Sad News - Lyn Collins

Mike

Posted on Mon, Mar. 14, 2005

https://www.mercurynews.com

Lyn Collins, singer and James Brown Revue member, dead at 56

ALEX VEIGA

Associated Press

LOS ANGELES - Lyn Collins, whose funky vocals landed her a spot early in James Brown's stage show and the nickname "Female Preacher," has died. She was 56.

Collins, whose voice was also sampled in the 1980s hip-hop hit "It Takes Two," died of cardiac arrhythmia Sunday night at Huntington Memorial Hospital in Pasadena, her son Bobby Jackson said Monday.

"It was very sudden. Very unexpected," he said, adding that she arrived at the hospital Wednesday night.

Collins, who lived in Abilene, Texas, was visiting the Los Angeles area after having returned from a tour in Europe last month, Jackson said. She was due to start touring again next month.

Born in Dime Box, Texas, Collins took up singing as a teenager. At 14, she married a man who worked as the local promoter for the James Brown Revue. Brown heard Collins sing and in 1970 she was invited to join his traveling show.

Her powerful voice led Brown to nickname her the "Female Preacher," and two years later, she cut her first solo album, "Think (About It)."

In 1975, Collins released "Check Me Out If You Don't Know Me By Now."

Over the years, Collins' songs have also appeared in various compilations, but it was hip-hop duo Rob Base & D.J. E-Z Rock who exposed Collins' work to a new generation when they sampled one of her songs for their 1988 hit "It Takes Two."

The rest of article can be read at

https://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews...ws/11136520.htm

Social source share

• Replies 4
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted on Mon, Mar. 14, 2005

https://www.mercurynews.com

Lyn Collins, singer and James Brown Revue member, dead at 56

ALEX VEIGA

Associated Press

LOS ANGELES - Lyn Collins, whose funky vocals landed her a spot early in James Brown's stage show and the nickname "Female Preacher," has died. She was 56.

Collins, whose voice was also sampled in the 1980s hip-hop hit "It Takes Two," died of cardiac arrhythmia Sunday night at Huntington Memorial Hospital in Pasadena, her son Bobby Jackson said Monday.

"It was very sudden. Very unexpected," he said, adding that she arrived at the hospital Wednesday night.

Collins, who lived in Abilene, Texas, was visiting the Los Angeles area after having returned from a tour in Europe last month, Jackson said. She was due to start touring again next month.

Born in Dime Box, Texas, Collins took up singing as a teenager. At 14, she married a man who worked as the local promoter for the James Brown Revue. Brown heard Collins sing and in 1970 she was invited to join his traveling show.

Her powerful voice led Brown to nickname her the "Female Preacher," and two years later, she cut her first solo album, "Think (About It)."

In 1975, Collins released "Check Me Out If You Don't Know Me By Now."

Over the years, Collins' songs have also appeared in various compilations, but it was hip-hop duo Rob Base & D.J. E-Z Rock who exposed Collins' work to a new generation when they sampled one of her songs for their 1988 hit "It Takes Two."

The rest of article can be read at

https://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews...ws/11136520.htm

link

Very very sad news indeed...I have loved her stuff from a very early age...Top tune for me was "Take me as i am"..Rest in peace my Female Preacher..

Social source share

Guest Kolla

Absolutely awful news. Christ, she was only 56! So sad.

Thanks to my dad's love of JB; Lynn Collins, Marvin Whitney and Vicki Anderson featured heavily in our house when I was growing up... and out of the three, Lynn was the one I always adored - from the way she said "sandwich" (How Long Can I Keep it Up) to the way she yelled "baby!" (Give It Up or Turn It Loose), she was magnificent.

God bless the female preacher.

Social source share

It seems week by week,month by month,year by year, we are losing our soul heroes and heroines,sad reminders of the passage of time. :thumbsup: my fave Lyn Collins cut is THINK, i first heard this track at the Wag club in the early 80s with an ex boyfriend who musically, amongst other things, educated me in all strands and appreciation of black music, Del xx

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert