Tell Me Your Top Tunes! Current Or All Time

Guest greentangerine

Guest greentangerine

New to the site and building a collection and trying to broaden my horizons... i'm 31 so exposure to actual events has been limited... but I try. So whatever feed back I get I will build a playlist and live with it for a few days, see what sticks. Been doing the same for a while with DJ's top 5's and found some great stuff.

My current fav's are in no order:

Can't Satisfy - Impressions

I got the fever - Creation

My Man, A sweet Man - Millie Jackson

Lonely for you Baby - Sam Dees

Baby Hit and Run - Contours

Here I go again - Archie Bell

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Matt Male

My 5 current faves/plays would be

Big Lucky - Stop Arguing Over Me - M.O.C.

Betty Wilson - Don't Give Up - Dayco

Queenie Lyons - Drown In My Own Tears - Deluxe

Jimmy Lewis - Let Me Know - Minit

Al Robinson - Sho Bout Drove Me Wild - Pulsar

Social source share

New to the site and building a collection and trying to broaden my horizons... i'm 31 so exposure to actual events has been limited... but I try. So whatever feed back I get I will build a playlist and live with it for a few days, see what sticks. Been doing the same for a while with DJ's top 5's and found some great stuff.

Sorry to be negative to someone asking for help, but you can't get the true feeling of this music from playing them on an MP3 player. You have to be in a dark seedy club, with a good sound system, with other like minded souls.

Records from my past that provided seminal moments the first time I heard them are -

JOHNNY SAYLES - I CAN'T GET ENOUGH - ST LAWRENCE

LINDA JONES - I JUST CAN'T LIVE MY LIFE - W.BROS

YOUNGHEARTS - A LITTLE TOGETHERNESS - SOULTOWN

There are many more, but these three are cornerstones of perfection of each genre, male vocal, female vocal and group soul. If you haven't heard these before, well, I would love to be in your shoes and hearing them again for the first time.

Phil.

Social source share

Guest greentangerine

My 5 current faves/plays would be

Big Lucky - Stop Arguing Over Me - M.O.C.

Betty Wilson - Don't Give Up - Dayco

Queenie Lyons - Drown In My Own Tears - Deluxe

Jimmy Lewis - Let Me Know - Minit

Al Robinson - Sho Bout Drove Me Wild - Pulsar

Well I don't have any of them, so best get hunting tonight!!!

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Well I don't have any of them, so best get hunting tonight!!!

I agree with Phil, don't bother buying these or downloading them, come to Move On on 18th and you can hear them out loud and dance to them. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest greentangerine

I live in York and soul venues seem a bit limited, a few guys doing Motown type nights in hotels, and a good one just started in tadcaster every 3 months. But other than that I struggle really. Plus my dad is the only person who shares an interest with me, and he likes what he likes and thats it. So getting a pal to tag along in normally a chore.

But I am trying!!!

Social source share

Guest greentangerine

Sorry to be negative to someone asking for help, but you can't get the true feeling of this music from playing them on an MP3 player. You have to be in a dark seedy club, with a good sound system, with other like minded souls.

Records from my past that provided seminal moments the first time I heard them are -

JOHNNY SAYLES - I CAN'T GET ENOUGH - ST LAWRENCE

LINDA JONES - I JUST CAN'T LIVE MY LIFE - W.BROS

YOUNGHEARTS - A LITTLE TOGETHERNESS - SOULTOWN

There are many more, but these three are cornerstones of perfection of each genre, male vocal, female vocal and group soul. If you haven't heard these before, well, I would love to be in your shoes and hearing them again for the first time.

Phil.

Two of them are cracking.... 3rd one still not doing it....

but Thanks, I just need to find someone playing Johnny Sayles now... in a seedy club!!!

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I live in York and soul venues seem a bit limited, a few guys doing Motown type nights in hotels, and a good one just started in tadcaster every 3 months. But other than that I struggle really.

I think there are a few things in York and lots in Yorkshire. There is Harry Crosby's Yorksoultrain on September 12th, in York. Look in Events on here.

Social source share

Hello Mr Green,

Don't know about my faves - I can never choose there's just too many.

There are so many great tunes, so I've concentrated on male/male group vocal 60's Soul and I'm sure others can point you toward others genres i.e. female, crossover, 70's etc etc.

So for you starting out, I've listed five tunes that are fantastic all time classics and are relatively cheap on original vinyl - there is no substitute for this format!

BTW, you do realise that this scene is an addiction and alot more expensive than many so go careful and buy wisely thumbsup.gif

• NF Porter - Keep On Keeping On - Lizard
  • Dells - Make Sure - Cadet
  • Jimmy Robins - I Can't Please You - Jerhart
  • Precisions - If This Is Love - Drew
  • Jimmy Holiday - New Breed - Diplomacy

Regards...

Social source share

Hello Mr Green,

Don't know about my faves - I can never choose there's just too many.

There are so many great tunes, so I've concentrated on male/male group vocal 60's Soul and I'm sure others can point you toward others genres i.e. female, crossover, 70's etc etc.

So for you starting out, I've listed five tunes that are fantastic all time classics and are relatively cheap on original vinyl - there is no substitute for this format!

BTW, you do realise that this scene is an addiction and alot more expensive than many so go careful and buy wisely thumbsup.gif

• NF Porter - Keep On Keeping On - Lizard
  • Dells - Make Sure - Cadet
  • Jimmy Robins - I Can't Please You - Jerhart
  • Precisions - If This Is Love - Drew
  • Jimmy Holiday - New Breed - Diplomacy

Regards...

and another 5 crackers from me which will probably be different again next week shades.gif

say girl - lonnie russ

oliver joy - keep love growing

superiors - i'd rather die

dave charles - aint gonna cry no more

mac staten & nomads - there she goes

Grant

Social source share

I live in York and soul venues seem a bit limited, a few guys doing Motown type nights in hotels, and a good one just started in tadcaster every 3 months. But other than that I struggle really. Plus my dad is the only person who shares an interest with me, and he likes what he likes and thats it. So getting a pal to tag along in normally a chore.

But I am trying!!!

York Soul Club in Clifton Moor is held first Saturday every month and is class. :thumbup:

Suz

x

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert