Set Openers

• Replies 37
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I always leave my spot with the dancefloor as full as possible so the next dj has a start, usually i think its all down to being at a venue early enough to read the crowd and obviusly seeing whats been played previously and watching dancefloor reactions :lol:

I feel it is critical that your first tune up , is one that is in a similar style / tempo to the last one played by the previous DJ , in order not to disrupt the " flow " of the dancers on the floor , making it easier to programme the rest of the sides in your spot ......

There is nothing worse - and I speak from experience - of selecting a side that you consider to be the terrier's testicles , and it kills the floor stone dead ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

I feel it is critical that your first tune up , is one that is in a similar style / tempo to the last one played by the previous DJ , in order not to disrupt the " flow " of the dancers on the floor , making it easier to programme the rest of the sides in your spot ......

There is nothing worse - and I speak from experience - of selecting a side that you consider to be the terrier's testicles , and it kills the floor stone dead ........

Malc Burton

morning malc! agreed totally mate, hate dj`s who just walk in 10 mins before there spots n kill the place stone dead, i suppose also knowing the crowd is key as well :lol:

Social source share

morning malc! agreed totally mate, hate dj`s who just walk in 10 mins before there spots n kill the place stone dead, i suppose also knowing the crowd is key as well :lol:

Morning H - I hope you have made Di a brew before you took to the keyboard .........

Once again reiterating my previous statement , there is nothing worse than a " tumbleweed moment " ........

if your opening record kills it , you are batting on a sticky wicket from the offset , and it does not matter if that tune cost £2.00 or £2,000 if the dancefloor vote with their feet ......

Malc Burton

post-5097-1212728939.jpg

Social source share

Morning H - I hope you have made Di a brew before you took to the keyboard .........

Once again reiterating my previous statement , there is nothing worse than a " tumbleweed moment " ........

if your opening record kills it , you are batting on a sticky wicket from the offset , and it does not matter if that tune cost £2.00 or £2,000 if the dancefloor vote with their feet ......

Malc Burton

The good lady, was still in bed malc, we have a bird box under our bedroom window full of blue tits and the introduction of a magpie into the garden at 5am began BIRDWARS :lol:

Social source share

My last three sets Iv'e started with

Baby I want you -The Moments

You're gonna make me love you - Thee Midnighters

You didn't have to leave me - The Ellusions

For my last set , I had a change of raquet and new balls :lol: ........

Seriously , if I follow anyone . I will ensure I have viewed the dancefloor during their set , and attempt to select the first two or three that are of a similar style , and then programme records to follow as I feel are required .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Seriously , if I follow anyone . I will ensure I have viewed the dancefloor during their set , and attempt to select the first two or three that are of a similar style , and then programme records to follow as I feel are required .......

The only sensible answer for my money. :lol:

I generally start my sets with the track that's excited me most in the days leading up to the gig. It changes daily so it's often a difficult choice. :P

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

The only sensible answer for my money. :lol:

I generally start my sets with the track that's excited me most in the days leading up to the gig. It changes daily so it's often a difficult choice. :P

For me i think the dj should kick off the way they mean to go so i'd start with a thumper , stating my intention so it'd be something like leo price - hey now baby.

I don't like when dj's play enders at the end of each set , enders are for the end of the night so i'd expect the previous player to have ended with an uptempo number....though saying that i ended with a beat ballad at basics before marcus from hard as nails came on, for a laugh more than anything haha

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

The best DJ I've ever seen once told me "Start off with your best record".

That's pretty good advice wink.gif

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

I always leave my spot with the dancefloor as full as possible so the next dj has a start, usually i think its all down to being at a venue early enough to read the crowd and obviusly seeing whats been played previously and watching dancefloor reactions biggrin.gif

i think its good manners for the dj before you to let you know 2 or 3 records in advance what they are finishing with, gives you time to pick out a fitting record to start your set with and build from there

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

i think its good manners for the dj before you to let you know 2 or 3 records in advance what they are finishing with, gives you time to pick out a fitting record to start your set with and build from there

It shouldn't take that long ...should it ? You certainly wouldn't get that long if double decking.

A dj should be able to think on their feet

Social source share

i have talked to a couple of bigish named djs in our area and they say they plan all of there set out beofre they get in to the venue its self.-- That tottaly confusses me because you wont know who is exactly gonna be there surly :yes:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

i have talked to a couple of bigish named djs in our area and they say they plan all of there set out beofre they get in to the venue its self.-- That tottaly confusses me because you wont know who is exactly gonna be there surly :)

to me thats not a dj , thats someone who puts records on ...you could train a monkey to do that

Social source share

The best DJ I've ever seen once told me "Start off with your best record".

That's pretty good advice :(

Your best record might not be everyone else's :D

and if they don't like that then your in panic mode :thumbsup:

One that always has got my attention and i never tire of hearing.....

" I don't know about you" -Constellations

Just wish i had it :ohmy:

Social source share

I personally disagree

I think all dj' s should get together and discuss what theyre gonna play

Then decide what times theyre gonna be on

Then put a program on the table with dj playlists beforehand

That way it'd be like a well organised show put on for the punters instead of a competition between dj/collectors trying to outdo each others sets!

Does that sound complicated ?

Oh and like yours ,it's only an opinion,feel free to disagree :thumbup:

Edited by NORTHERN NEV
Social source share

I personally disagree

I think all dj' s should get together and discuss what theyre gonna play

Then decide what times theyre gonna be on

Then put a program on the table with dj playlists beforehand

That way it'd be like a well organised show put on for the punters instead of a competition between dj/collectors trying to outdo each others sets!

Does that sound complicated ?

Oh and like yours ,it's only an opinion,feel free to disagree tongue.gif

I'M NO DJ, JUST A PLAIN OLD PUNTER WHO LOVES TO DANCE. CAN'T SEE HOW THIS WOULD WORK AT ALL. THERE SURELY HAS TO BE AN ELEMENT OF SURPRISE!! :yes:

IF I PERSONALLY SAW A DJ'S PLAYLIST BEFOREHAND AND IT WASN'T TO MY TASTE I'D PROBABLY BOG OFF OUTSIDE AND SMOKE MYSELF TO DEATH, MAYBE JUST POPPING IN TO TRY AND CATCH THE ONES I DID LIKE.

IMO, THE DANCE FLOOR TELLS THE STORY!! ANY DJ WORTH HIS SALT WOULD HAVE TO CHANGE THE PLAYLIST IF PEOPLE WERE SAT ON THEIR ARSES, UNLESS OF COURSE THEY'RE THE TYPE WHO JUST WANTS TO PLAY THEIR EXPENSIVE RECORDS AND DON'T GIVE A SHIT!!! :thumbup:

Edited by jimbob62
Social source share

if people are dancing i think you should follow the last dj in style and tempo......if the floor is empty ...a classic with a good intro, maybe harold melvins get out ...would give people a chance to put down their drinks ! or roy hamiltons crackin up over you...wicked beginning...both would make me leave a conversation half way through if i was a punter...

as for sorting your playlist out in advance,ok if youre a new dj and a bit nervous if not its just lazy in my opinion

Social source share

THE SNAKE ......ALWAYS DOES IT FOR ME

OR ...GHOST IN MY HOUSE...

OR IF THE PREVIOUS DJ WAS FINISHING ON 70,S

LOVE ON A MOUNTAIN TOP.

FLOOR FILLERS EVERY TIME... :g::thumbup:

THE G MAN

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cum on mate ur 45,s are,nt in that class surely :huh:

Do i love u indeed i do g.gif:yes:

Social source share

When it comes to a DJ startiing off a set , one of the best I have seen , had to be Bill Payne ........

Payney had a " take no prisoners " attitude when it came to opening his set ( irrespective of who he followed , and what they had played ) , as he would launch himself at full throttle into it , with his / the immortal " This is Detroit : This is Motown : This is the Motown sound " narrative , and play three first class guaranteed floorfillers .........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Personally

Yes i agree you should be there earlier to hear the preceding music

But disagree strongly that you have to follow the last guys style.

Main reason for being early is to avoid duplication and also similiarity.

For example the last guy finishes with twenty minutes of well known oldies or modern.

A good DJ needs to introduce himself, get the crowds attention and go for it.

Trying to be different myself i usually start with an instrumental.

If its an upfront crowd. usually Joey dee how can i forget

Mixed crowd. The Dogs Soul step

Oldies/handbag crowd. Six by Six

followed by a biggie or an oldie depending on the reaction (usually sixties)

Anything from Damon Fox, Joe jama, timmy williams, Magnets (rasel), Joann courcy, The Martells to Gwen owens (velgo)

Its up to them to keep up with me after that

Edited by CheltSoulNights
Social source share

surely This thread asked what entices you to the floor as a dancer..........not how do you entice dancers onto the floor as a collector who aspires to be tony blackburn, :D

If Im at a do....(and i do dj have done since 1980).... the tracks that entice me onto the floor are Freddie houston, if i had known,

the appreciations, its better to cry, melba moore standing right here....and many more in that style

Geeoooooooordie

Social source share

surely This thread asked what entices you to the floor as a dancer..........not how do you entice dancers onto the floor as a collector who aspires to be tony blackburn, laugh.gif

If Im at a do....(and i do dj have done since 1980).... the tracks that entice me onto the floor are Freddie houston, if i had known,

the appreciations, its better to cry, melba moore standing right here....and many more in that style

Geeoooooooordie

OK, let's answer the question!!! What entices me to the floor is something with a hard driving beat. Something with a bit of 'ooomph' as I like to call it!!! :unsure:

Soul Dance No. 3 by Carl Holmes does it for me!!! thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Sometimes about half an hour before i go on i sit quietly and have a think about the first record. For me once i get the first one out of the way I`m cooking...but that first one is the most important of the night.

I always try and compliment the previous DJ if he has been packing the floor or change things if he has been struggling a bit but the first record has got to go down well with the floor.

Chris

Social source share

surely This thread asked what entices you to the floor as a dancer..........not how do you entice dancers onto the floor as a collector who aspires to be tony blackburn, :lol:

Geeoooooooordie

In one Geordie, never a dj will you be if a dancer you weren't first.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert