Grading Records

Guest DonnaD

Guest DonnaD

I have just received a record I have been after for ages in the post. It didn't say much about it on ebay apart from: Couple Very light scuffs , VG+ . A couple of very light scuffs, in my mind, should not equate to a loud audible hiss all the way through the record should it? I know VG+ can be quite risky but the description led me to beleive that it would be OK. I just wanted some opinions before I asked for a refund. It was over $400 so not cheap.

Social source share

• Replies 21
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I have just received a record I have been after for ages in the post. It didn't say much about it on ebay apart from: Couple Very light scuffs , VG+ . A couple of very light scuffs, in my mind, should not equate to a loud audible hiss all the way through the record should it? I know VG+ can be quite risky but the description led me to beleive that it would be OK. I just wanted some opinions before I asked for a refund. It was over $400 so not cheap.

American seller?? Assume so if it was in $$$. Sounds like they only visually graded it, but you are right loud audible hiss all the way through when described by seller as VG+ and I would be sending it back.

Adam.

Social source share

Guest Glawsters Best

I'D EXPLAIN THE HISS TOO THE SELLER AND ASK FOR MY MONEY BACK HE SHOULD HAVE MENTION THE HISS I'VE HAD A FEW RECORDS OFF EBAY IN THIS CONDITION BUT BECAUSE ONLY BEEN A FEW QUID I DID'NT BOTHER BUT $400 IS TOO MUCH FOR A RECORD IN THIS CONDITION HOPE THIS HELPS :thumbsup:

Social source share

Is it Styrene Donna?

If not might just be dirt in the grooves have you tried giving it a good clean, might sort it out........its a long shot.............but if not defo get your money back :thumbsup:

Social source share

It is about time record gradings were honest....why is a worn out lump of vinyl got the word GOOD or G in its description..... F is honest for ........F**KED

I have no problem with M for mint....ie as new but VG-- what a laugh and a con....

Social source share

Havin"a larf at modernsoulsucks and SteveG "s posts .........but seriously Donna ...American gradings go from MINT to VG+ there is no inbetween. no EXC or EX+ nothing like that.

If it plays as you describe it does then in US gradings thats a VG- at best.

I'm with the aformentioned big boys on this ..........MONEY BACK !!!!!

Good luck

Cheers Paul

Edited by soul shrews
Social source share

I've sold loads of LP's on ebay & as long as they look ok don't bother to play them all the way through if I'm not expecting them to make much. If I've been surprised & they've gone for more than I was thinking I play them all the way through before I send it, even though it meant listening to a triple album of shite in one case. With a $400 45 there's no excuse for not playing it first.

Social source share

Post us a sound file,we`ll judge :thumbsup: and if we knew what it was cause it could be a thousand pound record, :ohmy:

Social source share

Havin"a larf at modernsoulsucks and SteveG "s posts .........but seriously Donna ...American gradings go from MINT to VG+ there is no inbetween. no EXC or EX+ nothing like that.

If it plays as you describe it does then in US gradings thats a VG- at best.

I'm with the aformentioned big boys on this ..........MONEY BACK !!!!!

Good luck

Cheers Paul

I use this in-between thing, it's called VG++.

Although some sellers don't use it, it's much more common for US graders to have a VG++ grading than not.

Social source share

Guest DonnaD

Thanks Everyone, I think you are right that I should definately ask for a refund. Ill let you know how it goes. It's Jo Ann Henderson on Phonograph. I tried washing it which did make a very slight improvement but still a very audible hiss all the way through.

Social source share

Is there any chance this is a noisy/hissy record from new? The rarer a record is, sometimes the bigger the problem, unless it's a major label rarity.

Just a thought.

any grading should take that into account. obviously visual grading won't spot it, but honest sellers who only visually grade should then be happy to refund the purchase if the condition is worse than stated since it's them who are taking the risk of not grading properly in order to save time.

Social source share

And you'll never guess what was up with my copy of "Earthquake"...

I've got a copy of "cant loose my head" but I've stopped playing it' cos Ive got Leprosy !!

also stopped playing "Cry your eyes out". I went to a Do on saturday and the DJ played

"I dont need no doctor" for me followed by "hold on help is on the way".

Ritchie :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

I've got a copy of "The snake" with a hiss.

Get your money back,Donna. Shoulda mentioned that in the ad.

ROD

Rod's joke should have been accompanied by a cymbal tap ladies and gentlemen. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Give it a good clean and anyway sellers should use proper price guides and play there records before selling to describe what they are. Most of my records are Very good and few that are excellent not excactly mint as it's not something you can find easy.

If not satisfied sent it back and complain

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert