The Manhattans - Picture Became Clear - Video '69

Sunnysoul

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Brilliant and rare promo clip of the Manhattans from 1969 in Central Park, featuring original lead George Smitty Smith who tragically died young and was replaced by Gerald Alston ....

Great tune from their Deluxe label period in the late 6T's thumbsup.gif

I have a longer version of this video on a DVD (this one is missing some seconds of footage in parts) that is also better quality. But I don't know how to rip it and put it up on youtube.

Random trivia about this 45: this is the last deluxe 45 they had and it came out right AFTER they signed to columbia and had released a columbia record.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I have a longer version of this video on a DVD (this one is missing some seconds of footage in parts) that is also better quality. But I don't know how to rip it and put it up on youtube.

Random trivia about this 45: this is the last deluxe 45 they had and it came out right AFTER they signed to columbia and had released a columbia record.

Sorry to have to contradict, but "Picture" was actually their first DeLuxe single (# 109). Their last one on the label was "Back Up" (# 144) and you're right about that coming out after they had released "There's No Me Without You", their first (and best) Columbia single.

Columbia , BTW, bought the group's DeLuxe masters, only they appear to have mislaid their paperwork and so they won't license or put out the material, as they can't prove they own it. At Ace/Kent, we tried unsuccessfully to license it all a couple of years back, to no avail....

You probably know that there are two groups of Manhattans doing the circuit, both with the full approval of each other. Blue Lovett's Manhattans tend to work the west coast, while Sonny Bivins' Manhattans stick to the east. Sonny's group is the more interesting, as it also contains the great Lee Williams of "Lee Williams And The Cymbals" fame...

Social source share

Sorry to have to contradict, but "Picture" was actually their first DeLuxe single (# 109). Their last one on the label was "Back Up" (# 144) and you're right about that coming out after they had released "There's No Me Without You", their first (and best) Columbia single.

Columbia , BTW, bought the group's DeLuxe masters, only they appear to have mislaid their paperwork and so they won't license or put out the material, as they can't prove they own it. At Ace/Kent, we tried unsuccessfully to license it all a couple of years back, to no avail....

You probably know that there are two groups of Manhattans doing the circuit, both with the full approval of each other. Blue Lovett's Manhattans tend to work the west coast, while Sonny Bivins' Manhattans stick to the east. Sonny's group is the more interesting, as it also contains the great Lee Williams of "Lee Williams And The Cymbals" fame...

You're right, I got mixed up about the singles.

I sent a copy of this video on DVD to a woman who posts on one of the other message boards who was dating George Smith at the time. She said that the steps they're sitting on was George's apartment at the time and all the scenes are from right outside their house.

Social source share

Tony, didn't their first Columbia LP contain sides that they recorded for Deluxe ?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Tony, didn't their first Columbia LP contain sides that they recorded for Deluxe ?

Actually it was the second one, rather than the first, that had the 3 or 4 DeLuxe tracks on side two. When we put that album out on Kent (paired with the first Columbia one!) we argued that if Sony BMG owned those DeLuxe tracks, they would own the rest, but they can't substantiate their ownership of anything other than those tracks.

To make matters even more frustrating, I have actually seen and held the paperwork for the contract that proves all of the DeLuxe tracks were sold to Columbia - it's actually written, at the bottom of the contract, "Sold To Columbia on (such and such a date) 1973"!

Social source share

There's #146 "Rainbow Week" and #152 "Do You Ever" also on DeLuxe. Think it was the latter which was released after the Columbia release?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

There's #146 "Rainbow Week" and #152 "Do You Ever" also on DeLuxe. Think it was the latter which was released after the Columbia release?

Opps forgot about those - don't think we can really count # 152, though, as it's a reissue of an earlier De Luxe 45 with a new catalogue number...

TONY

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert