Skye - Ain't no need Promo

Louie

Hi everyone, bought this promo 12" of Skye - Ain't no need/ Family tree which I believe is the original as it has a smaller label and a deep groove etching by the edge and has matching matrix numbers. It does look like a "D" is missing after "ADA" so it doesn't match the discogs listing 100% but most copies seem to differ a little bit. Can anyone confirm if this is a original or the later bootleg? If you have an orignal copy feel free to share some pictures!

Thanks in advance and merry christmas!

Family tree.pdf 

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by Louie
Missing description
Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Jnixon said:

They are all bootlegs. No permission was ever given for their release by the band. 

Is there any info to back that up? Was the "original" bootleg made the same year of the release of the 7"s and 12"s. Seems strange to make a bootleg back in the 70s? Many copies I've seen have patina that you only get from 40 + year old records.

Social source share

I seem to remember a significant discussion about this maybe 20 years ago.  I think the whole Anada set up was quite dodgy and I remember comments like the writers were not paid for the use of their songs, the groups who recorded them were not paid and the record company released them without the knowledge of those involved. I think when Sharon Brown was asked about it in an interview, she didn't have any good words to say about the subject.

So in my eyes, if no permission was given by those who had any rights, then any releases are bootlegs.

Social source share

On 26/12/2023 at 13:33, John Reed said:

I seem to remember a significant discussion about this maybe 20 years ago.  I think the whole Anada set up was quite dodgy and I remember comments like the writers were not paid for the use of their songs, the groups who recorded them were not paid and the record company released them without the knowledge of those involved. I think when Sharon Brown was asked about it in an interview, she didn't have any good words to say about the subject.

So in my eyes, if no permission was given by those who had any rights, then any releases are bootlegs.

So are you saying the 7" releases are also bootlegs? image.png.e1f7255827d7f94ec31d7a82d24b1197.png

Social source share

On 24/12/2023 at 17:22, Jnixon said:

They are all bootlegs. No permission was ever given for their release by the band. 

I’m not sure you can categorically call it a bootleg. Many recording contracts in the sixties and seventies did not require an artists permission to issue a track, along with other terms that may raise eyebrows and were not favourable to the artist. It happened on both indie and major labels. 
No skin in the game for me as I don’t own it.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert