London Soul Events

Guest SteveA

As a complete newcomer to the Northern scene, I think there are some cracking nights in London, with something on almost every week-end.

Some nights dont do very much to encourage the uninitiated, which may account for the low numbers (they might like it that way) and some DJ's seem hellbent on either playing only to please themselves or their small group of friends.

I should say that also I have only met friendly people at the do's, with most Soulie's being readily approachable.

Luckily for me, I dont really know what should and shouldnt be played so I operate on (somewhat nievely for the Soul scene it would appear) if a record is good I like it and if it isnt, I dont.

I also dont go out expecting to like everything played, which also helps (I still remember nights out in Plymouth getting excited because one record I liked was played the entire evening).

As I said above I think the London scene is good, with thousands of great sounds out there being played (oldies my preference)

Dave :huh:

Social source share

• Replies 157
  • Views 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

As a complete newcomer to the Northern scene, I think there are some cracking nights in London, with something on almost every week-end.

Some nights dont do very much to encourage the uninitiated, which may account for the low numbers (they might like it that way) and some DJ's seem hellbent on either playing only to please themselves or their small group of friends.

I should say that also I have only met friendly people at the do's, with most Soulie's being readily approachable.

Luckily for me, I dont really know what should and shouldnt be played so I operate on (somewhat nievely for the Soul scene it would appear) if a record is good I like it and if it isnt, I dont.

I also dont go out expecting to like everything played, which also helps (I still remember nights out in Plymouth getting excited because one record I liked was played the entire evening).

As I said above I think the London scene is good, with thousands of great sounds out there being played (oldies my preference)

Dave  ohmy.gif

link

Anyone who has been following this thread & is still interested in getting out & hearing & dancing to brilliant sounds in a brilliant club instead of sitting at home moaning about how it's all gone down the pan, get yourself down to ViVos Saturday 18th June for a great mix of well known classic oldies together with some lesser known or forgotten oldies that just don't get played anymore.

Details as follows:

Solid Hit Soul is on again this Saturday 18th June at Vivo, 17 Watling Street,

London EC4 & this month we have Keith Woon gracing the decks as our special guest.

Keith is well known all over the South for playing fantastic sets & we are really looking forward to having him at Solid Hit Soul.

Resident DJs as always Dave Greenhill (Soul in the City), Gene Robertson, Martin Thomson (These Old Shoes) & Stuart Tyler.

Music Policy is fresh and tasty northern soul for the floor - plenty of classics, current nighter spins plus forgotten and neglected oldies with an emphasis on QUALITY.

The venue is absolutely fantastic with a lovely wooden talc friendly dancefloor.

Admission is a mere £5, doors open at 9pm until 2am.

Nearest tubes are Mansion House, St Pauls and Bank and Liverpool Street is a 10 minute walk.

All night buses also run very close by to get you home to all points of the compass.

Hope to see loads of Soul Sourcers down there

More info on https://www.solidhit.co.uk as it happens and you should be able to see the playlists from February & possibly April.

More info from Martin@northern-soul.com.

Dave 0797 1876661

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

hi Ady

i know what you mean about planned sets. graham and i had a pretty structured set all worked but had to scrap it completely in order to get the dancefloor moving

Andy

link

Structured set?! Planned sets never work! And isn't really any way to DJ. The job of anyone behind a pair of decks is to entertain he crowd. And If they don't respond to a record, then it's back to square one. Have to do it every week. Things you think are brilliant fall on deaf ears and it's back to the tested greats. There's nothing wrong with that as long as you build yourself back up again.

Sets can't ever be structured, since a dancefloor is the most fickle of all and you've gotta be prepared for the inevitable floor emptier!

And what happens when another DJ plays half your tunes?!

Mind you, some DJ's don't even care about that nowadays.

Social source share

link

that's the only criterion dave

Social source share

Dave  :thumbsup:

link

Hope to see you at Soul In The City tomorrow then Dave where you will hear a great mix of sounds. From classic well known & well loved oldies to some of the forgotten or neglected oldies that should be heard out & about. This months guest is Nick Hackett who played such a great spot @ Johnny "Nylons" birthday bash a couple of months back. Full details below :

Soul In The City

@

ViVo

17 Watling Street

London EC4

Nearest tubes Mansion House, Bank, Cannon St., Monument (DLR), St Pauls.

Stations: London Bridge, Liverpool St., Fenchurch St. & Cannon St. & 5 Minutes walk from City Thameslink & numerous buses 8,15,23,25,242,521 etc. Several night buses run nearby for the return journey if you fancy staying late.

6.30pm -12.30am FREE entry before 7pm then £4

This month's guest: Nick Hackett

DJ's: Dave Greenhill, Martin Thomson Mac & Paul McKay playing top notch northern soul from original 45s only. The only way to do it ! Plenty of underplayed and forgotten gems amongst classic floorfillers and current biggies.

Wonderful surroundings, superb talc friendly dance floor and great company guaranteed.

All welcome- come straight from work (we do!)

Dave G 0797 1876661

www.soulitc.co.uk for futher details

Social source share

To quote Ady

"Alan H has probably got it right, he's knocked it on the head when it dragged a bit, pursued a few other interests and passions, goes out when he wants to, not when he feels he should, and will no doubt be back with a vengeance when he gets the bug again. Meanwhile other nutters like some of us will keep things going and try a few new angles."

Like Alan H we havent been to as many do's this year as we would like to, this is a combination of many things, there seem to be so many to go to, and some of them clash, we have done Scenesville, Crossfire 100 NCS and a few others, but it also comes down to the fact we have other interests and jobs that are time consuming where we have to be adult mature and responsible, long gone are the days of going out three or four nights a week and hiding behind my desk because I was knackered, also the recovery rate doesnt seem to be what it used to be!! Cant think why!!

We will be at Cleethorpes in force holding up the Aussie flag and dancing to RnB and all sorts of other things that we like, dont tell anyone but have even been known to visit the maodern room as has Al H, but only at Cleggy!! ha ha

Really the best thing to do is support the nutters who keep things going where and when you can and keep on dancing

Ozy Duncan and Stephanie

link

I also think when Matt Jahans left, it was a blow to the Dome :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hope to see you at Soul In The City tomorrow then Dave where you will hear a great mix of sounds. From classic well known & well loved oldies to some of the forgotten or neglected oldies that should be heard out & about. This months guest is Nick Hackett who played such a great spot @ Johnny "Nylons" birthday bash a couple of months back. Full details below :

Soul In The City

Thanks for the invite, unfortunately however I am already planning to go to Soul Roulette next week, Stow-Away-Soul the week after (I think) and then am 'playing some records' myself at Wall of Heartache in Walthamstow on the 30th July - so consequently am fairly busy this month. However I do intend to get down to you sometime.

Dave

Social source share

Just been asked to play a Soul/Northern set at a book launch in Leytonstone next Friday - how can you say the London Soul scene is a dead duck!

Dave

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert