Converting Audio Files

Guest Dan

anyone know how to convert files to mp3 or wav?

i've recorded some vinyl to cd and then put it on my pc from the cd

reason is i've bought a pinnacle clean programme to try and clean up some of the hiss and pop on a few

however, pinnacle will only recognise mp3 and wav files and mine are not either of those

is there an easy answer? help!

by the way words of one syllable greatly appreciated as i am allergic to computers

yours hopefully, dan

Social source share

• Replies 23
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

anyone know how to convert files to mp3 or wav?

i've recorded some vinyl to cd and then put it on my pc from the cd

reason is i've bought a pinnacle clean programme to try and clean up some of the hiss and pop on a few

however, pinnacle will only recognise mp3 and wav files and mine are not either of those

is there an easy answer? help!

by the way words of one syllable greatly appreciated as i am allergic to computers

yours hopefully, dan

link

Hi Dan.... could you not have recorded the tunes onto your PC.... by default they are normally saved as WAV's....

I use PolderBits.... available HERE.... this records your records and then you can edit them down.... i.e. get rid of long run-ins/offs.... you can then save as WAV of MP3 or save as both if you save it twice (as each) :shades:whistling.gif ....

Otherwise if you've got a recording proggy already can you not play the tunes you've saved (not sure what as) and re-record saving as WAV or MP3....

Social source share

Hi Dan.... could you not have recorded the tunes onto your PC.... by default they are normally saved as WAV's....

I use PolderBits.... available HERE.... this records your records and then you can edit them down.... i.e. get rid of long run-ins/offs.... you can then save as WAV of MP3 or save as both if you save it twice (as each) :shades:   whistling.gif ....

Otherwise if you've got a recording proggy already can you not play the tunes you've saved (not sure what as) and re-record saving as WAV or MP3....

link

thanks mark

this might sound like a stupid question but...

how do i record straight onto PC?

currently i have my deck plugged into the PC so that i can hear tunes coming through the pc speakers but there's nothing there telling me how to record them

Social source share

Dan,

There are a few programmes you could use to convert the tracks on the CD to mp3 or wav.

MusicMatch

Easy CD-DA Extractor

or even Windows Media Player which you've probably got on your PC if you're using Microsoft Windows.

Musicmatch gives you 2 choices. There is a free programme which will convert tracks but does them quite slowly. They have another version of the same programme which will rip/convert the tracks much faster; you'll have to pay around US$30 or so for this.

The programme called Easy CD DA Extractor is an excellent programme and one that I use a lot. You can try the 30 day free trial to see if you're comfortable with it. It costs US$24.95 to buy.

Both of these programmes are easier to use IMO than Windows Media Player.

Social source share

thanks mark

currently i have my deck plugged into the PC so that i can hear tunes coming through the pc speakers but there's nothing there telling me how to record them

link

Record onto PC via "line in".... twin mini jack lead (red/white ends) from "video/sound out" on back of my music system, might be different outputs on yours, to "line in" which is a single mini jack.... can pick these two into one leads up from any audio shop mate....

On my PolderBits proggy I have option to select source....from drop down box of "aux, cd player, line in, microphone, mono mix, phone line, stereo mix or video"........

In FAQ's on Polberbits site it tells you all the info there under "connecting a turntable".... will be same for whichever recording proggy you use Dan whistling.gif ....

Social source share

thanks mark

link

Just re-read your post Dan and it appears you must already have the leads I mentioned in my last post whistling.gif ....

So just get a proggy for recording....

Social source share

The latest windows media player is very good for recording off cd's, it converts to WMA but if you download a prog called Easy Audio CD Ripper it easily converts wma to mp3 or whatever you like.  or I could send you the program

link

that would be great pete thanks

you are dealing with a complete moron though so is it technically simple enough for, say, a not very bright two-year-old to work?

Social source share

Just re-read your post Dan and it appears you must already have the leads I mentioned in my last post whistling.gif ....

So just get a proggy for recording....

link

no worries mark thankjs anyway

on to that polder website now

seems like they offer a free two week trial

thing is it will take me two weeks to open the bloody thing up!

am persevering

Social source share

no worries mark thankjs anyway

on to that polder website now

seems like they offer a free two week trial

thing is it will take me two weeks to open the bloody thing up!

am persevering

link

No Dan.... piss simple to use.... and only seconds to load onto PC once downloaded which is also quick....

Has "help" manual if you think you might struggle with it :shades:whistling.gif ....

I used the two week thing and bought licence as was well impressed.... it's a one off payment of £21.50 and then you can also get any updates free which they e-mail you about....

Social source share

No Dan.... piss simple to use.... and only seconds to load onto PC once downloaded which is also quick....

Has "help" manual if you think you might struggle with it :shades:   whistling.gif ....

I used the two week thing and bought licence as was well impressed.... it's a one off payment of £21.50 and then you can also get any updates free which they e-mail you about....

link

mark you're not wrong mate that is fantastic

i owe you a big pint next time see you

have just sent you an email with a tune attached but realised it wasn't, if you know what i mean

but will try to post a newly recorded OC Smith track up with this msg just to prove i'm not as much of a wazzock as i look

Social source share

even quicker!

mark you are a genius thanks a lot

is the sound quality on this latest one good enough for cd burning would you say (this is recorded as mono which seems to take less power?)

Social source share

even quicker!

is the sound quality on this latest one good enough for cd burning would you say (this is recorded as mono which seems to take less power?)

link

Hi Dan

I bought Audio Cleaning Lab from PC World for £15. This enables you to record direct from your record deck, edit the file and save as MP3 Wav etc.

Paul

Social source share

even quicker!

link

Always record with "recording quality" set to "comact disc, stereo" myself Dan.... as long as the "levels" don't peak often in the "red" then your recordings will be fine.... obviously you may need to set different levels for different/quieter/louder records by adjusting before you actually record the tune properly.... can use your mouse on the level indicators or the up/down arrows on your keyboard if not worked out yet Dan....

These will burn with excellent sound quality on to CD.... of course taking into account any "pops" or "surface noise" which with then be on CD as you're technically recording the exact record sound....

Have fun my friend whistling.gif ....

Social source share

thanks all for your help mark and everyone

when it comes to computers i am like rowan atkinson's 'blind man in a dark cellar looking for a black cat...which isn't there'

thats for the tip re that programme you bought paul

i too went into pc world and did the old 'ask a shop assistant for their advice, get lost after 5 seconds, nod sagely as though understanding what he's on about, then buy the one in the prettiest box' (i very much in touch with my female side on pc matters)

in the end i bought a thing called pinnacle clean which is supposed to be the dogs bollocks as far as getting rid of pops and shit. unfortunately at the moment it is about as much use to me as a real pair of dogs bollocks.

has anyone on here ever used pinnacle clean??????????

Social source share

has anyone on here ever used pinnacle clean??????????

link

Not that one.... did try summat else when first got PolderBits, can't remember name of it, but ended up ditching it as never really had a problem and when used for minor pops, clicks, etc., seemed to lose some of sound I thought.... any "small" pops, etc., coming over from CD just adds that authentic listening experience IMO albeit in digital form on CD....

Edited by vaultofsouler
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert