Bournemouth Uni Sat 6th December

Yes thats right a FREE SOUL NIGHT.We're back for our 1st Anniversary and last one of the year at - The Loft Bar,Bournemouth Uni.

DJ's are - Pete Lyster,Paul McKay,Ian Spittle,Dave Morris + 1tbc.

Did have Danny North down to dj but he's had an unfortunate accident and will be off the scene for a few months.

Times are 8pm- 2am.Free car parking and drinks at student prices.

Also got giveaway cd as well.

Hope to see lots of you there.

Dave & Viv

• Replies 34
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Yes thats right a FREE SOUL NIGHT.We're back for our 1st Anniversary and last one of the year at - The Loft Bar,Bournemouth Uni.

Did have Danny North down to dj but he's had an unfortunate accident and will be off the scene for a few months.

Dave & Viv

Sad news about Danny. Hope he gets better soon, I heard that his opp had gone well. We all from farnborough wishes him a fast return to the scene

Guest Dave Mortimore

Dave & Viv

. Hi Dave, I think you know that things have changed at the Bournemouth University Soul Night for the better since you switched rooms from Dylan's Bar to the newly refurbished Loft Bar. The most notable physical improvement being the larger dancefloor, with it's smooth oak boards providing an ideal surface to slide your feet around on. But more notably, the three events since the move have been really enjoyable. This has been mainly due to the high standard of soul music that has been produced by the various D.J.s .

. We've enjoyed the lesser known uptempo rarities delivered by Simon Preston, Steve C and Tim Smithers, with the vast majority of the devotees staying on to the 2 a.m. finish and beyond, thanks to the very well managed final sets by yourself, our host Dave Morris. The most impressive D.J. , I would have to say for the extensive range of quality sounds he produced, has been Doctor Pickles, when he visited in August.

. Needless to say Dave, looking at the D.J. line-up you've assembled for December 6th, that we're in for another very enjoyable and entertaining evening in Bournemouth.

Edited by Dave Mortimore

. Hi Dave, I think you know that things have changed at the Bournemouth University Soul Night for the better since you switched rooms from Dylan's Bar to the newly refurbished Loft Bar. The most notable physical improvement being the larger dancefloor, with it's smooth oak boards providing an ideal surface to slide your feet around on. But more notably, the three events since the move have been really enjoyable. This has been mainly due the high standard of soul music that has been produced by the various D.J.s .

. We've enjoyed the lesser known uptempo rarities delivered by Simon Preston, Steve C and Tim Smithers, with the vast majority of the devotees staying on to the 2 a.m. finish and beyond, thanks to the very well managed final sets by yourself, our host Dave Morris. The most impressive D.J. , I would have to say for the extensive range of quality sounds he produced, has been Doctor Pickles, when he visited in August.

. Needless to say Dave, looking at the D.J. line-up you've assembled for December 6th, that we're in for another very enjoyable and entertaining evening in Bournemouth.

Dave,

Thanks for the kind comments.As a promoter although still learning I try to get DJ's on who can produce something a little different from the norm but can get the dancers up.

Have already got a replacement for Danny.He's smooth, :wub: suave, laugh.gif:P not too sophisticated :lol::lol: but has some damn good records in his box. :thumbsup:

Dave,

Thanks for the kind comments.As a promoter although still learning I try to get DJ's on who can produce something a little different from the norm but can get the dancers up.

Have already got a replacement for Danny.He's smooth, :lol: suave, :):D not too sophisticated :P:lol: but has some damn good records in his box. ph34r.gif

Hi Dave,Viv ,

we're both looking forward to coming to Bournrmouth for the first time and we have been hearing good things about the venue - particularly the d-j's and choice of records

see you all on the 6th Dec

pete and cathy

Guest Dave Mortimore

1st Anniversary and last one of the year at - The Loft Bar,Bournemouth Uni.

. One thing, I haven't mentioned is the Play-lists provided by yourself and the guest D.J.s on the Events LookBack strings after the University soul nights.

. Well, they're really informative in jogging the mind back to the tunes, with their accompanying artists, that were played during the different sets. But, like a double-edged sword, they also cut the other way in telling me what had been missed prior to arrival. I remember scanning Doctor Pickles' extensive list, only to realize that he had played some sounds I would have dearly liked to hear, as well as dance to. I wished I could have only got there earliar, but as you know, organising the family is always a hurdle to get over. None the less, please continue with them, as the lists are a really useful reference and a nice touch to your Lookback string.

We'll certainly keep the playlists coming Dave don't worry on that score.Just waiting to see what time I can get in to set up as want to play a couple of tunes out loud 1st thing to see what they sound like.

All dj's have a couple of spots so something there for everyone.Will post times up nearer date.

Dave.

Hi Dave,Viv ,

we're both looking forward to coming to Bournrmouth for the first time and we have been hearing good things about the venue - particularly the d-j's and choice of records

pete and cathy

Hi Pete & Cathy,

Can't wait to hear what goodies you've got in your box Pete.All the dj's this year have done us and them selves proud.Hope to progress further next year.

Dave.

Guest Dave Mortimore

Hi Dave,Viv ,

pete and cathy

. Hi there Pete, You may or may not remember me? We briefly chatted at the end of the evening at Bournemouth Pier some 18 months ago and you commented on the warm reception your team Man Utd got whenever they visited Stoke in many years gone by. We really enjoyed the wide range of sounds you played at 'Soul On The Sea' and look forward to your offerings at Bournemouth University. I've noticed your member I.D. is RicTicMan and therefore I wondered if any of the following would be out of the question? Come the 5th of December :-

. J.J.Barnes - I ain't gonna do it

. Laura Lee - to win your heart

. Andre Williams - You got it and I want it

. Al Kent - The way you've been acting lately

. Edwin Starr - Back Street

. See you there on the night ......... Dave Mortimore

Edited by Dave Mortimore

. Hi there Pete, You may or may not remember me? We briefly chatted at the end of the evening at Bournemouth Pier some 18 months ago and you commented on the warm reception your team Man Utd got whenever they visited Stoke in many years gone by. We really enjoyed the wide range of sounds you played at 'Soul On The Sea' and look forward to your offerings at Bournemouth University. I've noticed your member I.D. is RicTicMan and therefore I wondered if any of the following would be out of the question? Come the 5th of December :-

. J.J.Barnes - I ain't gonna do it

. Laura Lee - to win your heart

. Andre Williams - You got it and I want it

. Al Kent - The way you've been acting lately

. Edwin Starr - Back Street

. See you there on the night ......... Dave Mortimore

Dave,

Think I've got most of above so will stick in my box.Although I've got an alternate version of Andre Williams by Clarence Jackson and am pretty sure Pete has The Fabulous Apollo's version.

Will be in at 6.30pm on night to set up.

DJ times to follow shortly.

Dave.

you said suave n not very sophisticated.. :rolleyes: i had high hopes then i saw it was none other than mr sophistication himself he who should not be named on here.. looking forward to a good night.. see you there.. sean n helen.

Guest Dave Mortimore

Dave,

Think I've got most of above so will stick in my box.Although I've got an alternate version of Andre Williams by Clarence Jackson and am pretty sure Pete has The Fabulous Apollo's version.

Will be in at 6.30pm on night to set up.

DJ times to follow shortly.

Dave.

. Yes, If it don't fit, don't force it is fine by me. When it comes to requests I have to be considered in my approach to your goodself. Let me explain.

. Many moons ago, I remember chatting to you about what you had in your collection and I was single-mindedly making mental notes of the really good dance tunes you had mentioned, so that I could request some of them in the future. I then mentioned, "Have you got Terrible tom - We were made for each other ? To which you replied, "Yes." An answer you were later to regret. My heart lifted on that one word. A first rate stomper I hadn't heard in donkey's years. "Brilliant!" I thought. Then you followed up with the words, "But only on a bootleg."

. I'm afraid it was too late, I was hooked! During the following months whenever I ran into you behind the decks, out would come the list of requests with me pointing right at the top to Terrible Tom, backed up with a, "Can you play it Dave?" . The reply was always, "I haven't brought it with me."

. It got to a stage where you'd see me coming and your eyes would roll back. "Not you again!" Must have been your thoughts. Each time I got the kick-back the more dis-illusioned I would become. I just couldn't understand why you wouldn't play it..? To shake me off, you eventually said that you had sold it.

. It was later that I learned of your principled stance of playing only original vinyl. Then it was my turn to roll back my eyes. I just hadn't realised it, but all of that time I'd been talking to a brick wall. So in retrospect, I must apologise about the hassle in the past and although I fully support those that break this protocol for the sake of the punters wanting to hear the music, I wouldn't expect you to sacrifice your principles on my behalf.

. All that aside, I've been impressed with some of the tunes you have been pulling out of late. I think you picked up on Maurice & The Radiants - Baby you got it, after I had requested it from another D.J. . It was great to hear it again in a dance hall, after such a long time, at Bournemouth University.

. Sorry we didn't catch up with you on Saturday. Family issues got in the way and prevented us from getting to The Crown.

.......................................................................... Dave

Edited by Dave Mortimore

you said suave n not very sophisticated.. :lol: i had high hopes then i saw it was none other than mr sophistication himself he who should not be named on here.. looking forward to a good night.. see you there.. sean n helen.

It should be a belter of a night having an idea what the others have in their boxes.Look forward to seeing you there.

Dave.

. Yes, If it don't fit, don't force it is fine by me. When it comes to requests I have to be considered in my approach to your goodself. Let me explain.

. Many moons ago, I remember chatting to you about what you had in your collection and I was single-mindedly making mental notes of the really good dance tunes you had mentioned, so that I could request some of them in the future. I then mentioned, "Have you got Terrible tom - We were made for each other ? To which you replied, "Yes." An answer you were later to regret. My heart lifted on that one word. A first rate stomper I hadn't heard in donkey's years. "Brilliant!" I thought. Then you followed up with the words, "But only on a bootleg."

. I'm afraid it was too late, I was hooked! During the following months whenever I ran into you behind the decks, out would come the list of requests with me pointing right at the top to Terrible Tom, backed up with a, "Can you play it Dave?" . The reply was always, "I haven't brought it with me."

. It got to a stage where you'd see me coming and your eyes would roll back. "Not you again!" Must have been your thoughts. Each time I got the kick-back the more dis-illusioned I would become. I just couldn't understand why you wouldn't play it..? To shake me off, you eventually said that you had sold it.

. It was later that I learned of your principled stance of playing only original vinyl. Then it was my turn to roll back my eyes. I just hadn't realised it, but all of that time I'd been talking to a brick wall. So in retrospect, I must apologise about the hassle in the past and although I fully support those that break this protocol for the sake of the punters wanting to hear the music, I wouldn't expect you to sacrifice your principles on my behalf.

. All that aside, I've been impressed with some of the tunes you have been pulling out of late. I think you picked up on Maurice & The Radiants - Baby you got it, after I had requested it from another D.J. . It was great to hear it again in a dance hall, after such a long time, at Bournemouth University.

. Sorry we didn't catch up with you on Saturday. Family issues got in the way and prevented us from getting to The Crown.

.......................................................................... Dave

Dave you ask away.If we've got it you know we'll play it.Yes did have TT only on a boot.Not sure what I did with it.

Am trying to stick with the original vinyl only policy as its what I believe in.

As for the Crown what a great night it was.Still you can make up for it at The Uni.

Dave

Just a quick update on whats happening.Paul McKay rang me yesterday asking if he could pull out as he'd been asked to dj at The 100 Club allnighter on same date.

I didn't have a problem letting Paul go as he's a top man.

I wont be asking anyone else to dj at short notice,so have given the dj's slightly longer spots and knowing the guys I've got on they'll dig a little deeper into their collections.

Dave.

Guest Dave Mortimore

Just a quick update on whats happening.Paul McKay rang me yesterday asking if he could pull out as he'd been asked to dj at The 100 Club allnighter on same date.

I didn't have a problem letting Paul go as he's a top man.

I wont be asking anyone else to dj at short notice,so have given the dj's slightly longer spots and knowing the guys I've got on they'll dig a little deeper into their collections.

Dave.

. Hi Dave, We're sorry to hear that Paul Mckay is unable to make it. He's another one of those quality imported D.J.s that you've managed to attract in recent months. He'll be missed.

. Moldie, although from further afield, is like a local (along with his mucker Chris Thorley) due to his fervent support and although he may not be suave, he always does a grand job of pleasing the crowd. I've heard many positive things of Ian Spittle, Whose offerings will be a new experience for me. Then there's Pete Lyster, who I know will have some things within his sets to tickle my old school tastes. So along with yourself, the four D.J.s should have a fair crack of the whip!

. We're looking forward to the music and the opportunity to stretch our legs, seeing as we didn't get out last Saturday.

...................................................... Dave & Jan

Edited by Dave Mortimore

. Hi Dave, We're sorry to hear that Paul Mckay is unable to make it. He's another one of those quality imported D.J.s that you've managed to attract in recent months. He'll be missed.

...................................................... Dave & Jan

Thanks for the kind words Dave! I've actually been doing the Uni since the start but missed 2 earlier this year due to other DJing commitments. Have a great night and see you in the New Year (though not in February as I'm in Bilbao).

Take care

Paul

Thanks for the kind words Dave! I've actually been doing the Uni since the start but missed 2 earlier this year due to other DJing commitments. Have a great night and see you in the New Year (though not in February as I'm in Bilbao).

Take care

Paul

GREAT THREAD THIS ONE - I'LL BE PACKING THE PLAY BOX AND TRYING TO KEEP MOST PEOPLE HAPPY - BUT DEF. PUSHING THE BAR A BIT AS I KNOW THAT'S DAVE'S MUSIC POLICY .

AND VINCE, IF YOU'RE READING THIS , I'D LIKE TO KNOW YOUR'E GOING TO BE THERE ?? I'VE STILL GOT REQUESTS FOR YOU THAT DIDN'T GET DEALT WITH AT BRIDGWATER ON SAT.

PETE

Hope all goes well for you Dave. As you're aware Dave and I will be playing Burnley Friday and then onto Bishop Aukland on Saturday so unless we come across some form of supersonic transport will miss you. Sure it'll be a pucka nite especially with The Spittle man spinning!!! :thumbsup:

Best

Steve C

Hope all goes well for you Dave. As you're aware Dave and I will be playing Burnley Friday and then onto Bishop Aukland on Saturday so unless we come across some form of supersonic transport will miss you. Sure it'll be a pucka nite especially with The Spittle man spinning!!! :shades:

Best

Steve C

Steve,thats this weekend if I'm not mistaken.Dave has already told me he'll be at the100 club next week,Dec 6th, when uni is on.Will catch up with you both at some stage.

Dave.

GREAT THREAD THIS ONE - I'LL BE PACKING THE PLAY BOX AND TRYING TO KEEP MOST PEOPLE HAPPY - BUT DEF. PUSHING THE BAR A BIT AS I KNOW THAT'S DAVE'S MUSIC POLICY .

AND VINCE, IF YOU'RE READING THIS , I'D LIKE TO KNOW YOUR'E GOING TO BE THERE ?? I'VE STILL GOT REQUESTS FOR YOU THAT DIDN'T GET DEALT WITH AT BRIDGWATER ON SAT.

PETE

If Vince isn't reading this it wont be a problem Pete as he'll be there I'm sure.Think you'll have a few more requests coming in from others there as well.

See you and Cathy on the 6th.

Dave & Viv.

If Vince isn't reading this it wont be a problem Pete as he'll be there I'm sure.Think you'll have a few more requests coming in from others there as well.

See you and Cathy on the 6th.

Dave & Viv.

spot on Dave

probably only let him out at the weekend anyway ? [ joking Vince ! ]

see you both Sat

Guest The Driffter

Heard the Oldsoulies from Chard may be coming now they have recovered from "Soul inthe Sun ".

Especially if Mr Lister brings "The Ilusions" You didnt have to Leave.

Looking forwards to the night save us a cd From Jeff and Carys xx

Heard the Oldsoulies from Chard may be coming now they have recovered from "Soul inthe Sun ".

Especially if Mr Lister brings "The Ilusions" You didnt have to Leave.

Looking forwards to the night save us a cd From Jeff and Carys xx

right old soulies , write out 100 times

' the record we like is by the ellusions and not the illusions '

if you bring your lines written out neatly , you get it played !

Edited by ricticman

Steve,thats this weekend if I'm not mistaken.Dave has already told me he'll be at the100 club next week,Dec 6th, when uni is on.Will catch up with you both at some stage.

Dave.

Doh....sorry bud. Yes....I HAVE TO GO TO THE 100 Club as its my daughters 18th and she's insisted she wants to attend.

Sure you'll have a great night.

Guest FREEBIRD

you said suave n not very sophisticated.. g.gif i had high hopes then i saw it was none other than mr sophistication himself he who should not be named on here.. looking forward to a good night.. see you there.. sean n helen.

Meet you there bud.??

Guest Dave Mortimore

Dave you ask away.If we've got it you know we'll play it.Yes did have TT only on a boot.Not sure what I did with it.

Am trying to stick with the original vinyl only policy as its what I believe in.

As for the Crown what a great night it was.Still you can make up for it at The Uni.

Dave

. Hi Dave, As I have an extensive list that may or may not be in your record box, I'll PM my requests to you shortly. Sorry about the large number, but one never knows what is lurking, tucked away and forgotten in anyones collection. Hence, the larger the number of requests the greater the chance of getting a couple of unearthed sounds played.

Dave,

Have sent you pm re your request.Yes rather large but as you'll see I have some tucked away on my shelves & other boxes which i've popped into dj box.

All set to go for saturday night.Sun is now shining down here so anyone coming down to south coast get your christmas shopping done,have a drink/meal in one of the loads of restaurants/bars then get over to the Uni for whats looking like a cracking night of soul music. thumbsup.gif:(

Don't forget your dancing shoes. wink.gif

Dave,

Have sent you pm re your request.Yes rather large but as you'll see I have some tucked away on my shelves & other boxes which i've popped into dj box.

All set to go for saturday night.Sun is now shining down here so anyone coming down to south coast get your christmas shopping done,have a drink/meal in one of the loads of restaurants/bars then get over to the Uni for whats looking like a cracking night of soul music. :D:D

Don't forget your dancing shoes. :D

Hi Dave ,

let me know if I can help out with requests ?

as far as jeff and carys go , everyone else gets the good stuff ; can you line up a side room for those 2, for some Spandau Ballet ??

That'll teach'em !

Hi Dave ,

let me know if I can help out with requests ?

as far as jeff and carys go , everyone else gets the good stuff ; can you line up a side room for those 2, for some Spandau Ballet ??

That'll teach'em !

Certainly can Pete.They can have the main student union bar to themselves with some glam rock thrown in. :(:D:P

Will pm list over.Have marked with asterisk some of them I've got in my box.

Dave.

I will be there , but i wont be asking for any requests :thumbup:

LOOKING FORWARD TO A SAT BY THE SEASIDE TOMORROW - C. THINKS SHE'S GOING SHOPPING , WHEREAS I RECKON IT'S A NICE LATE LUNCH AND THEN A PUB TO WATCH THE MIGHTY REDS PLAY SUNDERLAND.

ANYONE GOT ANY GOOD IDEAS FOR A PUB TO WATCH THE MATCH ON SETANTA , SOMEWHERE NEAR THE CONVENTION CENTRE / BEACH ??

ANYWAY , BOX PACKED , LOOKING FORWARD TO PLAYING BOURNEMOUTH UNI. FOR THE FIRST TIME.

pete

Source Advert