Getting Started Djing

Guest cyrus

Guest cyrus

Before i start let me just say - my knowledge of soul is very poor compared to you guys on this forum. I used to think i knew it all - but sadly i realise nowt. Anyway i wanna start Djing but aside from a handle full of Soul Lps all my music is on CD's. I know that is probably a dirty word on this site but the fact is i always bought albums and never singles. Dont get me worng i realise how much i've been missing since joining this forum (bit depressing really) but couldnt really afford to start a vinyl collection right now.

Anyway my question is? What would the possibility of Djing with cd's be or is it frowned upon. And if i was to go down this route what equipment would i be lookin at. My friend who DJ's Hip-Hop swears by the Pioneer CDJ800 and CDJ100.

Hope i havent opened myself up for a blazing!!!

Peace

Social source share

• Replies 65
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest the dukester

Go for it mate dont let nothing put you off.

Essential though is a Big Broad Back...............For all the Knives :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Before i start let me just say - my knowledge of soul is very poor compared to you guys on this forum. I used to think i knew it all - but sadly i realise nowt. Anyway i wanna start Djing but aside from a handle full of Soul Lps all my music is on CD's. I know that is probably a dirty word on this site but the fact is i always bought albums and never singles. Dont get me worng i realise how much i've been missing since joining this forum (bit depressing really) but couldnt really afford to start a vinyl collection right now.

Anyway my question is? What would the possibility of Djing with cd's be or is it frowned upon. And if i was to go down this route what equipment would i be lookin at. My friend who DJ's Hip-Hop swears by the Pioneer CDJ800 and CDJ100.

Peace

NO DJ'ing with CD's as far as serious Northern Soul DJ'ing is concerned, IMHO. Just not the done thing at all. Probably OK for a 'back room at a pub' type thing, but more importantly, why do you want to start DJ'ing in the first place?. Not being funny, but if its an ego thing, forget it, too many of them about! I think a lot of DJ's sorta fall into it, get asked to DJ because people know they have good stuff, rather than set out to be one.

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Guest MARTIN SNOW

but couldnt really afford to start a vinyl collection right now.

YOU TOLD US YOU HAD 20K IN SAVINGS ONLY A FEW DAYS AGO !!!

Social source share

Guest cyrus

Just something to do! Not about the ego's. I understand what your saying about the northern soul scene (which i completely respect) - but it would be more of a broader soul/funk sound, would probably concentrate on playing songs which have been ripped off(sampled) by the new music scene.

I would love to start collect vinyl but looking at some of the prices i couldnt do it. I appreciate the advice though, keep it coming.

Social source share

Guest sigher the gutter snype

opening a shop, also started to dj perhaps

maybe you should consider decorating that flying cloud you are on ?????

DONT BITE JUST A JOKE

Social source share

YOU TOLD US YOU HAD 20K IN SAVINGS ONLY A FEW DAYS AGO !!!

Doesn't mean he wants to spend it buying a vinyl collection for DJing with does it??? I have some savings but at the moment I can't afford to buy anymore records at the moment....because I don't want to spend my savings on records in case I need it for something else.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest cyrus

Not you again martin!!!! Look just please do one...please for just for me!!! Thats exactly what it is SAVINGS mate - i'd love to blow it all on vinyl. Just please dont leave anymore replies - i beg you go away and leave me alone. I'm serious man - you're bugging me!!!

Social source share

Guest cyrus

opening a shop, also started to dj perhaps

maybe you should consider decorating that flying cloud you are on ?????

DONT BITE JUST A JOKE

Fair dos. What can i say i hate my job - clutching at straws!!! Gotta have dream - going to Japan in July, might take up Samurai!!!

Social source share

Guest the dukester

Fair dos. What can i say i hate my job - clutching at straws!!! Gotta have dream - going to Japan in July, might take up Samurai!!!

SAMURAI :thumbsup:

Not to carry out on Martin I hope laugh.gif:lol:

Social source share

hey good luck mate

my mate who is on here greeneggz is in japan at the moment living and he loves it

digging out loads of soul over there as well.

especailly as you and monkey can fly around on clouds together

although you do need a magic stick behind your ears to summon it up :search:

Social source share

Guest MARTIN SNOW

More intriguing with each posting !

The best advice for djing is to speak to those who work at the Bulls Head event that you go to. I've seen their website and it looks like a professional set up there.

To be a successful and respected dj you definately have to be a collector first and foremost.

A dj without a reasonable collection from which to select, would be like a gasman with only half a tool kit.

Now there's nothing you can possibly object to in this posting surely ? It's common sense good solid advice, and after all thats what you've sought on here isn't it ?

Social source share

Guest cyrus

hey good luck mate

my mate who is on here greeneggz is in japan at the moment living and he loves it

A quick diversion :

LOL. Fair do's, i heard the japanese music/club scene caters for all tastes. Has your friend found any decent bars which play soul/funk (will be landing in Osaka then off to tokyo).

Social source share

Guest uroffal

To be a successful and respected dj you definately have to be a collector first and foremost.

A dj without a reasonable collection from which to select, would be like a gasman with only half a tool kit.

Careful the 'Hotbox' Police will be after you for saying stuff like that :)

Social source share

A quick diversion :

LOL. Fair do's, i heard the japanese music/club scene caters for all tastes. Has your friend found any decent bars which play soul/funk (will be landing in Osaka then off to tokyo).

i think he is in osaka

look him up here on soul source

greeneggz give him a pm and maybe you can hook up?

Social source share

May I refer you to the Hotbox thread on this site (and another :) ) where that manifesto seems to have been challenged :)

Social source share

Guest cyrus

More intriguing with each posting !

The best advice for djing is to speak to those who work at the Bulls Head event that you go to. I've seen their website and it looks like a professional set up there.

Now there's nothing you can possibly object to in this posting surely ? It's common sense good solid advice, and after all thats what you've sought on here isn't it ?

GO AWAY - STOP PATRONISING ME!!! YOU'RE SO PARANOID YOU'D ACTUALLY GO AND START CHECKING INFO I'VE GIVEN YOU. TELL YOU WHAT ITS MY MATES BIRTHDAY 2MO I WILL BE IN THERE SO WE CAN HAVE A CHAT, COME DOWN YOU'RE WELCOME!!!

Social source share

Guest MARTIN SNOW

May I refer you to the Hotbox thread on this site (and another :) ) where that manifesto seems to have been challenged :)

Yes that was a rather depressing angle wasn't it.

Edited by MARTIN SNOW
Social source share

Guest uroffal

I feel for you mate, because I've been there - the 'I hate my job - clutching at straws' scenario. But ask anyone on here who tries to make a living from selling records and they'll tell you the same - it's a tough business to be in. I dream of leaving work and selling vinyl for a living, but the figures don't add up. You need a massive network of contacts, an incredible knowledge base, luck, lots of money to start you off and preferably a name that most people recognise on the scene and your finger on the pulse. It's very competitive.

I can't comment on DJing, but doubt there are too many people making a good living out of DJing alone - those that are probably also deal (records before anyone says anything :) ) and are promoters (another very difficult business to be in).

I hope you find an answer to hating your job and wish you the best of luck.

Social source share

hey good luck mate

Ahhhh MONKEY , cool , is that on youtube ? Alas you need more then a monkey to get most NS vinyl tunes now

Social source share

Guest cyrus

i think he is in osaka

look him up here on soul source

greeneggz give him a pm and maybe you can hook up?

Nice one, will do!!! Respect.

Social source share

Ahhhh MONKEY , cool , is that on youtube ? Alas you need more then a monkey to get most NS vinyl tunes now

a couple of monkey and pony's at least.

and you get half a denari as change

no doubt monkey is on youtube

or you can also get nice monkey on some of the more broadminded websites...apparently :)

Social source share

Guest MARTIN SNOW

GO AWAY - STOP PATRONISING ME!!! YOU'RE SO PARANOID YOU'D ACTUALLY GO AND START CHECKING INFO I'VE GIVEN YOU. TELL YOU WHAT ITS MY MATES BIRTHDAY 2MO I WILL BE IN THERE SO WE CAN HAVE A CHAT, COME DOWN YOU'RE WELCOME!!!

Cyrus, what is the point in asking for help and advice, and then when you're given it, post up comments like the above. I've told you the best way to find out what you want to know and still it's not good enough for you. What info had been allegedly checked now ? You listed an event that you go to, so this is where I advised you to do your research.

Moderators, other members, there is nothing in these last few postings of mine that could be deemed remotely antagonistic, is there ?

Social source share

Guest cyrus

I feel for you mate, because I've been there - the 'I hate my job - clutching at straws' scenario. But ask anyone on here who tries to make a living from selling records and they'll tell you the same - it's a tough business to be in. I dream of leaving work and selling vinyl for a living, but the figures don't add up. You need a massive network of contacts, an incredible knowledge base, luck, lots of money to start you off and preferably a name that most people recognise on the scene and your finger on the pulse. It's very competitive.

I can't comment on DJing, but doubt there are too many people making a good living out of DJing alone - those that are probably also deal (records before anyone says anything :) ) and are promoters (another very difficult business to be in).

I hope you find an answer to hating your job and wish you the best of luck.

Respect!!!! Sound advice - think i'm realising that.

MArtin mate listen, i dont think i'll ever take anything you say as serious advice - look how you started your reply on this thread. I think a member advised you to not post on my threads - why cant you just respect that and the fact you do my head in. You're probably a sound guy but just chill and leave me be

Social source share

Guest rachel

Martin and Cyrus, perhaps you two should just agree to avoid each other on the forum? Our guidelines state that we try to keep the site 'worthwhile and enjoyable' for all members, and while some no doubt find your little spats entertaining, it is getting a bit tiresome, I'm sure, for most.

Social source share

coming back to thread, Getting Started dj'ing, do you mean dj'ing Alan Partridge stylee,Terry Wogan stylee, or just a bunch of people spinning soul sounds they love, to each other, whilst trying to make themselves understood on the mike?

Could someone let me have the address of the "DJ school for Northern",cos it seems some of us are'nt qualified to "dj" !!!!! :)

Social source share

Guest cyrus

so lets get this right....he's a gasman, who's going to japan to open a restaurant / record shop / discotheque.......

oh man..not you to!! Cant a guy have dream (or several lol) without peope dumping on him.

Look i give up - i'll just read the posts from now on and maybe play a few tunes. Thanks for the advice any who has helped, peace and jah bless

Social source share

Martin and Cyrus, perhaps you two should just agree to avoid each other on the forum? Our guidelines state that we try to keep the site 'worthwhile and enjoyable' for all members, and while some no doubt find your little spats entertaining, it is getting a bit tiresome, I'm sure, for most.

Im enjoying it.............. :) ..oops

Bazza

Social source share

Guest the dukester

so lets get this right....he's a gasman, who's going to japan to open a restaurant / record shop / discotheque.......

:):) Trev........Dont forget the Samurai training dept!!!! probably in the basement.

Social source share

Guest rachel

We don't want to discourage anyone from posting as long as they keep to the rules - I suggest both of you click on each others' profiles, on the left hand side under options you can select 'ignore user' - this means you won't even be able to see each others' posts.

Social source share

We don't want to discourage anyone from posting as long as they keep to the rules - I suggest both of you click on each others' profiles, on the left hand side under options you can select 'ignore user' - this means you won't even be able to see each others' posts.

Then you can both read and post to your hearts content without getting wound up.... and you never know...you might even start to enjoy coming on here... cos thats what it's all about.. isn't it?

Its all a bit playground imo... especially when there's a simple solution to the obvious problem you have with each other.

Seconds out... :)

Social source share

hey good luck mate

need to watch out for those baths filled with sand :)

Social source share

Guest MARTIN SNOW

oh man..not you to!! Cant a guy have dream (or several lol) without peope dumping on him.

would that be a (gas) pipe dream

DJ'ing's not always what its cracked up to be so think carefully before making any changes, as I think it might bring back bad memories of your current profession Cyrus.

Honestly mate if you'd seen some of the old boilers I've seen in the clubs I've worked in you'd think twice.

Social source share

Guest MARTIN SNOW

need to watch out for those baths filled with sand :)

Now that was distasteful. Think that one could do with editing out asap.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Peace

You don't say if you want to dj on the 'scene' or just play soul music to 'normal' punters....

Check out a few local trendy bars (or go a bit further afield if necessary) and see if they've got CD players/ decks and tell them you'll do a set for them for nothing. Count this as a loss leader - you'll get the practise in and a couple of free beers. It could turn out that someone that turns up for a drink when you're on the decks needs a dj at a party/ function and they've liked your set irrespective of the media that the tunes came off...they only hear what comes out of the speakers. And who knows, the bar might like your set, the night might build up and start paying you...but at the end of the day, it's down to you putting in the leg work. I speak from experience - I did that at 16 - blagged my way around clubs etc - set up my own nights/ clubs and after 31 years, I'm still loving it. I played at the Big Chill last night with Ady Croasdell and the audience didn't give a rat's arse about CD vs vinyl but danced their little socks off.....hope that helps. Jo

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Honestly mate if you'd seen some of the old boilers I've seen in the clubs I've worked in you'd think twice.

Oi Martin, I resemble that remark :thumbsup::(

Cyrus, I never gave up the day job to dj - that was the night job....as a result of playing out, I got on radio and TV - you never know who's lurking in your audience. Japan sounds amazing. If I could travel light, I'd go in a flash but I've got all these bleedin' records to carry :thumbsup: Think of me as you're in a hot tub with gorgeous accolites pouring you another sake.... :lol: Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Yes cheers mate. I think thats the best route - good tunes are good tunes!!! Appreciate the advise. Ta very much

Cyrus, if an old girl like me can do it, anyone can. Never doubt your potential and ALWAYS have an enormous ego...it worked for me :lol::thumbsup: I never gig anywhere without a limo to pick me up, several handsome boys to satisfy my every whim and a fresh fruit salad on ice waiting for me when I come off the decks... :( LOL Jo

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Cyrus, if an old girl like me can do it, anyone can. Never doubt your potential and ALWAYS have an enormous ego...it worked for me :thumbsup::( I never gig anywhere without a limo to pick me up, several handsome boys to satisfy my every whim and a fresh fruit salad on ice waiting for me when I come off the decks... :thumbsup: LOL Jo

She is not joking either Cyrus, But Jo is worth it aint you Jo :thumbsup::wicked:

Cyrus, Just enjoy the music and go with what you feel, good luck :lol:

Bearsy

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert