On The Soul Side - 26 Soul Grooves - Kent Records
Just released an extended version of the classic 1983 (yes 1983) Kent Records comp, now extended to 26 tracks
An iconic Kent vinyl album expanded to CD format with bonus soul necessities.
Over the years we have been asked to issue CDs versions some of the most popular Kent LPs we put out in the 1980s. With the exception of “Slow’n’Moody, Black & Bluesy”, a few releases in our Hip Pocket series and some solo collections, we have held off until now. “On The Soul Side” is a good place to start, as it was our first compilation drawn from a catalogue other than Kent/Modern. A superb collection of mainly big budget 60s soul sides sourced from the Capitol, Liberty, Minit, Imperial and United Artists family of labels, only a quarter of the tracks on the LP have since appeared on Kent CDs. With an extra 10 like-minded soul songs added, it means that no more than 15.3846% (approx) are likely to be in even the most avid Kent fan’s collection.
For nostalgic souls the first 16 tracks are sequenced as on the LP. Reliving those numbers brought home how good a collection of soul this was. The opening bars of Patrice Holloway’s ‘Love And Desire’ are brimming with instrumentation and backing singers, with her terrific vocals topping it off. Patrice also contributes the fabulous previously unissued ‘The Thrill Of Romance’ from her ‘Stolen Hours’ session – a must for 60s soul fanatics. The collection storms on to more uptempo, metropolitan soul classics from Little Anthony, Bobby Sheen and Jimmy Holiday with Clydie King. We then move south to Memphis for Homer Banks’ brass-fuelled ‘A Lot Of Love’ and Bobby Womack’s ‘What You Gonna Do (When Your Love Is Gone)’. Deeper into the south we hit R&B central – New Orleans – for crucial dance discs from...
full release notes via @ady croasdell can be read via...
1. Love and Desire - Patrice Holloway
2. Gonna Fix You Good (Every Time You're Bad) - Little Anthony & the Imperials
3. Dr. Love - Bobby Sheen
4. Ready, Willing and Able - Jimmy Holiday & Clydie King
5. A Lot of Love - Homer Banks
6. Lipstick Traces (On a Cigarette) - the O'Jays
7. The Record - H.B. Barnum
8. It Was Easier to Hurt Her - Garnet Mimms
9. Fortune Teller - Benny Spellman
10. It Will Stand - the Showmen
11. Boy Watcher - Ginger Thompson
12. Do-Wah-Diddy - the Exciters)
13. I Want You to Be My Baby - Ellie Greenwich
14. Point of No Return - Gene McDaniels with the Johnny Mann Singers
15. Baby I Love You - Jimmy Holiday
16. What's a Matter Baby (Is It Hurting You) - Timi Yuro
17. If You Were a Man - Clydie King
18. Nobody Treats Me the Way You Do - the Magnificent Men
19. The Thrill of Romance (Previously Unissued) - Patrice Holloway
20. It's What's Underneath That Counts - June Jackson
21. What You Gonna Do (When Your Love Is Gone) - Bobby Womack
22. Trick Bag - Earl King
23. Don't Let Your Eyes Get Bigger Than Your Heart - Sylvia Robbins
24. The Man Who Don't Believe in Love - Marv Johnson
25. Love Is a Hurtin' Thing - Lou Rawls
26. Nothing Left to Do But Cry - Merry Clayton