Soulin' Around-bedford

Guest Mrs Simsy

Guest Mrs Simsy

Well we decided to go at the last minute & were glad that we did :thumbup:

Got there to see Carl Fortnum doing his thing. That man has some records! :D

Thought Molly & Steve G were great as well.Sorry that we missed Andy's set but I was having a hair crisis! :( Had a good old step about on the air conditioned dancefloor!! :thumbup:

This place is definitely worth a visit, it has not one, not two but three dancefloors! :D

Great to see so many friendly faces there, Geoff, you're always a pleasure to talk to. Steve G, I got some photos of you busting a groove which shall be posted up shortly! :) Toby, who was a wee bit tired from being a party animal! :( Chrissie, who gave me some fabulous news that I'm still slightly shocked about ( :) ) Pete Gent, Andy K, Lorraine & everybody else! :thumbup:

Music was just like advertised, very across the board with some current big spins, a smattering of oldies, a bit of crossover, bit of modern & some new releases. I believe that someone complained about the music which I don't really understand because the policy was very well advertised... :D

If you're thinking of giving this a look-do! :D

Edited by Mrs Simsy
  • Replies 13
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Yes a very good night with a decent sized and up for it crowd. Molly and Lorraine get it spot on right when it comes to promoting an across the board night - there was something for everyone last night musically. Also a nice club, good dancefloor, and not too many DJ's :) which means everyone gets decent sets (and decent money).......well done you two.

Next one in September sees guests Hammie, Soul Sam and Andy Dyson.

Right off to restock the box for the Hobgoblin alldayer......

Steve

Edited by Steve G

Well we decided to go at the last minute & were glad that we did :thumbup:

Got there to see Carl Fortnum doing his thing. That man has some records! :thumbup:

Thought Molly & Steve G were great as well.Sorry that we missed Andy's set but I was having a hair crisis! :) Had a good old step about on the air conditioned dancefloor!! :thumbup:

This place is definitely worth a visit, it has not one, not two but three dancefloors! :thumbup:

Great to see so many friendly faces there, Geoff, you're always a pleasure to talk to. Steve G, I got some photos of you busting a groove which shall be posted up shortly! :) Toby, who was a wee bit tired from being a party animal! :D Chrissie, who gave me some fabulous news that I'm still slightly shocked about ( :D ) Pete Gent, Andy K, Lorraine & everybody else! :thumbup:

Music was just like advertised, very across the board with some current big spins, a smattering of oldies, a bit of crossover, bit of modern & some new releases. I believe that someone complained about the music which I don't really understand because the policy was very well advertised... :thumbup:

If you're thinking of giving this a look-do! :thumbup:

My ankle hurts, I must of looked a picture limping and staggering at the same time up the high street in my spotty coat. :D:D

Quickly sobered up though when some bloke in an alfa sports car (left hand drive as well) stopped and asked me directions at the bottome of De Parry's Ave and then proceded to chat me up............he should of gone to spec savers :( but was a bit scary walking home from then on, luckily the one way system meant I could lose him if he tried to follow me.

Glad you were happy about your news but :(

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
Guest Mrs Simsy

My ankle hurts, I must of looked a picture limping and staggering at the same time up the high street in my spotty coat. :D:D

Quickly sobered up though when some bloke in an alfa sports car (left hand drive as well) stopped and asked me directions at the bottome of De Parry's Ave and then proceded to chat me up............he should of gone to spec savers :( but was a bit scary walking home from then on, luckily the one way system meant I could lose him if he tried to follow me.

Glad you were happy about your news but :D

QoFxx

You walked home on your own? :)

We came to look for you before we left (toothache came back! :) ) but couldn't see you-probably walked right past you! :D

Pictures are up! :(

Guest toby

An awesome evenings entertainment indeed,well done to Molly & Lorraine a perfect night out.

As stated previous not one but three dancefloors,music to die for,great sets from all the DJs last night.

Steve G must have had a secret lottery win :( by being able to fund to purchases of very top notch tunes,only messin' Steve most of those tunes you've had for years,in your words to another face "only played out stuff in the back of the box" :( .Thanks for playing my request mate,it even got me on the dancefloor rather than the carpets for a change...it was noted ...

Molly , Andy K, & Carl Fortnum all played great records to make for a perfect night...well done boys..

I took along my new wonderfull lady friend(and she is a lady)Jules to meet my adopted parents my mum Chrissie(o) & my dad Geoff..all in jest folks,

Jules loved it she was giving it loads of strutting on the dance floor ...good on ya girl,so much so she said she'll be back for more.

Loads of proper soul friends in last night you know who you are and thanks for the support and for making Jules feel most welcome.

Nice to see Cliff Steele out in Bedford,thats two nights on the trot weve bumped into each other,ill be in touch very soon Cliff ref Groovesville :) .

Anyway this is a must do soul night,if you aint been yet your missing out big time,its a real treat of a night...trust me..

Toby.

post-505-1241363075_thumb.jpg

Edited by toby
Guest Andy Kempster

had a brilliant time last night. thanks have to go to Molly and Lorraine for asking me to play.

everyone was definitely up for it and i have to say that this was the most across the board night i have ever been to and i learned a lot. the music was outstanding all night taking in 60's right up to new release. :lol::):rolleyes:

for those that were criticising the music policy....get a grip, it could not have been stated any more clearly on the flyer without it coming with neon lights attached...

onwards and upwards M & L a quality night of quality music...be proud!

andy

oh and niced slidy dance floor to boot!

Guest red or dead
:lol:No complaints from me about music policy thought all the djs were spot on.Got a bit too modern for me near the end but that was what I was expecting from the gist of the fliers etc so no cause for any bitching .IMHO there was something for everyone and we will be back,unfortunately not for the next one as it clashes with Skeg weekender but defo after that Molly,Lorraine etc well done (shame about the stairs but thats age :):rolleyes: )

Thought I'd move this myself to this thread.

I had a great time last night at Molly's new do in Bedford, the second one. I picked Steve G up in Cheshunt and we drove to Potters Bar where Karen kindly took over the driving. After what seemed quite a short journey, we were talking, we arrived in Bedford and eventually found a parking spot, it was busy there.

We had a short walk to the night club where the soul night was taking place. Molly was outside chatting to other soulies, after exchanging greetings we went up the stairs (quite a few of them) and entered the club. The bar is on the left as you enter and there is a large dance area with a wooden floor in front and to the sides of the stage where the decks are situated.

Andy Kempster (Hitchin, Groovesville) was on the decks and played some good 60s, the type of tunes I enjoy, you know, the ones that have got a tune.

Steve G followed for 45 minutes and tempted me onto the dance floor with tracks like Sha La La and Love Slave.

Carl Fortnum took over from Steve and brought back memories of the Capitol Soul Club at the Dome. He played the Dells' Make Sure and followed it up with a track that sounded familiar, sort of early sound, might be a doowop group trying to make a soul record. Can anyone remember what it was?

Then Molly took over and played a good mix including a couple of my favourites, Karmello Brooks' Tell Me Baby and Ruby's Feminine Ingenuity (my request). He came up to date with Neo's Smile, Soul Brothers featuring Joi Cardwell's Let It Go and Kirk Franklin's Looking For You.

Steve took over for an hour and kept the floor busy, thanks for playing another of my requests, the current biggie Tommy & The Derby's Don't Play The Role. He also played Ernestine Eady's Let's Talk It Over, following with Yvonne Baker's You Didn't Say A Word, announcing that they were actually the same lady, I didn't know that even if everyone else does. Steve finished with the Japanese version of You Know How To Love Me.

Then it was Carl again who started with some 70s tracks, then going on to the 60s and again recalling happy nights at Tufnell Park.

At 2.30 Molly took over and played a slightly more Modern set after his early plays like Bonnie Herman and Marian Stewart. Anyone at a soul night who's not on the scene wouldn't understand, but we planned to leave, I went to the Gents and as I came out Molly was playing the Exportations' I Want You, just had to get out there and dance. The next one was Luther's Don't Wanna Be A Fool, it was Karen's turn to get out there, and then Molly announced that the next one was the last one. It was Sandra Wright's wonderful I'll Come Running Back, superlative soul music. That was it, but as an extra Molly played a version of Any Day Now, it was by Elvis Presley, b side of In The Ghetto, and it was a good version, imo anyway.

Time to depart, the police were out on the streets of Bedford, actually don't envy that side of their job. We got back to Potters Bar in double quick time, I run Steve back to Cheshunt, drove home and collapsed into bed, 5 am, and I was really tired. I didn't realise we'd had a power cut while I was out, and when I woke up the clock showed 11.30, got up to make coffee and then found it was 9.30. No wonder I'm a bit tired as I type this.

Hi to everyone who I talked to last night, what a friendly crowd; great to see Toby with a smile on his face again, good on you son.

It was a true across the board evening. Thanks to Molly, Lorraine and all the DJs. I'm looking forward to the next one in September with Soul Sam and Andy Dyson.

Top night Molly :lol: ....a great and proper "across the board" music policy, just like the flyer said it would be....superb venue and sound system too..

Always tough to get the mix right when your policy is across the board, but it looked to me that you'd pleased most of the people, most of the time... :rolleyes:

Tunes of the night.........Double O's, Tommy & The Derbys (natch !), Juan Williams, Dells and Vickie something :ohmy: on The Cream..had to check the turntable for that one...superb mid-tempo..(Carl if you're out there, help me out with the artist and title).

Things learned from the night.........don't take a sales box without a torch, take a map to avoid getting lost from the car park :) , oh and make sure I get to the next one :unsure:

Guest MOLLY

Many thanks for all the kind comments about last night. It is still very much a learning curve for Lorraine and I, and all comments will be noted and any minor concerns people have will be addressed. None to date I must add :rolleyes:

All our guest DJ's Carl Fortnum, Steve Guarnori and Andy Kempster did exactly what I wanted on the night. And that was to work the floor whilst also expressing themselves and playing what they wanted to play. I think I can safely say that there was something for everyone on the night. 99% of the crowd appreciated what was being played and danced even to the tunes they had not heard before, nice to see :lol:

You are the Across the board crowd with open minds that I want to cater for. There will always be a small minority which don't like certain genre's of an Across the board music policy. I'm not going to worry about that at all, it clearly states on the flyers what the nights all about.

We are still learning from both nights we have had, but I think were progressing in the right way. And all comments will be taken on board.

Cliff the track that Carl played also had me running to the decks too, wonderful mid-tempo girlie track by Vickki Anders. Can't remember what it was called though :unsure:

Anyway thanks again to all that attended last night, it's you the punters that make nights like this successful. And you have all helped Lorraine and I get off to a flying start.

Flyers for September 26th will be out and about at the end of May, it promises to be an absolute cracker with Soul Sam, Andy Dyson and Hammie all guesting :)

See you all out and about soon

Best

Molly & Lorraine

Edited by MOLLY

Well for me personally it was certainly great to see a good dancefloor reaction to things like:

Richard Marks "Did you ever lose something"

Roy Roberts "So much in love",

Homer Banks "Sweetie pie"

Sugar Bear, Tommy & The Derbys etc

as well as some well known oldies like:

Jimmy Burns I really love you

Yvonne Baker Didn't say a word

Otis Smith Let her go

Antellecs Love slave (yes Toby this is indeed a recent addition to the playbox)

and a few 'not played enough' things like:

Sammy Lee What goes around

and then some of the 70s things I'm currently championing like The Double Os and the Scott 3.

On the modern side things like Rockmelons and DJ Kawasaki.

As Molly said right across the board night.....so hopefully something for everyone. looking forward to the next one already.....Steve

Guest MOLLY

I've now recovered from Saturday and managed to sort my play lists out. So here's what I played-:

11:30 to 12:30

Johnny Howard - The chase is on

Dynamics - I need your love

The Four Pro's - Just another girl

Voices Incorporated - Thinkin'

Bonnie Herman - Hush don't cry

Karmello Brooks - Tell me baby

Ruby - Feminine inginuity

Sam Dees - Lonely for you baby

Skip Jackson - I'm on to you girl

Williams and Watson - Too late

Christine Cooper - Heartaches away my boy