ChrisOD1964

• Replies 53
  • Views 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

eddie holman played in newcastle at tiffanys what year? who was there? who d`jED?

Think he was at Tiffanys in about 82/83. Snake Davies was the backing band.We had the pleasure of meeting him after he was finished. I do remember him telling us that he thought he had versions of him singing "Wanted in three states" on acetate somwhere in his house back in the states.

Dj,s on the night Chris King, Keith Minshill and Dave Evison spring to mind. But not 100% sure

About 5 years ago Some of us came down to Newcastle, Me and Keith Whitson were asked to play some Northern sounds at the Station hotel. As we were walking up to the hotel i happened to mention to Keith that i had never dj,d in Newcastle before. Only to be told that i had. At the Eddie Holman gig in Tiffanys. unsure.gif

Social source share

Jolly

About the same time as the Newcastle Tiffany's gig, I believe he also played at Staffords Top of the World - same(ish) DJ line up. But I think that it was just a little later than 83. Perhaps 84/85 or a marangue?

On the same thread, does anyone remember the following gigs also at TOTW:

Lorraine Chandler & Eddie Parker

Harold Melvin & the Bluenotes (didn't turn up - 3 mikes up on the stage looking all lonesome)

Gene Chandler (also played at Hinkley Leisure Centre during the same tour) - this was also fabulous particularly when he came as 'Duke of Earl' complete with top hat, cane and cape!

Mick

Social source share

Jolly

About the same time as the Newcastle Tiffany's gig, I believe he also played at Staffords Top of the World - same(ish) DJ line up. But I think that it was just a little later than 83. Perhaps 84/85 or a marangue?

I taped him at TOTW. the tape has 'Stafford 85 Eddie Holman' writen on it.

Got that on a tape somewhere, but can't find it :unsure:

Gene Chandler (also played at Hinkley Leisure Centre during the same tour) - this was also fabulous particularly when he came as 'Duke of Earl' complete with top hat, cane and cape!

Jan 84?

Mick

Social source share

thaks for that i was more than likely at the station when you were there :unsure:

I was rather unwell that night. Done my spot and retired back to the mini bus, Throwing up everywhere. :lol:

Social source share

Jolly

Harold Melvin & the Bluenotes (didn't turn up - 3 mikes up on the stage looking all lonesome)

Mick

Hi Mick

I do remember seeing Harold Melvin & Blue notes. But i cannot remember where. :lol: Im sure a few weeks after i saw them they got a visit from the boys in blue. Something to do with medication that wasn,t bought over the counter. :unsure:

jolly :P

Social source share

He was on at the 86 club or Nautical William in the late eighties, live on stage with Dennis Lee :thumbup: )))

My ex husband bought a copy of Wanted in three states off him that night.

I ve got a heap of photos I took but I dont have a scanner to upload em!

I too saw him that night. It was bloody awful. He sang to a backing tape then appologised for it later. Ade

Social source share

He also played The Wirrina Peterborough Mid 80's.

Steve

Yes I think I was at that one . Same line up as JR Walker and Major Lance with no show from major Lance .

Eddie done a couple of pop songs amongst the classics if I can recall but dropped them from his set at Hinckley when he appeared later on in the year . Or am I talking bollax seems so long ago now . :thumbup:

Social source share

Yes I think I was at that one . Same line up as JR Walker and Major Lance with no show from major Lance .

Eddie done a couple of pop songs amongst the classics if I can recall but dropped them from his set at Hinckley when he appeared later on in the year . Or am I talking bollax seems so long ago now . :thumbup:

Can't remember meself now, think I was upstairs interviewing him and he'd just discovered "God" so he was more interested in telling me about that. Wasn't a bad show as I remember - think the pop you are referring to might be "Hey there Lonely Girl" :lol: Steve

Social source share

I too saw him that night. It was bloody awful. He sang to a backing tape then appologised for it later. Ade

My photos are of couples dancing together...Gabi and Joanne, Dave and Sue Bell and Ant and Nita are all slow dancing!!!!!!!!!! I remember Eddie being very sweet and signing stuff, he was lovely to meet ..shame about the singing :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
Guest martinsbox

Eddie done a couple of pop songs amongst the classics if I can recall but dropped them from his set at Hinckley when he appeared later on in the year . Or am I talking bollax seems so long ago now . :D

Eddie Holman & junior Walker, both did great sets as far as I can remember. Long time ago, and I was still a teenager!!

p.s. Guess which one is Eddie!!

post-2262-1192820665_thumb.jpg

post-2262-1192820690_thumb.jpg

post-2262-1192820720_thumb.jpg

post-2262-1192820740_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Eddie Holman & junior Walker, both did great sets as far as I can remember. Long time ago, and I was still a teenager!!

What year was that Martin,don't recall that night at all ?

Social source share

Guest martinsbox

Hi Martyn,

It was November 12th/13th 1983. As usual, I'm sure I thumbed it there and back!!

Martin

Social source share

Guest martinsbox

Ooops! Brain cells are slightly mixed up!! I were 23 when I went there. NOT a teenager no more. :D

Social source share

Nice scans , Yes that's the night , went to most of Chris Burtons all-nighters here, Sure Eddie went into Billy Jean then Church of the poison mind , still did the business though .

Junior never failed to deliver did he

Social source share

Guest martinsbox

Nice scans , Yes that's the night , went to most of Chris Burtons all-nighters here, Sure Eddie went into Billy Jean then Church of the poison mind , still did the business though .

Junior never failed to deliver did he

Saw Junior Walker live @ St.Ives in 1977 and he was brilliant there as well!!

Edwin Starr was always worth seeing also wherever he appeared . . . another class artist surely missed by all. :D

Social source share

Edwin Starr was always worth seeing also wherever he appeared . . . another class artist surely missed by all. :lol:

sad.gif Agree . Surely missed ,Always made an effort to see him when I could back then .

Even at a Chicken in a basket night club in Watford called Baileys

Martha Reeves and Mary wells were with him on the same night. He Stole the show had everybody dancing on the floor and down the isles. Top man

Social source share

Hi Martyn,

It was November 12th/13th 1983. As usual, I'm sure I thumbed it there and back!!

Martin

Hi M8,That explains things,I kinda slowed down in mid 83 before totaly packing in ( :lol: loved up).So I wasn't there.

Was it a good night ? I never liked The Wirrina much myself.Remember the bomb scare night though-perhaps thats one for the other thread.

Social source share

• 2 months later...
Guest Bernadette

JOLLY seem````s like you and me have the same kind of memory :D:D

that makes 3 of us...I saw him around that time but thought it was at one of the Darlington allnighters...could easlily have been Tiffanys though :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Even at a Chicken in a basket night club in Watford called Baileys

Martha Reeves and Mary wells were with him on the same night. He Stole the show had everybody dancing on the floor and down the isles. Top man

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bernadette

PLAYED AT THE DOLPHIN CENTRE DARLINGTON ALL NIGHTER CANT REMEMBER WHAT YEAR THOUGH :)

so i wasn't just imaging it wink.gif

more than likely saw him at both...it's all very vague :D

Social source share

Chris

I was there it was about 83/84, sure Pat Brady was on, but bthat may of been on of the other nighters they had at Tiffs, sure kev johnson was there so he may know the date and line up

Paul Conroy

Tyneside Soul Promotions

so i wasn't just imaging it wink.gif

more than likely saw him at both...it's all very vague :D

Social source share

Guest Bernadette

Chris

I was there it was about 83/84, sure Pat Brady was on, but bthat may of been on of the other nighters they had at Tiffs, sure kev johnson was there so he may know the date and line up

Paul Conroy

Tyneside Soul Promotions

wish i'd kept all me flyers...if i'd known what a crap memory i was gonna have :D

Social source share

• 2 months later...

eddie holman played in newcastle at tiffanys what year? who was there? who d`jED?

EDDIE HOLMAN PLAYED NEWCASTLE TIFFANYS 14TH JAN 1984 NOT SURE OF THE DATE BUT I THINK THE SAME YEAR HE PLAYED DOLPHIN CENTRE DARLINGTON

GENE CHANDLER HINKLEY 2ND SEPT 1983 AND WAS DUE TO PLAY DOLPHIN CENTRE APRIL 13TH 1984 BUT DIDNT SHOW SO AS A REPLACEMENT WE GOT RICHARD POPCORN WYLIE

OTHER DATES I SAW SUPREMES HINKLEY 22 OCT AND ALSO ON WAS KIM WESTON 26TH NOV I THINK 84

HARRY

Social source share

EDDIE HOLMAN PLAYED NEWCASTLE TIFFANYS 14TH JAN 1984 NOT SURE OF THE DATE BUT I THINK THE SAME YEAR HE PLAYED DOLPHIN CENTRE DARLINGTON

GENE CHANDLER HINKLEY 2ND SEPT 1983 AND WAS DUE TO PLAY DOLPHIN CENTRE APRIL 13TH 1984 BUT DIDNT SHOW SO AS A REPLACEMENT WE GOT RICHARD POPCORN WYLIE

OTHER DATES I SAW SUPREMES HINKLEY 22 OCT AND ALSO ON WAS KIM WESTON 26TH NOV I THINK 84

HARRY

are you sure about the newcastle date? were you there?

chris :D

Social source share

He was on at the 86 club or Nautical William in the late eighties, live on stage with Dennis Lee smile.gif )))

My ex husband bought a copy of Wanted in three states off him that night.

I ve got a heap of photos I took but I dont have a scanner to upload em!

Eddie H at the Nautical William......

post-1770-1207065621_thumb.jpg

Social source share

I dont remember which was first Darlington or Newcastle.

What I do remember is that on his 1st night he sang a lot of ballads as he wasnt aware of the songs he was supposed to be singing for the northern crowd.

I remember sitting with Steve Whittle while he was writing the lyrics to various songs out for him

Eddie was a top bloke though spent hours chatting to him at one Great Yarmouth Weekender, used to send him tapes but lost his address when I moved house

Social source share

Mrs Shute and I (plus hundreds of others!) saw Eddie Holman at Morecambe Pier on a scooter rally about '84 I think .. he was great!! Remember lying in a corner somewhere having drunk a few cans of strongbow singing out to "Hey There Lonely Girl" with him!! Skinheads kicked off then and I don't recall what really happened after that :thumbsup:

Social source share

are you sure about the newcastle date? were you there?

chris :thumbsup:

yes i,m sure of the date and yes i was there and at the dolphin center for him and popcorn and hinkley for gene chandler and supremes still got some of the tickets /flyers photos etc

and he did sing a few slowies i remember but night to remember made all of those drift into insignificance

cheers

harry :lol:

Social source share

Guest jobete

He was on at Newcastle b4 he did the Dolphin centre, I'm Certain Paul Wright from Darlington did a spot that night also a couple of local jocks had a spot..... got photos of him singing his heart out, the next time I'm up that way I'll drop them off at a soul do, you ought to have a chat with toma or davy mason they'll give you more info

Social source share

Eddie H at the Nautical William......

Ha ha...the two blokes smoking are mates of mine Sal (Garry Crook) and Nobby (Marc) Holland from Shrewsbury....this will give the wrinkly buggers a laugh!

Have "touched" it up a bit with Adobe Photoshop....thanks for the pic!

post-397-1207249910_thumb.jpg

Edited by soulechoes
Social source share

He was on at Newcastle b4 he did the Dolphin centre, I'm Certain Paul Wright from Darlington did a spot that night also a couple of local jocks had a spot..... got photos of him singing his heart out, the next time I'm up that way I'll drop them off at a soul do, you ought to have a chat with toma or davy mason they'll give you more info

yes wrighty used to run the dolphin niter before chris king took over i dj,d when wrighty had it ,then it moved to chris king and pete finn used to be on + pat brady & steve whittle i think

saw wrighty last month at the engineers in darlington in fact he was djing

harry

Social source share

yes wrighty used to run the dolphin niter before chris king took over i dj,d when wrighty had it ,then it moved to chris king and pete finn used to be on + pat brady & steve whittle i think

harry

Was a brilliant night at the dolphin centre, great venue how many nighters did they have there? whatever happened to the place? any ideas HARRY? :yes:

Social source share

Guest Bernadette

Was a brilliant night at the dolphin centre, great venue how many nighters did they have there? whatever happened to the place? any ideas HARRY? :yes:

certainly was...have very fond (and slightly vague :yes: ) memories of it! A car load of us used to drive down from Newcastle courtesy of Frankie Lucas Cabs :lol:

Social source share

Guest jobete

harry

Wrighty never actually ran the Dolphin Centre Allnighters, he did all the leg work, got everything in place but prior to the meeting with the coucil, police & fire dept, they wanted to talk with someone who had experience in running nighters, Wrighty then got in touch with Chris King, the rest is history, Carlo did a few spots also if memory serves, so did Baz Atkinson, shaun gibbons was on a few times & there were guest spots from some of the scottish dj's.

The next time you see Wrighty, let him know I was asking after him........ Cheers

spyk!

Social source share

Guest jobete

harry

Harry next time you see Wrighty ask him if he ever got his 'Hesitations' LP back. Catch up with you sometime.

spyk!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert