Dutch Courage?

Guest the dukester

Guest the dukester

I have started to notice at a few soul nights I have attended that there seems to be, for the punter, a need to drink a certain amount of alcohol before venturing on to the dance floor, making the night having the feel of the local nightclub/disco.

What happened to dumping your bag/stuff and getting straight down to the dancing, its now get the beers in for the first hour or so?

The records the dj's play are good enough to get the place jumping but everyone just seems to want to drink and chat before the spirit level is hit and then its off to dance.

Should we return to Coke and Milk :thumbsup: ....... and stale sausage rolls to get the place rocking again

Social source share

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I have started to notice at a few soul nights I have attended that there seems to be, for the punter, a need to drink a certain amount of alcohol before venturing on to the dance floor, making the night having the feel of the local nightclub/disco.

What happened to dumping your bag/stuff and getting straight down to the dancing, its now get the beers in for the first hour or so?

The records the dj's play are good enough to get the place jumping but everyone just seems to want to drink and chat before the spirit level is hit and then its off to dance.

Should we return to Coke and Milk :thumbsup: ....... and stale sausage rolls to get the place rocking again

Did a pole somewhere,apparently we`ve all grown up into our piss head parents and its ok and a alcohol free nighter is not needed,idiots :(

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=38367

Edited by ken
Social source share

Why does people having a beer make it feel like a local nightclub?

I have started to notice at a few soul nights members of temperate societies armed with stopwatch and clipboard, noting arriving peoples drinking & social habits, maybe if these watchers themselves danced/enjoyed the night more they wouldn't care what others did.

Note:

Maybe nights start earlier than in days of old so people now arrive early for a drink/chat at the venue instead of on route.

Maybe the music's not their bag, their new or their a little shy and dancers have to inbibe before venturing to the floor

Maybe less drugs are taken nowadays

(Clubs like your own start at 7 wont let people in after 11, maybe we should encourage afternoon drinking sessions or what about breath and drug testing on entry)

Am sure there is demand for a venue that loads you with stale sausage rolls, coke & milk ( a nearby telephone kiosk perhaps)

Social source share

Guest mel brat

What's wrong with having a drink or two first for God's sake? No smoking, no talc - what next? The Taliban are alive and well and living on the Northern Soul scene, apparently...

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest the dukester

What's wrong with having a drink or two first for God's sake? No smoking, no talc - what next? The Taliban are alive and well and living on the Northern Soul scene, apparently...

Just an observation, dont have a stroke over it.

Would be nice for the warm up/early spot dj to have some dancefloor action.....Taliban permitting :D

Social source share

Guest the dukester

Why does people having a beer make it feel like a local nightclub?

Cos the nightclub culture is av a skinful before daring to cut a rug (albiet a shit one by the way)

Mind the nightclubs in my town you would have to be pi##ed to go in em :D

Social source share

Should we return to Coke and Milk unsure.gif ....... and stale sausage rolls to get the place rocking again

you need a good stiff drink inside ya to dance to your spots :D ................only kidding mate

Social source share

Guest the dukester

you need a good stiff drink inside ya to dance to your spots :D ................only kidding mate

Thanks Trev, I aint buying anymore of your recommendations to play again tongue.gif

Still trying to find out what that Soul Communicators cover up on the cd you did for me a while ago mate.

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

Should we return to Coke and Milk :wicked: ....... and stale sausage rolls to get the place rocking again

A large amount of events i have been to over the last 20+ years have been like this, cant be a new thing! The dance floor at Stoke on trent on the other hand is rammed very early - at least the times i have been - this always suprises me?!

Not everybody has the confidence to venture out without a few drinks and a bit of the old dancing dust - LOL!

Ste. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert