Mighty Marvelos

grant

• Replies 23
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Butch started playing it again,hence the hike in price,you can have mine as a pressy at heywood:thumbup:

jeez is that why??:huh: think i'll sendhim alist of the shite in my box andask him toplay thema few times andi'll give him a cut of the proceedings when i rake in the tidy sums on ebay :laugh:

a prezzie for moi, so kindthumbsup.gif

Social source share

kin ellthis is shooting up in price these days!!

https://cgi.ebay.com/MIGHTY-MARVELOWS-Talkin-Bout-Ya-Baby-NORTHERN-SOUL-HEAR_W0QQitemZ330342956880QQcategoryZ306QQcmdZViewItem

rarely see the white demos but sold mine about 2yr ago for about £20.00

"In the morning" was probably their biggest hit on Black radio, bigger than "I do", it still gets played on the radio every week here in Chicago. In Chicago when you see that record you pass over it.

Social source share

No. If you look at Ebay completed listings there's a lot below $13. Just a daft bidder.

ROD

has been appearing on certain lists of late at around the £20 plus mark though Rod. with the silly prices of some crap around though this is VFM!! Cracking tune, first heard it spun around 1990 by Paul Johnson at the Hyde Botanical Niter, loved it from the minute I heard it.

Edited by grant
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Big tune at the Oddfellows in Leicester in the 80s and always a great dancer. I didn't know Butch was playing it out, but i gave it a spin at Move On Soul Night in June, only 50 people heard it, but you never know... laugh.gif

Social source share

Well at Oscar Wildes(Berlin) saturday he played Timmy Thomas-Whats bothering me.....and it sounded f++kin magic ! just watch that go up in price(should be hard to locate as well) had´nt heard it since Yate.

Steve

Ted gave this a spin at the last Bidds,first got plays at the Mecca courtesy of CC..Used to be readily available BACK IN THE DAY biggrin.gif ,but as you say watch price go.

Social source share

Well at Oscar Wildes(Berlin) saturday he played Timmy Thomas-Whats bothering me.....and it sounded f++kin magic ! just watch that go up in price(should be hard to locate as well) had´nt heard it since Yate.

Steve

lotsa underplayed stuff out there - one of my faves not heard out since it was a c/up at wigan is yvonne vernee - does he love me anymore (think it was c/.up as vickie baines - does he love me anymore) great tune that didnt break the bank!!

Social source share

No. If you look at Ebay completed listings there's a lot below $13. Just a daft bidder.

ROD

yes.gif

I was talking to someone about this phenomenen the other day - people buying records at any price cos either they are either classics or someone has started playing it. Rather than because it is something they really like.

I referred to this as "train-spotting northern soul"

(just making my claim on this phrase before it comes into common use thumbsup.giflaugh.gif )

I played The Mighty Marvellos a couple of times at These Old Shoes in the late 90's, it cost me a dollar and came in a pack of stuff bought when I'd just started collecting records. I thought it was great but for some reason it never went up in price then. Funnny that unsure.gif

Cheers

Paul

Social source share

Ted gave this a spin at the last Bidds,first got plays at the Mecca courtesy of CC..Used to be readily available BACK IN THE DAY biggrin.gif ,but as you say watch price go.

I suppose the smilie means you've got one that you paid 50p for? GIT

Back on topic, I wish I was Butch's best mate, it would be a career in its own right - "hello mate, I've just bought 10 copies of Fred Blogs for $4.99 each, give it a few spins for us and I'll knock em out at £100. You'll get the usual 20%, cheers Pal"

ph34r.gifph34r.gifph34r.gif

Social source share

I suppose the smilie means you've got one that you paid 50p for? GIT

Back on topic, I wish I was Butch's best mate, it would be a career in its own right - "hello mate, I've just bought 10 copies of Fred Blogs for $4.99 each, give it a few spins for us and I'll knock em out at £100. You'll get the usual 20%, cheers Pal"

ph34r.gifph34r.gifph34r.gif

Cynic!!laugh.gif

Social source share

Isn't this one of Dave Evison's spins in Mr. M's at a time when the rest of us wouldn't entertain it in the main room cos it was only worth thruppence!

All credit to him cos it's always sounded on a par with 45s that go for a lot more. Plenty about though.

ROD

Pretty sure it was a main room spin for him 80/81 Rod, as I never really used to go into M's much.

One of the many great things he was spinning at the time to be honest.

And very interesting to hear it out almost everwhere I have been lately, another one that no doubt every man and his sheep will be chasing now......

Social source share

lotsa underplayed stuff out there - one of my faves not heard out since it was a c/up at wigan is yvonne vernee - does he love me anymore (think it was c/.up as vickie baines - does he love me anymore) great tune that didnt break the bank!!

I sold that Richard then. I think it's quite rare. I've not seen many at all. Never had a copy since.

ROD

Social source share

I sold that Richard then. I think it's quite rare. I've not seen many at all. Never had a copy since.

ROD

saw one not that long ago - was around £150 on a list, been on ebay once or twice too, wnet for around the same price

Social source share

Guest the soulster

i personally love the marvelos lp which is in stereo the brass sections are great especially on your little sister and talkin bout your baby.

Social source share

Im amazed that their best outing and for deep purists one of the greatest records ever has not been mentioned "im wihtout a girl" its up there for me with the likes of the icemen on the same logo ,as th epitome of group harmony soul! I agree with Val that talking about my baby is a sensational record,bollocks that its rare or not,as for Butch playing it and the price rocketing well-bigger fools them if there gonna pay silly money for a £10 record albelt a fantastic one!!!!

BAZ A

Social source share

Im amazed that their best outing and for deep purists one of the greatest records ever has not been mentioned "im wihtout a girl" its up there for me with the likes of the icemen on the same logo ,as th epitome of group harmony soul! I agree with Val that talking about my baby is a sensational record,bollocks that its rare or not,as for Butch playing it and the price rocketing well-bigger fools them if there gonna pay silly money for a £10 record albelt a fantastic one!!!!

BAZ A

Hi Baz , the other side "I'm so confused" is awesome , i've been playing that out all the time , will that go up in price coz i'm playing it whistling.giflaugh.gif doubt it , it might go down laugh.gif xxx

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert