew him has kept the shop going, even after lockdown, and is still attracting celebrity rock legends.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Rick Cooper said:

Good to hear Terry the second, or Tell as I knew him has kept the shop going, even after lockdown, and is still attracting celebrity rock legends.

Definitely the one and only Tell , if you haven't visited for a few yrs, it should be on your radar , something for all not just rock legends,,,, 

Social source share

Robert Plant loved his 60's soul .    i remember a radio interview, when he visited Manchester many years later, he referenced the Twisted wheel , asking where it had gone ?  

you'll find lots of the 60's 'rockers/beat boys'  were soul music fans.    good taste  😉

Edited by Ian Parker
typo
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!