Rbman

• Replies 21
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I know about the Tiny Topsy version on Federal and the late 60s cover Ted Taylor released on Ronn

Lillian Offit on Excello 2104 is the original version...

Other versions on Excello include Roscoe Shelton (2181) and Little Lorene (2226)

Ted Taylor's is far and away the best IMO!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

..is that Florence?....just found that...a real bump and grind feel to that..like that

Yes, as you've subsequently found out, I did mean Florence. That'll teach me to try to type using bananas! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I've got a cheesy instrumental version somewhere....

...Isn't "Good Rockin' by Junior Walker an instrumental of this, sort of?

Social source share

Guest northernmod

Lillian Offit on Excello 2104 is the original version...

I have a copy of this for sale if anyone's interested..

I like ted taylor's version..

Social source share

...Isn't "Good Rockin' by Junior Walker an instrumental of this, sort of?

...ish I suppose.

But the instrumental I have is called "Miss You So", and the lead vocal is replaced by a muted trumpet.

I've also got an (unreleased?) acetate that sounds like Tiny Topsy, singing different lyrics over the backing (or one that's very close).

Social source share

I've also got an (unreleased?) acetate that sounds like Tiny Topsy, singing different lyrics over the backing (or one that's very close).

That's interesting. Being a big fan of Tiny Topsy since first being introduced to her recordings by members of the Liverpool Rock and Roll Society back in the early 70's, any chance of a soundfile, or even just half a sound file?

Thanks in advance.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

found another one...Mickey & Sylvia on Willow 23002

Oooh yes, forgot about that one. Haven't played it for years, must dig it out after breakfast and give it a go...

Social source share

That's interesting. Being a big fan of Tiny Topsy since first being introduced to her recordings by members of the Liverpool Rock and Roll Society back in the early 70's, any chance of a soundfile, or even just half a sound file?

Thanks in advance.

When I get my new cartridges for my decks i'll record a snippet - they are in the post...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Can you post a sound file Tony?

...I haven't yet worked out how to plug my Dansette into the computer - sorry! :thumbsup:

If you PM me with your home e-mail address, I ought to be able to send you an .mp3 from work on Monday, though.

It's a nice 'n' chunky version. Has the same groove, and almost the same backing track, as the Everly Brothers' version of "Lucille", if you're familiar with that, and I can imagine that it would have been a big Belgian Popcorn sound at some time!

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

...I haven't yet worked out how to plug my Dansette into the computer - sorry! :thumbsup:

If you PM me with your home e-mail address, I ought to be able to send you an .mp3 from work on Monday, though.

It's a nice 'n' chunky version. Has the same groove, and almost the same backing track, as the Everly Brothers' version of "Lucille", if you're familiar with that, and I can imagine that it would have been a big Belgian Popcorn sound at some time!

Didn't this also get released on King?

Send me an MP3 Monday as well please Tony. :o)

Think this is it;

MICKEY & SYLVIA - DARLING I MISS YOU SO / LOVE IS STRANGE - KING 6006

Edited by denbo
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Didn't this also get released on King?

Send me an MP3 Monday as well please Tony. :o)

Think this is it;

MICKEY & SYLVIA - DARLING I MISS YOU SO / LOVE IS STRANGE - KING 6006

Sure thing, mate. Let me have your e-mail by PM at some point.

Yes, this is the same recording. Willow was a King-distributed label.

The version of "Love Is Strange" (which also came out on Willow) is interesting. It purports to be a new version of their 1956 Groove/Vik/RCA classic but it's actually the same recording (sounding like it was dubbed of a 45) with a few instruments overdubbed.

I think the King pressing might actually be rarer than the Willow.

Social source share

Thanks Tony...PM on way... there is one for sale on Manship with a sound clip (about 45 secs)...sounds good.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert